Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD units and trigger shapes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevendoomers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: DeleD units and trigger shapes Reply with quote

I've been testing DeleD for some time now, and so far it's been a very promising level editor! However, there's a minor thing that's been bothering me:

My engine works with a space where 1 unit = 1 meter. Apparently DeleD doesn't like that - I've noticed that object creation and camera movement works better with the scale hundred times bigger. I could scale everything down afterwards, but it'd become too much of a hassle, and models imported to DeleD wouldn't really fit in. I can't use DeleD lights, since the light objects tend to be huge in my environment, hiding everything in it.

It'd be easier if DeleD could optionally adjust its functionality according to gridline size, for example (I've set the gridline size to 1). If not that, at least an
option to set camera wasd movement speed would be cool! Right now it jumps ridiculous amounts.

The other thing that came to my mind is that DeleD could support trigger shapes natively. AFAIK the only option is to use cubes with transparent materials. I know that there are tags and such, but eventually the scene would be filled with garbage boxes interfering the actual editing.

Despite the little problems it's the best level editor I've so far tried. I better start writing the plugin now Smile.Thanks for listening!
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sevendoomers

Welcome,Happy you like DeLeD & hope to see some of your work soon.

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DeleD units and trigger shapes Reply with quote

Hello there sevendoomers, welcome to the forums! Very Happy

sevendoomers wrote:
If not that, at least an option to set camera wasd movement speed would be cool! Right now it jumps ridiculous amounts.

Ah, you can this already by setting the Zoomspeed on mousewheel in the Options screen.

sevendoomers wrote:
The other thing that came to my mind is that DeleD could support trigger shapes natively. AFAIK the only option is to use cubes with transparent materials. I know that there are tags and such, but eventually the scene would be filled with garbage boxes interfering the actual editing.

Good point. What exactly do you have in mind when you say "trigger shapes natively"?
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I assume you found out how to change the unit scale in the Options Menu?

Personally, I work in a 1:1 metric scale, and by adjusting the settings, and near/far fade distances, I work very well.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
sevendoomers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses!

"Zoomspeed on mousewheel" seemingly works also for wasd controls, I should have tried that. My bad! The name was a bit confusing though...

Trigger shapes could be as simple as cubes rendered in quad wireframe. Only the basic transformation ops would be supported (no materials or modifiers). Additionally they could then be obtained as AABs with engine specific tags. An option to hide these triggers would be ideal as well.

Heck, even a wireframed rectangle would help a lot Very Happy! Please let me know if I have overlooked something!
sevendoomers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
Hi,

Personally, I work in a 1:1 metric scale, and by adjusting the settings, and near/far fade distances, I work very well.

I set the camera clipping planes and gridline sizes to appropriate values, but there still seems to be a problem with oversized light objects. Also creating new object bugs a bit with relatively small parameters.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevendoomers wrote:
AWM Mars wrote:
Hi,

I set the camera clipping planes and gridline sizes to appropriate values, but there still seems to be a problem with oversized light objects. Also creating new object bugs a bit with relatively small parameters.

By 'Light Objects' you referring to the models used to show lights in the scene? If so, you can turn them off in the 3D viewport, so they are less distracting, again this is in options.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
sevendoomers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
sevendoomers wrote:
AWM Mars wrote:
Hi,

By 'Light Objects' you referring to the models used to show lights in the scene? If so, you can turn them off in the 3D viewport, so they are less distracting, again this is in options.

Allright, another problem solved (although they're still visible in other viewports). I was hoping there was a more gentle solution than just hiding them, but I'm fine with this. I'll stop whining now:).

Btw is there any plugins or anything that would allow me to load textures from zip archives? Is it possible to write such a plugin? Extracting all the game files to texture directory might be a bit rough workaround...

Also I'm having a problem with DDS loading. In material editor any DDS texture (with or without compression) displays "invalid file data". Is there a reason for this?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevendoomers wrote:
Btw is there any plugins or anything that would allow me to load textures from zip archives? Is it possible to write such a plugin? Extracting all the game files to texture directory might be a bit rough workaround...

Also I'm having a problem with DDS loading. In material editor any DDS texture (with or without compression) displays "invalid file data". Is there a reason for this?

If you can work with Delphi, I'm sure it's possible to write your own plugin to load textures from zip archives. Best way to get started, I think, is to search for a freeware Delphi zip component (perhaps here?) to be used within a Delphi 7 solution + check out the Plugin SDK that comes with DeleD.

I didn't write the DDS handling routines myself, so I can't help out there.
DreamBliss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Unit Scale? Reply with quote

Am I missing something? I have no option for Unit Scale in the Options panel, and this huge mesh thing is killing me right now Sad
- DreamBliss

My Forums
http://spiritualexplorers.zymichost.com/index.php
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: