Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAP Importer beta release

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: MAP Importer beta release Reply with quote

MAP Importer beta release (0.8b)

Use this importer to import your Valve 220 (half-life & co) and Quake .MAP files into DeleD.

Features include scaling, texture support, limited light support, explicit representation of null textures, and assignment of brush properties to the primitive tag.

Get it from our importer plugin section... As this is the first public beta release of this particular plugin, we really need you guys to test it out, and tell us about your experience!
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great PJ!

I'll try it out with Gtkradiant to see if it works. Otherwise I'll try creating some stuff in hammer.

regards,
Alvaro
froqus
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good\nice\exellent =)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my old embrace maps work at all with this?

Not that I expect them to, since the files were extended for VTMR mappig use, just wondering if even basic geometric data could be read from them?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Smile

Vampyre_Dark: Hmmm, they definitely used to work, as I originally used them to create the importer... but it seems I have broken support for them when I introduced valve220 support. Time for the first update I guess, working on it! Very Happy
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Thanks, guys! Smile

Vampyre_Dark: Hmmm, they definitely used to work, as I originally used them to create the importer... but it seems I have broken support for them when I introduced valve220 support. Time for the first update I guess, working on it! Very Happy
No need. I don't want them. I was just wondering. Because they were .map files in name only for all I knew.

I know they used to load up in the real quake 2 editors, but I didn't know about all the unique info that embrace tacked on.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah, I just uploaded a new version (0.85b) anyway, that imports the basic geometry. There are other Embrace maps floating around on the internet, and I'd like the importer to be able to import them... if only the geometry, because the lights, sectors and other special entities are currently unsupported (coudn't find any documentation). And I'm pretty sure the texturing doesn't load correctly either, but none of the Embrace maps I found floating around the internet had any textures with them (at least, not in any file format I recognized).

So anway, even though you don't need it, there is at least some support now... Laughing

VTMR had files call .nob that held everything. They were renamed zips. All the game's texture maps were inside these (like, how Doom had all it's textures in the main .WAD). If the user had custom textures, they were added to a folder inside the textures folder for mapping use, and zipped up into a .nob for distrubution.

The Embrace/VTMR stuff died down too quickly. Despite the fact that the game beat out Quake 2 in sales in it's first week alone, the publisher just pulled the plug on all future planned patches. The devs could not even discuss the game on their own board! The fans talking amongst themselves, and apologetic devs. Laughing

All you had left was untechnical goth kids who would slap everything in one sector, and not read the docs. The devs added a lot of cool features with the first patch though, and NO ONE ever bothered to use them. I managed to combine several of these effects and unknown features to fake things.

I made a nice subway car, and added an effect on the walls of the tunnel to make it appear as if the subway car was moving fast (objects in the maps could not move, so this was very unique). It was fun battling werewolves inside and on the roof of these cars in these 'moving' subway cars. Not something you see in a typical point and click RPG.

Those were the days. Laughing[/nostalgia]
sebarnolds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I just recently saw that you had released a MAP importer and thought I would give it a go. In fact, I have an old map made with Worldcraft that I could use for my testing. Before trying that (I must search in my archives for my old files), I looked a bit on the forums and saw that Torque Constructor was released for free. I tried it and even saved my work as a .map file which seems to be the same old .map format. So I tried to import it but it always fails, complaining about textures.

So here are my remarks / observations, note that I was using DeleD lite:
- The "browse" button for the textures directory doesn't seem to work
- The plugin doesn't care about what I type in the textbox, it always searches for the textures in the C:\Program Files\DeleD Lite\Textures\<map_name> directory
=> I copied all the required textures in the requested directory
- All the textures are png but the extension in not specified in the map file so I thought I could open them and save them as bmp (as I'm using the lite version), and then, I deleted the .png ones
=> whenever I tried to import the map file, it seems it re-create the .png from the .bmp and then complains about not being able to load .png (as I have a lite version)

In any case, no geometry was loaded in the editor. I would be cool if it at last created it with no textures.

Thanks,
Sebastien
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Quote:
Nah, I just uploaded a new version (0.85b) anyway, that imports the basic geometry. There are other Embrace maps floating around on the internet, and I'd like the importer to be able to import them... if only the geometry, because the lights, sectors and other special entities are currently unsupported (coudn't find any documentation). And I'm pretty sure the texturing doesn't load correctly either, but none of the Embrace maps I found floating around the internet had any textures with them (at least, not in any file format I recognized).

So anway, even though you don't need it, there is at least some support now... Laughing

VTMR had files call .nob that held everything. They were renamed zips. All the game's texture maps were inside these (like, how Doom had all it's textures in the main .WAD). If the user had custom textures, they were added to a folder inside the textures folder for mapping use, and zipped up into a .nob for distrubution.

The Embrace/VTMR stuff died down too quickly. Despite the fact that the game beat out Quake 2 in sales in it's first week alone, the publisher just pulled the plug on all future planned patches. The devs could not even discuss the game on their own board! The fans talking amongst themselves, and apologetic devs. Laughing

All you had left was untechnical goth kids who would slap everything in one sector, and not read the docs. The devs added a lot of cool features with the first patch though, and NO ONE ever bothered to use them. I managed to combine several of these effects and unknown features to fake things.

I made a nice subway car, and added an effect on the walls of the tunnel to make it appear as if the subway car was moving fast (objects in the maps could not move, so this was very unique). It was fun battling werewolves inside and on the roof of these cars in these 'moving' subway cars. Not something you see in a typical point and click RPG.

Those were the days. Laughing[/nostalgia]
damn, I edited another post inetad of quoting it. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Sorry to come back so late, but I don't understand your answer... Anybody else ?

Sebastien
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terribly sorry for the long delay, I seem to have missed your post completely Sebastien! Thanks for reporting those issues, I'll look into them a.s.a.p.
sebarnolds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Just to tell you that the latest version I tried worked fine. Note that I didn't bother to use textures, I only needed geometry. Then I used your Ogre exporter and completed materials by hand. It seems that my level has been correctly imported and exported.

Good job,
Sebastien
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good to hear, thanks for reporting that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: