Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrain

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How important is an Terrain function for you?
Very important
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
not so important, but i could need it
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Not important
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
this is ********
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Terrain Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

First, just to be clear, thats not just an simple feature request. I know that this feature is maybe discussed several times and i also know that this feature is already present (Terrain Plug-in). And mainly, i want just to make a discussion about this feature. Is it important? How can it be realized? Would it make more Pro-Buyers? Wink

Im making levels. Also called maps Wink . Generally, indoor maps. Indoor mapping is very cool and complicated. Especially when you work with high detail geometry. But it also has benefits: lesser work, better optimizations possible, higher detail. Cool.

Im also interested on outdoor maps. Maps who combine indoor (houses and other buildings) design and terrain. DeleD is capable of modeling for indoor. But not for outdoor. For an outdoor map, you need an terrain generator (or something else) based on heightmaps. You can edit the heightmap directly or edit the map over an 3D-interface.

DeleD has this already. Theoretically. Its just an plugin. And its useful. But not powerful enough. There are way to much polygons created. And high detailed terrain can only be made with intricacies.

The question is: What the heck do i mean with high detailed terrain. Difficult question. Detailed terrain means terrain, that is so made, like the artist has it in mind. Example: An artist wants to make 2 hills. The first should be half as large the second is. He wants that. Yes. But when he tries to paint that on the heightmap, the second is smaller than the first. I think you know what i mean? Wink

Let the discussion begin! (or something)

Wfr, Sindwiller
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think:

1) A better plugin can handle this.
The current plugin makes way too many polygons. We could all band together and make a nice plugin, but there are already existing terrain programs out there that export to obj. Deled in turn, can import obj. The best terrain editors are the best terrain editors because all they are is terrain editors.

2) It's not jereon and pj's job to add every feature under the sun. They are best left to fixing bugs, improving old functionality, and adding new features that help people in every area of modelling.
Team member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best terrain editors are the best terrain editors because all they are is terrain editors.
I think this says it all Wink .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Warfare Unlimited
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest at most just adding a height map/texture import.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warfare Unlimited wrote:
I would suggest at most just adding a height map/texture import.

Youve got it Smile . It doesnt need more than an heightmap passing. Nothing mroe, nothing lesser.

Wfr, Sindwiller
vincent-v

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's very important to make outdoor maps. I think a good terrain editor would be like that :

- You can import a heightmap and modifiy terrain directly in 3d view with a brush
- Tiling texture (maybe multi-layer with alpha blending ?) like UT2K4 or a big texture, like Far Cry.
Basiror
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

editing the topology to create overhangs or maybe caves should also be considered

the best solution in my eyes would be nurbs driver terrain, you can handle simple heightmaps and with some controlpoint manipulation you can create caves as well.

combined with a texture painting tool, you have a terrain surface and a paint tool that allows you to draw pieces of arbitrary textures onto the terrain and the blend factors per texel are stored in a external file.

for the final export you could combine the texture layers to a unique texture including unique normal map, that can be used to render the terrain
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this more as a task for plugins here. Would painting the blend information to the vertices only be sufficient or does this need to be done per texel?
Basiror
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

per texel, thats the clue and the reason why you combine the textures into a final texture

this way you can blend an arbitrary amount of textures with only 2 texture units required for rendering them

gf8xxxx can handle 16 textures at once thats 8x(color & normal map) results in 16 texture lookups in the fragment shader, a texture lookup costs several hundred cycles and stalls the fragmentshader thread,

combining them per texel requires you to implement some kind of texture streaming system ala quake4 mega textures, but increases your rendering speed enormously

plus adds a lot of additional detail

P.S.: As an implementation advice, if you implement such a system your need to sample in the target space e.g.: get uv coordinate in target image (u,v) and interpolate in the source image (the blended layers) via trilinear(bilinear per mipmap & linear between mipmaps) filtering, this guarantees you a sharp texture

I can assist you since I plan to implement something similar in my own 3d engine project, just leave me a pm or contact me per mail
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you create a plugin for this yourself, since you seem to know what you're talking about? (no offence intended)
Basiror
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since its not quite compatible with the plugin system currently implemented

- currently there are no nurbs surfaces implemented
- I had to write my own 3d view with user interaction and combine the textures, but there s no way I can preserve the information about which layers have been combined
thats not really a feature that is suited for a plugin, it features a whole new primitive (nurbs patches) and for the sake of efficiency this is really part of the core of deled.

One could implement is as some kind of multi pass renderer with alpha blending enabled

this however requires an arbitrary number of textures per material which is currently not supported (only 3 layers + lightmap)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: