Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blender --> DeleD Learnings

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Blender --> DeleD Learnings Reply with quote

Hi all,
This is my first post here so this serves as a kind of introduction. I joined here to partake in the summer compo and the biggest challenge for me will be in learning to use DeleD as I go along. I have been an avid Blender user for years and I imagine that as time goes by other Blender users will want to migrate over. So, I thought I would start by making a running commentary as I learn as an historical document that new users can read.

Some of what I post will be questions I hope you all have answers to.

Some of what I post will be questions to myself that I will attempt to answer.

Some of what I post will be tips and tricks I discovered.

Some will be in the form of a wishlist.

Feel free to chime in if you know any answers, have any questions or want to post your own Blender to DeleD tips. I'll start in the first reply in this thread.

Thanks,
Scott
scotths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question(s)...

Is there a way to add an edge loop to a model? In Blender you hit ctrl-n, click on an edge and a new loop is added perpendicular on the edge you clicked. This loop travels along the contour of the topology until you click again to set the loop in place. This is a great way to add in detail quickly, especially if you keep the model in all quads. It also works in vertex mode as well as in edge mode, which I love because I mostly model in vertex mode. I see the way to add a new vertex along an edge in DeleD, but not a way to add a whole edge loop.

Conversely, is there a way to delete an edge loop and having the faces fill in all in one step?

Also, is there a way to select a whole edge loop at once. In DeleD it is quite easy to select a loop if all the vertices on it are co-planar by using a 2d view and using a box selection, but becomes more time consuming with more organic topology. In Blender, this is accomplished by alt-clicking on an edge that is part of the edge loop.

I will follow up with any learnings I find on my own.

Thanks,
Scott
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there scotths, and welcome to the community. Smile

All I want to say is: awesome initiative! I can't wait to see the document taking shape. I don't know what expectations you have about DeleD right now and I don't really know Blender but I can imagine it being far more powerful than DeleD at particular point in time, with DeleD having a friendlier user-interface. I'm anxious to learn your ideas and thought about DeleD in relation to what Blender has to offer at the moment.

Cheers! Smile
scotths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some keyboard shortcut translations.

Move
Blender -- G (sticky tool, hit G the selected items starts to move, clicking sets it)
DeleD -- M (switches to the move tool)

Scale
Blender -- S (sticky like the move tool)
DeleD -- S (selects tool)

Extrude
Blender -- E (starts the extrude, clicking sets it)
DeleD -- Is there one?
The rules about which way the extrude goes is similar in both, depending on what type of window you are in and what your extruding.

Selection modes
Blender -- ctrl-tab and then select from the contextual menu or hit 1, 2, or 3, same order as in the contextual menu.
DeleD -- v - vertex, e - edge, p - polygon, f - face
In Blender there is no distinction between selecting faces or polygons.

Those are my most-often used so far.

Thanks,
Scott
fik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome scotths hope you enjoy using Dele Very Happy
Quick answer to your questions
1. No not directly. ( by selection edge ring and connecting you can)
2. No not directly.
3. Yes Alt - L or selection > select edge loop ( after selecting an edge of course)

hope this helps sorry not very detailed but gotta be away now Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotths wrote:
Is there a way to add an edge loop to a model? In Blender you hit ctrl-n, click on an edge and a new loop is added perpendicular on the edge you clicked. This loop travels along the contour of the topology until you click again to set the loop in place. This is a great way to add in detail quickly, especially if you keep the model in all quads. It also works in vertex mode as well as in edge mode, which I love because I mostly model in vertex mode. I see the way to add a new vertex along an edge in DeleD, but not a way to add a whole edge loop.

Conversely, is there a way to delete an edge loop and having the faces fill in all in one step?

Currently, DeleD does not have an option to add (or delete) an edge-loop to a model. I can see how powerful this can be though, so it will be added to the DeleD wish-list.

It might be a good idea to keep your wish-list in a seperate thread?

scotths wrote:

Also, is there a way to select a whole edge loop at once. In DeleD it is quite easy to select a loop if all the vertices on it are co-planar by using a 2d view and using a box selection, but becomes more time consuming with more organic topology. In Blender, this is accomplished by alt-clicking on an edge that is part of the edge loop.

In DeleD, you can select a whole edge loop by selecting an edge and hitting alt-L. See the Selection menu for more options.
scotths

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Jeroen. Thanks for the welcome. Blender was beast to learn at the same time as learning modeling. I imagine the learning curve for people starting here is much shorter.

@ fik. Thanks for the quick answers. I just used #3! And I will use it repeatedly.

Scott
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Scott, and awesome portfolio!

But...Blender...heh, can't help you there. I came to DeleD3D because I didn't want to work in blender >_<. However, writing documentation on how one can go from other apps to deled, vice versa, and deled to engines is a must in my opinion, so good luck!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Scott, awesome thread to start out with!

I think these migration notes are of such interest to other blender users out wanting to test out DeleD, we'll have to make sure the gist of them will be copied over to the wiki at some point. Cool stuff!
scotths

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from a week of traveling and had the chance over the weekend to put in some solid time in learning DeleD. Once the compo is done, I'll have a few tuts to put together for crossover Blender users. Hopefully I can get some screenshots up tonight and start my compo thread -- it won't be much, just learning at this point.

Today's question is this. Does the Lite version allow for unwrapping of UVs? It looks like I can edit the UV layout ok, and I can import obj files that are already unwrapped, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot generate a map from my model like the documentation describes. I'll experiment a little with an imported model tonight. Maybe I can be as true to the competition as possible and just do a basic unwrap in Blender and do all the editing of the map in DeleD.

As a note, I am using the Lite version, because for this challenge, I wanted to see how the free version compares with Blender. Thanks for the welcome Paul-Jan. I'll try to put all of this stream in some semblance of order later in the month -- hopefully some will find it useful.

Thanks,
Scott
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: