Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curved Surface Texturing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Curved Surface Texturing Reply with quote

This short tutorial shows one method of how to texture surfaces that are going to be curved.

There is a PDF version, that you can download that I have created. Please do not use this material for your own work, it is for reference only.
http://www.working.yourinside.com/DeleD/Tutorials/Curved%20Textures/Curved%20Texturing.pdf

I have copy/pasted the contents of the tutorial below, for easy reference:

DeleD CE – Modelling Tool

Tutorial – Curved Texturing

In normal circumstances when modelling, textures are applied after the model creation process is complete. Should we want to make our textures follow the curves/shape of our model faces, then we need to approach the task differently.

There are several ways to apply textures to curved surfaces, below is one example.

In the first instance, we create our polygon which is subdivided (A). The greater subdivisions the better the finished look will be.

Now we need to triangulate the polygons (B). You can experiment between the amount of subdivisions and the type of triangulation applied. Centroid Triangulation yields better quality finishes, but increases the polygon count significantly. Using less divisions, along with Centroid Triangulation, may give a better balance to your project.

At this stage, we apply our texture (C).

Then we apply our curves to the polygon model.

In this instance I have used the Magnet tool (D). You will notice that the texture now moves/stretches with the polygon faces. If you find that the texture becomes very distorted, increase the subdivisions, even over a small area (as opposed to the whole model). Being subjective as to where and how many subdivisions you use, will greatly effect the overall appearance.

It is important that you make decisions and apply subdivisions before you apply the texture and make any alterations to the vertices etc. You may consider saving stage versions of the model, as you proceed.

To complete the process, you have to make sure Lightmapper is setup correctly (E). I use a setting of 2 for Blur Passes and 66 for Crease Angle. If you are exporting the model into a Scene Manager, you may have to set these parameters within that programme for scene rendering and global lighting.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work as always there, AWM Mars. Cool
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This actually helped me fix the UV's on my waterfall. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: