Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collada/Animations Export ??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Collada/Animations Export ?? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Im new here so please be easy on me...lol.

I have found DeleD a real treat to use for my development and since Garage Games is alive and kicking I have T3D up and running Very Happy . I have built several models for a new game my wife and I are working on using DeleD as the main modeling tool, but we have run into a problem. We can get our animations to work no problem and DeleD makes it super simple, I was very happy, but as fate would have it theres a problem. We can get our Collada exports into our Torque engine fine, but none of the animations are following? I have looked for some kinda of setting to include the animation data but I cannot find one, so Im curious if the collada exporter is bugged when it comes to animation data?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much. Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gbison, welcome to these forums. Smile

Right now, animation data in DeleD is only being written to its own DXS format. We need the various exporters to be updated with animation data, Collada being one of them.

We need one or two programmers willing to work on this. I have no time for this myself, I'm sorry to say, otherwise it would've been done already. It seems to me that if DeleD can export animations to Collada and other fileformats, its animation system would be used more widely...
gbison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Jeroen,

Thanks alot for your reply...

Yes I agree, Im actually a little astonished that these are not working for animations. We thought we had found a total solution in DeleD, which sadly at this point doesn't seem to be the case Sad

I know how it is though to have more on your plate than you know what to do with, which makes things like getting these exporters working properly a much more daunting task. As it is though, I guess the animations in DeleD are really a lost feature at this time since no one can get them into a usable format, which sadly enough is such a loss. Confused

Anyway, thank you for your help, it saved me alot of headache.
butler1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Animations in the DXS format Reply with quote

I got animations to work with XNA for any format that DeleD CE will import by using the DXS file format itself. Don't know if this helps but if you're interested in seeing the source code for it in C#, check out my project.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/betasdk
gbison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Butler, Thanks for the info..

However for the time being, since I need to concentrate on my current project is there something available that I can use along side DeleD for animation within my characters and objects? I guess in a sense a stand alone animation program?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

gbison wrote:
However for the time being, since I need to concentrate on my current project is there something available that I can use along side DeleD for animation within my characters and objects? I guess in a sense a stand alone animation program?

Don't know if they would work for you, but have you tried Milkshape and/or Fragmotion?
butler1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

gbison wrote:
Butler, Thanks for the info..

Is it possible to use frame type animations with Torque? Instead of using the forward kinematic animation, you could use a series of pre-posed models as an animation. It would take more resources to make a frame based animation work and may not be as fluid but it might get you over the hurdle if you don't have time for a more complete solution at the moment.
gbison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys, much appreciated.
John
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm beating a dead horse but I feel like animation support for the Collada export plugin would really bring DeleD and this message board back to life. It would give us a straight shot to T3D, Unity, and C4. I would switch to Blender but the interface in DeleD is so damn intuitive I don't want to leave. :\
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
I know I'm beating a dead horse but I feel like animation support for the Collada export plugin would really bring DeleD and this message board back to life. It would give us a straight shot to T3D, Unity, and C4. I would switch to Blender but the interface in DeleD is so damn intuitive I don't want to leave. :\

I think you're right. It would be awesome to see animations being added to the Collada exporter and as a result, DeleD being more useful for lots and lots of people. Problem is: we need developers for this. I've looked into adding animations to the Collada fileformat and found it wasn't as easy as I thought. Certainly doable, of course, it just takes time.

So... Any volunteers?!?!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: