Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cut Objects

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo_Ord
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Cut Objects Reply with quote

Hi!

I created a tv-sender-tower (hope its the correct word for it Wink ) for my level today. Then I wanted to split it into 3 seperate pieces, as it will be "destroyed" in this level.

To do this, I simply went into vertex-mode, cut off every vertex I didn't need, saved the rest as a prefab, Strg-Z, cut off the other vertices, and so on.

Isn't there a more simple way to cut an object into pieces? I remember from the Unreal Tournament - Editor, that you made a planar and the editor cut the object alongside this planar. Is there something similar in Deled3D?

Here's the tower:

Any tutorials appreciated *g*

Regards & TiA

Lo_Ord
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the polygons are already seperate at the places you want to cut anyways. Just select all the polygons with a box/drag selection and use the extract command, you will pull out a copy of those polygons into a new object (without destroying your current model) and then repeat for all the other parts.

Very quick, and very easy.

-edit-

oops, I can see there is no existing polygon split at the bottom, but that part is easy to redo anyways. Embarassed The top part can still be easily extracted.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With DeleD Pro you can use the Split CSG command to split an object in a similar way to how you described. However, this function is not in Lite. There is no "knife" command where you would draw a line across the screen to split an object.

p.s. Just incase you wanted to know, a 'tv-sender-tower' is usually known as a 'radio mast'.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hpesoj said. In addition, I will probably implement a "knife" method anyway, as it has been in my mind for a long time. Actually, a very, _very_ old version of DeleD (<0.4 or something) actually had that function. Too bad my HD crashed back then...
Lo_Ord
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpesoj wrote:
With DeleD Pro you can use the Split CSG command to split an object in a similar way to how you described. However, this function is not in Lite. There is no "knife" command where you would draw a line across the screen to split an object.

p.s. Just incase you wanted to know, a 'tv-sender-tower' is usually known as a 'radio mast'.

Thanks, thats a more simple method... However, it doesn't work that good, you still need to rework some polygons since there are artifacts resulting from the operation.

What I for example did was creating a small box as the "cutter". Then I put it into the tower (see pic), and used the "split" command.

But after removing the unneccesary parts, I get these artifacts:

However, it's still a better method than removing the vertices, thanks!

@Jeroen: Good to hear that, still I'd like to post a request on that "knife"-function in the Request-Forum, I'd have some Ideas for that

Regards

Lo_Ord
hpesoj
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made that mistake first of all Lo_Ord, check my tutorial for info on how to use Split.

http://www.delgine.com/tutorials/showTutorial.php?tutorial=CSGTutorial&topic=1324
Guyon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A knife would be more useful than you might think for advaned modeling. I am happy to hear that it will be brought back.

Guyon
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo_Ord wrote:
Thanks, thats a more simple method... However, it doesn't work that good, you still need to rework some polygons since there are artifacts resulting from the operation.

I wonder where those artifacts are coming from. I just tried something simular and things worked fine without giving me artifacts like the ones in the picture. I suspect your model to be a non-solid, in which case the CSG routines might indeed be responsible for creating artifacts like that. Is your model a solid, or not?
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad my HD crashed back then...

That's what hard disks do. That's why we all use RAID 1 for workstations, and keep backups of source code in source control.

Because we all do, right? At least after we learn from the first crash ;-)
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's why we all use RAID 1 for workstations, and keep backups of source code in source control.

And that happened because not everyone is a professional and has a workstation. Were amateur, though. Were working on 0815-crap PC's, no workstations at all.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatte wrote:
Because we all do, right? At least after we learn from the first crash Wink
My last backups are so old, they are written on stone tablets...
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sindwiller wrote:
Quote:
That's why we all use RAID 1 for workstations, and keep backups of source code in source control.

And that happened because not everyone is a professional and has a workstation. Were amateur, though. Were working on 0815-crap PC's, no workstations at all.

Wfr, Sindwiller

Sorry, when I say "workstation" I mean "computer you work on."

I lost a hard disk once too many some years back. The next week, I spent another $80 on getting a second hard drive -- there was already a free IDE channel. I also have a Pentium III left over from eight years ago, which sits in a closet, and runs subversion. It, too, got the $80 upgrade a while back. By no stretch of imagination do those machine match what Dell would sell you for $5000 :-)

This post is really my way of saying that RAID 1 is quite cost effective, for any machine. If you don't have it in BIOS, get a $99 "soft RAID" card, or just use Windows built-in mirroring. Adding a $40 DVD burner for occasional back-ups is even better -- after all, the authorities may break down your door and carry off your machinery at any moment, if the newspapers are to be believed.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (Delgine) run a server with Subversion on it. Contents of that server (DeleD sources, website + documentation) are backed up once every week + I make irregular backups of my own DeleD directory every once a month (sometimes even less though) to a memorystick too. Save enough for now. Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, contents are backupzzed every night to a second machine... (and then burned onto CD-ROM about once a week). Heck, imagine losing a week of work! (or even 5 minutes of work, *yikes*).

It would be nice if it wasn't too hot to get any work done in the first place, though Sad Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I totally forgot we're backing up our stuff every night! But then, I'm not the server maintenance guy... Wink

I managed to get some work done today! My room is situated to the north, and it is still doable in here...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: