Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first tutorial video

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: My first tutorial video Reply with quote

Have just finished this little video on making a spiral staircase around a column. Took a few trys but think it has come out faily well. Here is the link http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/6238198/NewStair.zip.html
Its a 31 mb download please try and tell me what you think.
yanchiko
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check this out...we need more of this type efforts...thanks mate. Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched your video and I enjoyed it very much. Smile You're showing a very nice way of creating a spiral stairway. I'm not a modeller myself so I was surprised to see some of the techniques used. The video shows how to use a number of lowpoly commands and I think this can be very helpful for DeleD users indeed.

One thing I would do differently is not to push geometry into other geometry, like you're doing with the cube supporting the handrail. Using a CSG union would be better because it produces a single object with no geometry on its inside. That's something most 3D engine like to see. Wink Also, aligning vertices can be done more presize by using Shift+Arrowkeys which moves them 1 unit at a time. Ctrl+Arrowkeys will move them 1 gridblock at a time. And finally, using the Spacebar creates a clone of your selected primitive(s) just like DeleD does when using the Clone function in the lowpoly commands. Just a shortcut, really. Wink

Those comments apart, it's brilliant work! We'd like to host this video on our website if you don't mind. A video tutorial section is something we'd very much like to have here on Delgine.com so let me know if you're interested. Smile
Vijchti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant.

I only have two criticisms: first, instead of moving the opposing stairs one-by-one (11:30), it may have been best to simply select all of them at once and moved them upwards in one motion. And second, there were a few times when you began to mumble or whisper to yourself and I had absolutely no idea what you were saying...although, I don't think you really said anything too important when you did that so it should be all right.

I'm also curious: what program did you use to record the video and sound?

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
fik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it Very Happy

Jeroen - i was trying to keep poly count low as posible and i forgot to remove the top and bottom faces of support. Didn't know that about moving vertices Embarassed Have found that using spacebar for clone only works if settings at defult otherwise nothing happens.Hope i said the name Deled as you expected. As to you hosting the video that would be great.

Vijchti - That would have been easier Smile sorry about mumbling it's harder than i thought to do two things at once. The progarms i used were Audicty, AutoscreenRecorder2Free and VirtualDub to put together, Hmmm notice a pattern here all free stuff Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fik wrote:
Jeroen - i was trying to keep poly count low as posible and i forgot to remove the top and bottom faces of support. Didn't know that about moving vertices Embarassed Have found that using spacebar for clone only works if settings at defult otherwise nothing happens.Hope i said the name Deled as you expected. As to you hosting the video that would be great.

Well, you've done a great job and as of now, the video is hosted on delgine.com in DeleD's tutorial section. Thanks! Very Happy You pronounced DeleD perfectly too. Wink

Btw, about the cloning: I've just tried it myself. I created 5 copies with a Y rotation of 64 using the spacebar and it seems to work just fine. Can you give it another try and let me know if things work?
fik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news hope it helps someone. When i get some more time i might have a go at another, so any requests considered. Just not lighting as i am terrible at that or pro Features as i don't have.

As to the cloning tool, have tried more and yes it does work fine. It was me. It is because after you press clone it jumps back to move, I thought you could just press space then. But you have to click in a window first then it allows you to press space.Which you do for all tools when you use them so i guess it makes sense this activates them. Just clone one the few tools that after you click ok in properties jumps out of tool to another which needs reactivating . Well thats my excuss Very Happy
Anyway you have a great program here keep up the good work. Sorry it took me a while to post back been busy on another very low poly project making texture to make it look good.
Fallen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another tut here
http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
but its down, haven't see it but would like to, It would be a good idea if someone has it to host it at delgine as it would be a shame to waste it and not have it available.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen wrote:
There is another tut here
http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
but its down, haven't see it but would like to, It would be a good idea if someone has it to host it at delgine as it would be a shame to waste it and not have it available.

Sure thing. I contacted Dave right away and if he still has that video somewhere and gives us permission to host it, it'll be available on delgine.com soon. Thanks for the mention! Smile
Fallen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Id learn a lot from it, I have a game that uses a lot of mazes and rooms, so I want a good pipeline that's fast, kind of like this diagram.
Light grey is walls, dark grey is rooms.
http://www.avantivita.com/PDF/Level-Maze-Map.gif

I think this method in the video may help.

At a guess I am sure that using the poly line tool drawing areas out, then extruding them, then making a shape, extrude it, then subtract the first set from the second would give us what we need, that is one way of the top of my head, but there may be others, this video will shine a light on the method he used.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: