Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How you Got good at 3D modelling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: How you Got good at 3D modelling? Reply with quote

So THis is for all you novices as well

When you began DeleD.. and IF you had no previous 3D modelling experiences ( by that i mean BIG 3D modelling experiences ) HOw did oyu learn.. get the grasp of it? and become a good modeller
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mainly a programmer, not a modeller. But I can make some nice stuff I believe. Smile

Learning the terminology about 3d definitely helped me. I'm talking about vertices, edges, polygons, normals, UV-coordinates, triangles, textures, alpha-channel and the list goes on...
Once you know what they are and how they work, you can better understand 3d modelling software.

Also, you should start by using only a few tools. Make some primitives and move/rotate/scale them. If you get the hang of that you can try some other tools, for example: extrude, inset and merge. Once you know those, you can start making something simple. Smile

Just focus on the modelling part first. Texturing is a totally different "sport" which is often quite hard.
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit ok with delgine actually... not teh best.. but i could atleast make a house.... now... after a break, ive totaly lost it
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can make an analogy to painting here. There's something in your mind you want to manifest on the surface, but however hard you try, it all just looks wrong and you can't get to anything, even if the image is clear in your head. I dunno why really, I think it has something to do with visual attention and being able to focus your mind on something. I worked with Milkshape before I came to DeleD, but I made some neat things there too. Perhaps it's some kind of talent I have, because I don't need much time to learn how to do stuff with 3D software. Also, I need to have some goals to modeling, like "I need a house for this game I'm making". I never got anything done just doodling with the software.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have manuals? lol.. I don't think I have ever read a manual, well maybe except to look in detail what something means if it appears confusing.

I found DeleD to be a programme whereby my workflow increased without more knowledge. To find an opposite, open Blender.

The way I work is, open the programme, when I ask myself, 'what does this do' then use it until either, you master it, or it breaks. There is no 'only one way' to do things. Some people may argue that to acheive making object Z.. you must follow the route A-B-C-D... we all know thats boring.. the route is how you learn, so experiment.

The 'pureist' will say, your Z model has more vertices than mine, so do it my way. In my experience that will come with experience, do not constrict your creativity by reading too many manuals. Oh, and most manuals are written by programmers, not users. Very Happy

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for teh answers

IM just said i paid for this thing and now everyone gets it for free Surprised

lol

MORE ANSWERS appreciated
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridwan sameer wrote:
Thanks for teh answers

IM just said i paid for this thing and now everyone gets it for free Surprised

lol

MORE ANSWERS appreciated

Consider this.. I found DeleD months before it went OpenSource and was willing to pay for it. I was told wait a few weeks and it's free. If my schedule warranted me having the fully functional version, I would have paid for it.
It is all those that have paid for it in the past, that assured its survival into the future. You would have been a bit more upset if DeleD had closed its doors now, like so many other similar programmes, and you had no support available now.

Checkout:
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah i dont really care actually

Okay guys ive dedcided that ill aim for a certain project.. and to make this project ill be developing some small skills that are required for thsi project

So can anyone of oyu guys recommend something for me to make.. not too hard... but something that IF i build... will take some skill
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can teach anyone to be a good 3D modeller. An artist can point out certain techniques and 'rules' (albeit along comes the Mona Lisa etc and breaks them).
Personally speaking, you should be the one to choose the project, it will be your passion that will drive you to work through all the things that you need to, to make it work. It needs to be challenging.

You mentioned you created a house before, why not start there, work on the basics, then save versions that allow you to try out techniques in creating greater detail.

My own modeliing is derived from 30+ years in the Building/Construction Industry and being a Carpenter and Joiner by trade. I cannot build a car, a flower and most things organic. Knowing how to make a real window, gives me an insight how it should work functionaly, also how it should look.

Posting questions here, will probably gain you a collection of methods, even how to do that same task. You will choose which best suits your workflow and requirements.

Checkout:
ridwan sameer
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this idea earlier

Im going to develop a high poly ( maybe low.. by thsi i mean its going to be advanced ) house...A small building wtih detailed Door including door knobs etc...

Thank you Smile
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at photos from real houses that have the style that you want, or even use them as a template, like I did with some popular buildings.
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How you Got good at 3D modelling? Reply with quote

ridwan sameer wrote:
So THis is for all you novices as well

When you began DeleD.. and IF you had no previous 3D modelling experiences ( by that i mean BIG 3D modelling experiences ) HOw did oyu learn.. get the grasp of it? and become a good modeller

Through practice. Try modeling things which you have ready access to in your house or apartment. Start simple and move up in complexity. Be ready to make mistakes. Usually I have to make at least two attempts to make a model that looks decent. Keep trying.
Lascar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I Got good at 3D modelling?
I haven't, not yet.
Even before, when I use OpenFX I was not brilliant, but I could create 3D models.
I think Mr. Fletcher has the right idea, you need goals. I needed 3D models because I wanted to create games. So I kept at it until something along the lines I wanted appeared on the screen. I know that for every finished model there was at least four or five previous versions that got deleted.
As far as DeleD is concerned I'm back at the bottom again.
For the last few weeks I have played around using DeleD, got bored and left it, then come back to it.
I already understand the programme far better now then I did last week, but it's all a learning curve.
Relevant to this thread, today, I gave myself a new challenge and visited a website that had 3D models for sale. I pinched a few photos of simple house models and I intend to make my own versions using DeleD. Already it has highlighted the gaps in my knowledge, which is why I keep plaguing the forum members for help.
This is one way I hope will help me get good at modelling with DeleD Wink
harper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: My way Reply with quote

Edit: see below....
Sometimes after editing the article is doubled???

Last edited by harper on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
harper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: My way Reply with quote

I am drawing and painting ever, not remembering when i do my first with 2 years or so.
Later it was fun for me to learn more techniques, i tried all up to oil on canvas.
My intent always was to make visual for others, what was on my mind. So i loved the
upcoming fantasy art, or science fiction, where things are to be shown that doesn't exist,
but looks like being possible. Early computers are hardly to bring to show good graphics,
but it was a challenge. With my first PC i encountered the art of raytraycing, fascinated
by realistic lighting and reflections. But my favorite program "Corel Dream 3D" has some
restrictions: I had to cancel a Myst-like adventure, because construction only with
extruding shapes etc, without the freedom of the real vertex/edge/polygon-method, doesn't
offers the freedom to create nearly all, what you can imagine.
But for long, long years there were only absolute cruel 4-window-programs, which were
horrible expensive and NOT TO LEARN! So i paused the idea to make something 3D of my own.
Just after quitting some 3-4 years of playing Everquest 2, i got newly driven to make
some ideas i got about this new phenomenon "MMORPG" visual for an interested audience.
This was the moment i found Deled.
With this great tool i am now able to express my ideas, can illustrate my stories i want
to see in such fascinating games. Hereby helps me to be familiar with drawing and painting,
as needed to create textures. While working with DeleD i see my capabilities of "thinking
in 3D" still evolve, even i am over 50 years old.
For me, as an "old" artist it's fun to create a scenery, in which i can move around and
take several pictures without doing all repeatedly. For my (browser-based) presentation
i create a small town with a little land around, where you can "walk" around to est. 200
to 300 locations (always with 4 views), and you can enter some houses and instances where
you can interact with machinery etc.
All this i see as fun to make, since i learned to use DeleD.
So, if you feel any need of visualize things in 3D, then here you're right.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: