Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey! Everybody Model!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ash
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Hey! Everybody Model! Reply with quote

HEY!
Everybody Model!

Its been a year since the last everybody model challenge. So I am challenging everybody, model!

This challenge is also commemorate the release of DeleD 2.0 coming out soon. As it is a renewal, a new chapter in DeleD, this challenge is about renewal too. I am going to present some game art scenarios, and you can pick one or all to model. Each one will be a category.

1) Home Base. you have been tasked with creating the home base of the player character, be it a hut in the woods, or a corporate boardroom. To show the renewal aspect, make 2 locations, one is very shabby, the first place the player was given. Make the second place the upgraded version or new location. The first one doesn't need to be detailed, but the second one should be pretty cool. Even a simple tent and campfire for the first one is ok, the second should be pretty detailed. - Poly count is 20,000 for the second scene, texture size is 2 1024x1024 maps cut anyway you choose. First scene is half that, or less.

2) Revive Spell: this will require the animation from D2, but you can get started now. Create a scene of a character casting a revive spell. If you are not a good character modeler, thats ok, just do the effects, you can use any model you have for the character, the challenge is the effects.. Use planes cylinders and such, with some cool textures and lights to make an animation of all those cool glyphs moving around in the air. You may not have particles to work with, but you can do some cool stuff with geometry and alpha mapped planes. Poly count is 2000, faces, no n-gons, This is plenty for crystals growing out of the ground, or falling angel feathers or whatever. Texture space is 1024x1024 for everything besides the character model.

3) Scene of renewal: the most freeform, create a setting that somehow represents renewal. a spring or grotto, or whatever. A regeneration chamber, an altar of resurrection, or a relaxing spa or garden. This is to be used in a cutscene, so after it is textured and lit, please give us a raytraced render or two from the new D2 once its out.- unlimited texture space and polycount

Scoring is done by the Community to each other.

Criteria for Judging
each one gets 7 points per category, it is then averaged.

Polycount:
Texturing:
Lighting:
Theme:
Coherence:
Detail:
Overall Quality:

Average score:

Deadline : around 2 weeks after the release of DeleD 2.0. That should be around the end of April first of May. Hopefully 2.0 is out sometime in the next few days. If it is delayed, then we get a little longer to work.

If you think the deadline should be longer, say so, I have no problem going through all of May if thats better.

The point is to have fun, and to challenge ourselves to a real world task. I will try to make a generic "battle backdrop" for the second challenge to use as a reference if you need it. Remember, the point is to have fun. Interpret the theme as you wish. Don't feel confined to one category or genre. Better ship for the home base is ok, or the renewal spell could be a bird hatching or something if you like. Just have fun, and renew your passion in making great game models in DeleD, and celebrate DeleD 2.0!!

Edit: raised poly counts to 20,000 on the first one, and 2000 on the second one.

Last edited by ash on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea! Very Happy I think it's a very nice way to celebrate the DeleD 2.0 release. Smile

A few remarks:

Quote:
Revive Spell: this will require the animation from D2, but you can get started now. Create a scene of a character casting a revive spell. If you are not a good character modeler, thats ok, just do the effects

Do note that animating organics (like human figures) can be hard as DeleD's animation system is quite basic. Also, DeleD does not have weighted vertices yet so you might not get the results you're looking for. DeleD's animation system is mainly meant for animating things like robots, doors, elevators etc.

We don't have exporters for the animated models yet (high on our TODO list). Would it be a good idea to show videos of the animation within DeleD in this contest?

Quote:
Deadline : around 2 weeks after the release of DeleD 2.0. That should be around the end of April first of May. Hopefully 2.0 is out sometime in the next few days. If it is delayed, then we get a little longer to work.

We're finishing up the rendering code for displaying skeletons. We expect the release to be in less than a week.

I can't wait to see some results. Very Happy
[K]hajit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea!!=D
and lucky cuz i started yesterday (lucky for me) with making some sort of camp from wood=D
only on commant,,,im going for the first challenge but isnt 10000 a bit low if you say it has to be very good and detailed O_O
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
,im going for the first challenge but isnt 10000 a bit low if you say it has to be very good and detailed

DeleD is a low-poly modeller. Smile Since there are no tools (except smooth) that easily allow you to work with tons of poly's, i'd suggest you to keep it low-poly and add detail by using good textures. Objects with that ammount of polygons would simply drive me crazy. Laughing
[K]hajit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love high detailed models im going to post my first screen in 5 minutes:P
ash
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Excellent idea! :D I think it's a very nice way to celebrate the DeleD 2.0 release. :)
A few remarks:
Quote:
Revive Spell: this will require the animation from D2, ... just do the effects

Do note that animating organics (like human figures) can be hard as DeleD's animation system is quite basic. Also, DeleD does not have weighted vertices yet so you might not get the results you're looking for. DeleD's animation system is mainly meant for animating things like robots, doors, elevators etc.
We don't have exporters for the animated models yet (high on our TODO list). Would it be a good idea to show videos of the animation within DeleD in this contest?
I can't wait to see some results. :D

I think showing a video would be great ! I understand about the organics modeling, human figures or otherwise will be hard. Remember guys, the challenge is not the character animation, but the effect animation. having a placeholder figure there to act as a reference is fine. I want to see some trans-mapped planes moving around, or a dozen little bats made out of a ball and two planes flying around. The cool glowing symbols that shoot across the ground and such. Somebody has to animate this stuff and model it. Particles are great, but they need this other stuff too. Get me some beams of light shooting out of the ground ! I chose this because DeleD's type of animation is well suited for this. It should be a good way to get used to the new tools.

Here is a simple example

something like this, but animated, and hopefully using textures with transparency instead of a simple color set to "Add". Just imagine that with each shape spinning and a texture applied to give some grain. Would look lie water yeah ? Or at least blue "energy". That stuff. 200 poly is plenty to get even some "particles" made of pyramids or cubes floating around. Maybe a vine that unfurls, or a flower that blooms.

Good luck guys.

Edit, I changed the poly restrictions to 20,000 for the first, and 2000 for the second, I dont want to dampen creativety, and most computers should handle those fine.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: