Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorial Request: Vegetation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vijchti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Tutorial Request: Vegetation Reply with quote

Plants, bushes, grass, trees...I can't create any of 'em. I'm just looking for simple builds with the fewest possible polygons (and perhaps tips on how to make them more realistic with more polygons, if you want).

Thanks.

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutorial Request: Vegetation Reply with quote

Vijchti wrote:
Plants, bushes, grass, trees...I can't create any of 'em. I'm just looking for simple builds with the fewest possible polygons (and perhaps tips on how to make them more realistic with more polygons, if you want).

Thanks.
That requires use of proper alpha mapped textures. Confused Tree trunks are very hard to do, especially with branches. A lot of pros have actually been turning to products like SpeedTree to handle this.

Low poly vegatation comes down to the texturing. It's like 95% texture and 5% geometry in that case.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VD is right.

Just in case Vijchti,
you may want to download and have a look at this free low-poly tree demo from got3d :

http://www.got3d.com/free/Got3d-Low-Polygon-Tree-Demo.zip

(use the TGA texture BTW)
Vijchti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I figured it was something along the lines of mostly texture...but then I hate texturing things so I hoped it wasn't.

And thanks for the demo, I'll check it out.

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
madcowthomas
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeMagik G3
Blitzgrass 3D
Plant Life
Blitztree 3D

http://www.aliencodec.com/

Give them a shot and see if you like there results. Went thru a list of companys that had software to create trees and planets and they seem reasonable on there prices. And after trying there product TreeMagik was very happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the tree magic demo and it makes pretty decent trees. Very Happy
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cruciform with enhancedtrunk will take about 8 triangles, of which 4 are double-sided, so 12 triangles total if you split them properly.

Make it 14, if you want to seal the bottom, too.

Paste a texture of a trunk on the enhanced trunk, and a picture of a tree (with alpha blending) on the cruciform, and you're done!

This is the ultimate in low poly, if that's your goal. However, with modern cards, a tree of 200 polygons probably won't be any different in performance (as batching overhead will dominate). If you instantiate a bunch into a single draw buffer, I'd aim at perhaps 75 polys per tree.

Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loopix has very nice free low-poly trees, shrubs, weeds, grass. Take a look and see how are these made: http://www.loopix-project.com/
Click "Models" then "Freebies" at the top right.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: