Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milkshape 3d questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unphazed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Milkshape 3d questions Reply with quote

I realize this is probably best asked at the Ms3d site... but they're not as active and I believe my questions might be better answered here anyway.

ANYHOW...

I was wondering if there is a way to fix models where subdividing creates vertex-to edge "holes" either in MS or externally. Or do I have to delete the individual faces (like I've been doing), and manually recreate the new faces to clean it all up. I'm not sure of the technical term for what this is, but basically whenever I expand, scale, or "inflate" a model that I subdivided parts of, it creates holes where two faces seem to share an edge, only they don't, and as the model is expanded, a split becomes visible on the model (or usually, LOTS of splits).

The other question is kind of similar... I'm wanting to use Mudbox to work on my ms3d to wavefront objects... only, whenever I try to go to another layer, it crashes. I have to bring in an already subdivided model (which doesn't work very well, as Mudbox isn't really made for working with premade models w/ extremely high poly counts...). I was wondering if anyone knows A) Why objs from MS are so weird, and B) Is there a way to convert it so that Mudbox will play nice?
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you here, moved this to the other graphical tools forum though.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your first point sounds like you don't have all edges/vertices merged, you can do this is deled or maya, or basically any 3D program. don't know where it is in ms3d

about mudbox, how high are your poly counts on import? I also use ms3d in some pipelines and never had problems with their obj's.
unphazed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've gone as low as 100 or so, and as high as 20,000 (after subdividing 100 ones).

as for merging, could I simply import my ms3d into deled and then re-export it? And how?

Appreciate the quick response, btw , thank you.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unphazed wrote:
well, I've gone as low as 100 or so, and as high as 20,000 (after subdividing 100 ones).

as for merging, could I simply import my ms3d into deled and then re-export it? And how?

Appreciate the quick response, btw , thank you.

Export it from ms3d as obj or collada and you can import it into deled.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> Other Graphical Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: