Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paths, Empties and Portals

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Paths, Empties and Portals Reply with quote

These simple things i miss most in DeleD! They will complete the features needed for game level editing and make DeleD a full "World Editor".

Paths: Can be used as ai-paths for games with every waypoint having "Tags" for ai calculations. Can also be used for a few modelling techniques.

Empties: A object with no geometry. A empty has a position and rotation and "tags". Can be used as a pivot point for scale, rotate operations. Can also be used as a generic "entity" or "trigger" in a game. Maybe other objects can be linked to empties to create a custom local matrix.

Portals: For visibility culling. A portal is just one flat polygon with multiple edges. A portal should be displayed half transparent and be created by selecting a edge loop from a existing mesh or from hand.[/b]
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paths are usually generated in the game engine.

Empties--> another thing the game engine would handle.

portals--> Deled already has these if you are using the torque exporter.
It isn't a single sided plane tho. It's a box with a special tag that makes it non renderable and non collideable.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pivots can be found in 3DS, and can be helpful - I believe I've already mentioned them to the team a while ago Smile
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@trucker2000: Please tell me what game engine generates paths and empties. I wonder!

@Starnick: Maybe, so you can count me in Smile
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandmaster B wrote:
@trucker2000: Please tell me what game engine generates paths and empties. I wonder!

@Starnick: Maybe, so you can count me in Smile

Torque
asus
8 gigs ram
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all game engines provide an AI solution, so paths may be iffy. But I'd say most engines could produce "empties" e.g. jMonkey uses a scenegraph, so you could just define a node to be an empty (this is actually what I use to import attachment points from deled w/ specially tagged geometry).
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
torque

You forget about all people that use a render engine that do not provide a world editor. As i said these features make DeleD a world editor for these people. Yes you can produce empties and paths somewhere else, but then i say - hey lets find another solution, one that can do modelling and world editing ... and i can name a few!

My understanding of DeleD is that it is to be plugged in to a game development workflow. And i mean any workflow, even those that had complete custom render engines and want to write custom export plugins for DeleD.

Quote:
(this is actually what I use to import attachment points from deled w/ specially tagged geometry).

Then why not make it a first class object in DeleD? I do the same but i dont like to have geometry where its not needed. Its just a workaround.

In my option. If DeleD wants to be used as middleware for serious game development it has to go this way.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point isn't wether or not a person is using a rendering engine or a ready made game engine. It was that most Game engines have this functionality. Putting that behind us...

How would you suggest these be added? (You know PJ is going to ask. Wink )

Portals should be quite simple as it's just a tag line command.

I don't quite know what it is you are referring to as empties other than it a non rendered mesh with a special tag assigned. DeleD 2.0 will include bones. (pretty much just a non rendered mesh) could that be used with a tag that the exporter can read?

As for paths... That would be a group of nodes on a spline or (whatever the name of that other type is callled. Can never remember) This would require deled to have object grouping and a tag for that group.

Btw, I'm not arguing against your requests here. The more info. PJ and Jeroen have, the easier it is for them to decide wether or not to add the feature. So get down to the nitty gritty explaining and possibly, mabe it will be added. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:

I don't quite know what it is you are referring to as empties other than it a non rendered mesh with a special tag assigned. DeleD 2.0 will include bones. (pretty much just a non rendered mesh) could that be used with a tag that the exporter can read?

[offtopic]
I would not use bones for that purpose. They are for animation, nothing else. Besides that, DeleD animation focusses on the use of joints. Skeletons are made by placing joints. Bones are rendered between the joints but cannot be altered directly. Their only purpose is to visualize the relationship between joints. Therefor, bones do not have tags or other properties.
[/offtopic]
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
trucker2000 wrote:

[offtopic]
I would not use bones for that purpose. They are for animation, nothing else. Besides that, DeleD animation focusses on the use of joints. Skeletons are made by placing joints. Bones are rendered between the joints but cannot be altered directly. Their only purpose is to visualize the relationship between joints. Therefor, bones do not have tags or other properties.
[/offtopic]

Milkshape uses joints (what I meant above when I mentioned bones) for special things like this. For use in torque, you can add a joint and name it EYE, for example, and torque will use that eye as the cameras position.
Joints can, and should be allowed to be used for all sorts of things.
asus
8 gigs ram
ash
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, object hierarchy is something Ive found to be pretty useful, though DeleD has it not. Given that, a NULL object is just wonderful for grouping things, or acting as placemarkers. a generic "empty" or NULL object would be keen.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generic 'empty' object is indeed what I would use to solve the example Trucker gave (the camera position). Such object could be used for just about anything because of its generic nature. This keeps things clear and easy to understand and does not abuse other concepts like joints etc.

In DeleD, such generic object would have actual geometry. Everything you see in DeleD is a 3D object (primitive) so it's clickable and adjustable in the 2D/3D views (you want to move your generic object etc). So, I can imagine such object being a simple cube with additional, generic properties (just about anything you guys can come up with Wink).

We have been looking at hierarchy in the past. It turned out to be more complicated to implement that we thought. We might be implementing it in the future though.
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A generic 'empty' object is indeed what I would use to solve the example Trucker gave (the camera position).

There is a lot more, lets say spawn points for an easy example, or triggers for doors etc. And i mention a "rotate around" feature which may be very useful for architecture or level design. The hierarchy thing i personally do care least.

And please do comment on the path feature! I think of it like a polyline but without faces and unclosed by default. I dont speak of beziers or splines just connected points in space. Can be useful for modelling and AI.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be cool if these generic objects had a direction. This can be used in may different ways. If the game engine associates such an object with a camera, the direction could be used as "LookAt" vector. If the object is supposted to be a spawn point, the direction could be used as initial look/move direction for players or enemies. The direction can also indicate the particle emission direction for all kinds of particle systems. Definitely usefull. Smile

A position + direction also implies a plane (direction being the normal vector). This could be used for all sorts of things, such as defining a plane that seperates two rooms (can be used for visibility determination).

If you add a few of these generic objects to your scene and give them incrementing tag numbers, the engine could link them together and see them as a path. It would be even better if DeleD had this functionality in the form of PathID and a PathPos property, but that's probably too much to ask right now. We first want animation and the secret feature to work properly.

Just my two cents. Wink
Grandmaster B
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, agreed! I also dont expect it to be implemented immediately. But i think it will fit nicely into the future. And should be considered for the file formats and plugin SDK of 2.x.

I also would like to have a direction for the empties. And if not you could create two empties and let one be the direction. And using them as pathnodes is also a nice idea, maybe better than mine.

Lets add that, because you can use empties for a lot of different things, the visibility should be adjustable to distinguish pathnodes from spawn-points and particle emitters. A custom color should be fine.

I also would like to have a "tag-library" with empties. For example, you have a text-file like this:

Code:

[spawn]
team=-1
classes=1

[pathnode]
ai_cover=1
ai_hold=1
ai_usepercentage=30
ai_wait=0

You can then use one of these "classes" (here: spawn or pathnode) on creation of a empty to initially set tags (and maybe also the color of the empty). This is like having entitys.

So far:
+ Position (x,y,z)
+ Color (r,g,b) ?
+ Tags

In question:
+ Direction (Coordinate Frame)
---+ Direction (x,y,z)
---+ Up (x,y,z)
---+ Right (x,y,z)
+ Parent
+ Childs
+ Tag-Libraries
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: