Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to use texture packs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Unable to use texture packs? Reply with quote

I can't seem to use texture packs in deled anymore?! Shocked I can load them in the manager like usual, but they never show up in the material pane anymore. Not my own newly created packs, or the ones included.

*edit*

Okay, some of nocturn's textures are in the folders, but not the default.dtp? There is no mention of texturing anywhere in the help file. Crying or Very sad Is it just disabled for the next few months until the material editor surfaces?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can still use texturepacks in 0.90. Just create your texturepack using the Texturepack Manager (like usual) and then select that texturepack in the Scene Inspector.

DeleD will convert your textures to materials (so the lightmapper can work with them) and will save those materials to the DMF. When loading the new DMF, the texturepack itself is ignored (its name is only displayed in the Scene Inspector) and materials are loaded instead.

Let me know if this works out for ya!
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can't change texture packs after objects have been placed int he scene?" Crying or Very sad Heh, I'll find a way around that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, it's easy to work around that. The main problem is that you might choose a new texturepack that has less textures than the original ones. A polygon with, for example, texture 24 assigned to it will cause troubles if the new texturepack has less than 24 textures in it.

But to work around this is easy: just assigned the system polygon (0) to every object in the scene and use Notepad to change the texturepack by hand. BUT... you will have to do this in DeleD 0.863 because after you saved your file to 0.90, the texturepack in the file is ignored (only displayed in Scene Inspector) and materials (of your original texturepack) are used instead! (note that DeleD 0.863 handles texturepacks differently and does conversion almost automatically).

Another way using 0.90 would be to create a new scene with your new texturepack, save to a DMF file and then simply copy the contents of another DMF file (only objects of course) into that new DMF file you just created by hand (you gotta love ASCII formats). Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Yeah I noticed the material things in the file. Shocked Oh well, will re-create by hand, it's going quicker then before. I just hop I can change the texture pack while I work?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the Material Editor will do what you want instead. For now, you have to use the Texturepack Manager to create your texturepack before you start to work on your level. Hint: just create a large texturepack with all textures you possibly need and use that one in all your scenes.

Work on the Material Editor will start right away because it is a very much needed tool indeed! Very Happy It will most likely be implemented in 0.91 and rest assured: this won't take months. Wink

Edit: btw, the main reason for doing things like this is because we want a DMF file to be fully selfcontaining. In other words, a DMF file now holds everything about the file in itself. No need to refer to external files like *.dtp files in the DMF anymore.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Work on the Material Editor will start right away because it is a very much needed tool indeed! Very Happy It will most likely be implemented in 0.91 and rest assured: this won't take months. Wink

How long do you think it will take? I will try and finish off a bunch of textures for you guys before then.

(And thanks for all the quick responses tonight guys.) Very Happy
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen is off to celebrate Sinterklaas (our local Dutch mutilation of Santa Claus) with the family, and I can't really comment on the 'how long will it take' as it is on his todo-list (I am on skinning and lightmapping Razz), but we would ofcourse loooove the textures Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start on the material GUI right away and, with my limited amount of time, expect it to be finished sometime at the end of December. In any case, it will be ready for DeleD 1.0 (which is the versionnumber for the first PRO release and the LITE version uses the name versionumber). DeleD 1.0 is scheduled somewhere in januari.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: