Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stamp Out Piracy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Stamp Out Piracy Reply with quote

A new website addressing software piracy just openened up ( http://www.stampoutpiracy.com ). What makes this site different is that it is backed actively by a number of independent game developers, and takes an active stance in trying to close down sites that openly spread illegal copies.

I urge you all to support it (by visiting, backlinking, reporting warez sites etc). Software piracy might not seem a big deal to most people, but it is definitely hurting small independent game developers. In other words, you. Oh, and me.

It's not about stopping hardcore newsgroup/torrent leachers, but if we can prevent soccer mums from googling a cracked version of your game from some warez blog you might actually start making enough sales to stop working those nightshifts at the shoelace factory. Who knows, you might even see your family again once very fortnight.

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I guess I'll have to close down my kiosk at the mall where I sell my copy of my DeleD 50 times a day for 3.50$. Confused Confused Confused Confused
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, strangely enough every illegal copy we hunt down seems to have your name written all over it... Strange, that... Wink Very Happy

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe, Daark! shame on you! Wink Wink Wink

Interesting link PJ, thanks for pointing it out!
santutatu
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaark wrote:
Damn, I guess I'll have to close down my kiosk at the mall where I sell my copy of my DeleD 50 times a day for 3.50$. Confused Confused Confused Confused

only 50 per day?? Cool you are lying to us....you surely have sold 500....great software (DeleD) Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tatts
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah one thing i've always disliked about the net are all the damn thieves and hackers. I often though about reporting some people that I can think of, but I can't say who and what for on these forums. As it does have to do with 3d programs. Not any of you'se or about deleds program but others that I know of.

(edit) lol, looks like I just answered a very old thread again. Well atleast it's up to date now with another opinion. Very Happy
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software protection is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Trying to stamp it out will be as successful as the RIAA and MPAA efforts to stamp out MP3 sharing or movie sharing. What you can do, as a software developer, is one of a few things:

1) Get into hardware. Much harder to copy :-)

2) Turn your software into a service. If the software is just a way to access an account-gated server-side system, piracy of the client doesn't matter.

3) Make the software worth the while to the legitimate purchasers. Perhaps auto-patching uses a registered account. Perhaps there are new content packs every month. Perhaps it's just that much easier to google, download, install and purchase the software legitimately than going through the Torrent dance. That probably also means that the price has to come down to where it's a no-brainer for most people -- say, around $20, sort-of independent of what the software actually does.

Fighting technological change is about as futile as trying to convince the world that there is no God. You may or may not be right -- but you won't win!
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allthough DeleD is a great program, I don't think it will a target for pirates/crackers. At least, I haven't seen any illegal copies so far. Smile

I think it's because of the available free version that has some nice features, The reasonable price of the PRO-version and because google turns "DeleD" into "Delete". Try googling for a "DeleD torrent", "DeleD crack" or "DeleD serial". You won't find the word DeleD in your results (Awesome naming tactic guys Laughing ).
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracy hits the lower end of the market harder. Here's why:

1) If I can afford to pay for the high end systems (say, 3ds Max), then I will, because I won't have to worry about being a pirate; I'd get support and upgrades on a known schedule; etc.

2) If I can't afford to pay for the highe end systems, then it's harder on me. I now have three choices:
2a) Pay for a lower-end system that may do what I need, but won't do as much and as well as the higher end system. Milkshape, DeleD, 3dCoat, ...
2b) Pay nothing for a copy of the higher end system, and forgo the support.
2c) Use something free, if available. This generally comes with less support and is less reliable than any of the other two options. For modeling, this means Blender, TruSpace 7.6, or perhaps Sketch-up lite.

A lot of people go with 2b). That's not a lost sale for the high-end guys (no matter what the Business Software Alliance may want you to think), but it is a lost sale for the low-end guys.

Same holds true for CAD, office suites, games etc. The main reason there's not enough high-quality, low-cost competition to the market incumbents is piracy. Some would say it's in their best interest to keep at least a small level of piracy going...
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the site this thread links too has been removed.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
Unfortunately, the site this thread links too has been removed.

Maybe it was cracked? Rolling Eyes

I know of several so called professionals who have never purchased a single piece of software, and yet make several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Its all procured via google searches, torrents, even 'sharing'. That was the most comical how several people 'share' software keys, so while one is using one piece of software that the others aren't using, the others are using other programmes from this 'share' circle. The licence clearly states otherwise, but this is simply in their eyes, creative reinterpretation of the contract.

The internet has been viewed as a source of most things data, free of costs. Taking a different angle, anyone remember IBM's embarrassment when they discovered several department managers (in the 100's) had copied MS software to new employees computers, because the hardware managers were too busy, only to find out they have several hundreds of thousands of ilegal unlicensed copies of MS products across their world wide network. That was considered a 'oversight'.. one worth several millions of dollars.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: