Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASE Exporter

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: ASE Exporter Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Ive found a new engine and its really cool. The only problem is the one, that i can't export directly from DeleD into .ase so i can use the model in the engine.

Wfr, Sindwiller
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ca3de uses its own level editor. An in-house modified version of tread3d's source. You should use that one to create content for the engine.
They used to work with hammer-worldcraft and a special work-around to use WAD library materials but now CaWed (their editor) does all the job and saves them from any legal issues they ran into using hammer.
Quote:
Ive found a new engine

hehehe, well, it's not so new, believe me. Carsten (its author) has been working for a long time on it. Serious Development started in 1994. Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look myself and I think he's doing a good job. The only drawback I see is that he doesn't seem to even want to consider other 3D modellers. CaWE it is, and nothing more. If he really wants his engine to be used by a very broad adience, he should open up for other 3D editors and fileformats. IMHO of course. Wink
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didnt noticed that, CaWe ist only the Level Editor. For basic lvl geometry, it must be used. For static models etc., you need a external modeler.

Well, im using DeleD as my modeler. So i export my models from DeleD into OBJ, then, with Blender into ASE. The problem is that i need too much time for exporting everything and there are too much problems with the models itself. For example, the Blender ASE exporter does not write a material. But CA3DE needs a material list to load textures. For another example, my last model didnt load. A user fixed my model (big thx to Thrawn! Very Happy ), but he dont know what made the error.

Wfr, Sindwiller
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! Now I get it! Wink I forgot about Deled as a modeler! Embarassed You're right. Deled is more than capable of producing outstanding models. Perhaps you'll have problems with texturing and uv mapping but it's always good to give it a try.
I guess you could model your stuff, export to obj and use this obj to ase converter:
http://users.skynet.be/fa201614/irrlicht/obj_to_ase.zip

btw: some interesting and cool tools there:
http://users.skynet.be/fa201614/irrlicht/index.htm
CMe

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASE is a pretty good format. It seems a few engines are using it. I'll look into writing an importer/exporter for that format. I'm sure quite a few people could find this format useful.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMe: Sweet, that would be great.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMe wrote:
ASE is a pretty good format. It seems a few engines are using it. I'll look into writing an importer/exporter for that format. I'm sure quite a few people could find this format useful.

Thats cool! But one suggestion: Can you also write a CA3DE-related exporter/impoerter? Because the standard exporter i use in Blender, doesnt make *MATERIAL_LIST and in some cases, does not assign the right texture to the faces. Also, it seems that Vertex-Manipulation causes bugs in the format itself. However, sometimes.

Wfr, Sindwiller
CMe

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just a little progress info. I've got most of the exporter working. I'm using gile[s] as a test for loading the exported files as it has the ability to import .ase files. It actually took a while to find a program which can do this. So far everything is loading fine into it including materials.

Anyway it may take a little while to finish this. Not much info laying around for this format it seems. I'll grab CaWE at some point and test for compatibility regarding materials.

I'm starting to like this format quite a bit. multiple uv channels, face normals, smoothing groups, animation etc..
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMe wrote:
I'm starting to like this format quite a bit. multiple uv channels, face normals, smoothing groups, animation etc..
The format can save every single one of the settings from 3dsmax. That's what it was. It was .max -> ascii format. There was a tutorial for the format on GameTutorials.com

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I came across that tutorial from gametutorials while searching. They charge for those tutorials now. What I'd like to find is the actual file specifications document but no luck. I think I've found enough information now though.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMe wrote:
yeah I came across that tutorial from gametutorials while searching. They charge for those tutorials now. What I'd like to find is the actual file specifications document but no luck. I think I've found enough information now though.
They don't have it at wotsit.org. Confused

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/ASE_File_Format
http://www.solosnake.com/main/ase.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I was surprised wotsit doesn't have it. funny, those are the same two resources I found. I'm using the unreal one mainly.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: