Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

I was just thinking it would be nice to have a save option to export the map to a new file with everything getting triangulated, or for doing lighting while working on your level. It's nice to keep a non triangluated map file while that you can easily edit.

IE you would have:

Save (like normal.)
Export Triangulated (like normal, but triangulates everything, and saves in a different file.)
Export Lightmapped (see above + lightmapping)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you would want to keep the triangulated (+ possibly lightmapped) files separated from the main file you are working on.

I don't really get the third option, export Lightmapped. You mention "doing lighting while working on your level", so it would
1. Prompt the user for a different filename (remembering the current one)
2. Triangulate and lightmap the level, saving it to that filename (would take a long time)
3. Return the interface to the file you were originally working on.

? What would be the use of lightmapping if you couldn't preview the lightmapped result somewhere during that process? Or are you hinting you want lightmapping in a separate thread, while still working on the main model (which would... err... not be complete trivial to implement Wink)

Also, I think that functionality like this (save to a different filename with some modifications, then return to original file) is an Export (like you say), not part of the main Save/Save As functionality, and should thus be treated like an export. In the future, all export actions will be provided through plugins. Writing a triangulating dmf exporter would be a piece of cake, of course.

As a sidenode, I am currently working on the B3D exporter, also featuring triangulation Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exporter would do your lightmaps and triangulate, but save as a different file name. like yourfile_lit.dmf It doesn't have to do anything on screen, just save out to a new file. Nothing complicated like all that stuff you just typed. Razz

Blitz3D!? blah! use a real language! (just kidding)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for just insulting 40% of our user base, i'll pass on your phone number and home address Twisted Evil

About your suggestion, if that is all it does, what would be the added value? As far as I can see, it saves you exactly one mouseclick ('save as' after lightmapping). Plus it kinda prevents you from accidentally saving over your original file. Which could also be handled by a gentle warning message ('the level has been triangulated since the last time you saved it, are you sure you want to overwrite this file?'). Or is there more to it?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Thanks for just insulting 40% of our user base, i'll pass on your phone number and home address Twisted Evil

Heh.

Quote:
About your suggestion, if that is all it does, what would be the added value? As far as I can see, it saves you exactly one mouseclick ('save as' after lightmapping). Plus it kinda prevents you from accidentally saving over your original file. Which could also be handled by a gentle warning message ('the level has been triangulated since the last time you saved it, are you sure you want to overwrite this file?'). Or is there more to it?

It also saves me the trouble of having to reopen my good file afterwards. It's good for when you are jumping between the editor and your game. Exported triangulated, so you can open it in your game without disturbing what you are working on, and export lightmapped for the same reason.

Kinda the same as in a paint program, where you can export your work to a file format without distrubing the actual image. It's nice when you have a ten layer image for a texture, and you export to tga, look at it in game, then tweak and repeat. Very Happy When I come back to the image, it's not a single layered tga, it's still the ten layered image I was working on.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I see your point. Good idea, putting it on the todo-list. Not with the highest priority at the moment (busy with MUSTs for 1.0 Razz), but no worries: Jeroen and I frequently go through the list and re-priotize (is that even a word?).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: