Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple house

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Simple house Reply with quote

This one is the maybe not smart but quite effective, and admittedly the most straight forward way to model a house. It keeps the workload down by doing things in the right order. I appreciate hints to how this can be done better or more efficient.

In a nutshell: you build the structure from the ground up in three layers, and optimise the creation by dragging your model down, so that the grid is always your baseline.

In detail:
- set the grid to 32 (by pressing '4')
- in 'create item' select box
- in 'create cube properties set the size defaults to 40, 128, 128
- select some texture for the outer walls (T2.bmp)

- since we set the height to 40 we first draw several boxes to mark the house and the inner walls
- leave holes of 4 gridblocks (4x32=128 units) where doors are supposed to be
- when you are done, select all and drag everything one gridblocks down in the sideview

- set creation height to 128
- this time leave holes where doors AND windows are supposed to be
- when you are done, select all and drag everything three gridblocks down in the sideview

- set creation height to 40
- this time leave no holes :-)
- when you are done, select all and drag everything four gridblocks up in the sideview

- now for the windows!
- set the grid to 16 (by pressing '3')
- open the prefabs/windows/closed window.dpf
- put one window somewhere

- select it in object mode
- scale the window to 96/96/16
- now fit it into one of the windows, should fit like a glove

- now hit the space bar every time you make a copy of the window, fit it into the next hole
- sometime you will want to rotate a copy of the window 90 degrees around the y-axis and copy these

some remarks:
- you may want to add a roof and a floor :-)
- always set your grid to right resolution at the end of the drag operation, otherwise you will have parts of your model 'flattened'.
- what's really great: how easy you can size the window in DeleD so that it fits exaclty into the hole!
- Dave, I've got my own account
- drawback of this method: somehow the lightmapping leaks in Gile[s], I guess it's because of the method I used by just putting block on block without welding.

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial once again dirkk, keep it up! Very Happy

The only thing I would add is to merge parts of the house as prefabs more, but that might also fall under personal style of course.
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niceone dirk Very Happy Keep going

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
dirkk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try :-).

Here's a lightmapped screenshot.

seriva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice fast way of doing it Very Happy .What program does the lightning in the last screen?
dirkk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Gile[s] - I think it makes a perfect match to DeleD (or the other way round :-).

btw, to other possible Gile[s] users: with the units and scaling above the things I do are
- select all
- group selection
- then select the group pivot and scale everything down to 0.2

Any further scaling I do in Blitz.
Madoc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started with 3d modeling, trying to follow this tutorial, I'm with ya right up until 'select everything and move it down 1 gridbox in sideview', I used ctrl+a to select everything, but can't seem to move it whatsoever.
I am COMPLETLY new at this, so this is probably something so simple you didn't think to explain it, but...could you?Smile
Err just noticed this post is OLD, but again, its prob something pretty simple anyone whos like an hour beyond me studying this stuff knows. How would I extend everything down, or up for that matter like he did.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Madoc and welcome!

About your question: the grid consists of little blocks (boxes if you like). What you need to do is select everything by ctrl-A (you did that already) and then drag your mouse in the side-view. All this should be done in Object mode with the Move command selected. That should do it. Smile Alternatively, you can use ctrl+arrows or ctrl+shift+arrows for precise movement of your selection. Let me know if this works for ya!
Madoc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I wasnt clicking on side view before selecting all.
It worked fine now, and I managed to get through the rest of the tutorial. Only other problem is I used 2 box thickness walls so had to play with the scaleing to get the windows to fit, but they fit great now.
This is really neat, I relize theres a LOT more to advanced 3d modeling but actually being able to learn by doing, and ending up with a cute little reperdocution of my house rocks.
I also really liked learning the technique of moveing stuff above and below the grid so its easier to work with, made putting a roof and floor on easy.
Think im going to play with the textureing next and try and decorate the inside;)
As for the model itself, Its comprised of a lot of cubes on cubes, which means, where 2 faces meet, theres extra polys there I don't need, is that what that 'welding' stuff is meant to fix?
I'm sure in a low poly model like this it wouldnt matter, just a 'reading ahead' thing on my part:)
I'm a programmer and I've tried to learn basic 3d modeling for awhile so I could play with some stuff, I've tried 3dsMAX MAYA, lots of things had trouble figureing out how to make a damn cube. And here, with less then 2hrs work, I've got a whole house.
This program is really, really neat:)
Definatly going to have to get my art guy to take a look at this.
Amazing artist and animator, never 3d modeled and he was having trouble getting started, I bet if I can get him this program and the tutorial, he'd have a house too!Smile
lilcj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

oh yo u need to specify on what u mean by ading blocks of boxes.i need to know how to.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ lilcj: simply select the Cube (which is a box) on the Create Primitive window. Then click and drag on the 2D views to starting adding cubes to your scene.
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice house
but 1 question how can i make a window with glass or cant i make glass with deled ?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: