Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas and problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Ideas and problems Reply with quote

hi,

im a hobby coder and currently doing an OpenGL Engine.
I think DeleD Editor is very good and i especially like the Map-Format.

But there are some important (and easy todo things) not implemented:
At first ... i have an folder with about 300 textures. I couldnt find a function
in the texture manager to add the hole folder - so it took a lot of time adding
all textures to the texturePack.
And the texture packs which are included seems to have a different format ( after every foldername are 4 integers ) ... when you make a new texture pack the format does not have this 4 integers. (lol was very shocked that the map i made myself couldnt load in my engine.)

While testin around with D3Radiant (doom3 editor) i saw a nice feature ... when a light is selected, it shows the lights range... would be cool to have somethin like this in DeleD.

Oh and ... i couldnt find a description of the texturepack-format, well its very simple, but for developers it would be very comfortable to have this in the documentation... the documentation could also include more information about how to write a plugin... i coded delphi for years and its no problem to have a look at the example if i ever need it, but others could need some more info about the functions names return values structure etc.

But anyway DeleD is a very cool MapEditor

PS: add to your uses list (if you re codin delphi 7) XPMAN ... this make DeleD use XP-Styles (still compatible with other Windows Versions)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neq, welcome to these forums. Smile

Thanks for your suggestions, it's greatly appriciated. About the texturepacks: you're right about the "add a folder" option, I should build that in. However, I think I'm going to wait a while because we will most likely implement materials in a future version as well and the whole texturepack idea might go overboard. Besides... 300+ textures... that's a lot! Remember that all textures in your texturepack are actually loaded to your graphics card. I assumed that an average level would only consist out of around 50 textures or so...

About the texturepack format: you can ignore the 4 integers, that's some data left over from a previous texturepack format. I've left them out in the current versions. Wink A description of the texturepack (or materials for that matter) and a plugin SDK have yet to be written. I hope to get some time for that soon but well... i don't bet on that anymore (i'm coding all this in my spare time which is limited Confused ). Anyway, long live the forums, i'd say, because i can always give short answers here. Smile
neq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300+ textures ... do u mean that DeleD load em all to the graphic card ?
if u mean that an engine loads em all... my engine reads the texture pathes and
loads just the textures used on the map ... and i need all the textures in the pack cuz while makin a map its uncomfortable to look thro the explorer window and addin just the textures to the pack that i need... anyway the material system would be a cool thing (dont forget makin it extendable in somehow ... maybe somethin like an extra string param where developers for example can give a filename of a shader or something like that).
If u decide to implement materials later and developin more your texture pack idea:
i had the followin problem with my big texture pack - it needs much time for loadin the hole thing, but the texture window just displays 4-6 textures at the same time. u could implement an thread based loader which loads the textures at the moment the user needs them. The windows explorer is doin it like that (on WinXP) ... u know this feature showin a preview of the pic in its icon ... if u have a big folder of pics and u scroll down very fast u can see the explorer loading the previews.
Or easier just use a thread for loading the textures so that the user can start directly with the mappin... i would implement it like that: first load all pathes and initialize the textures to (maybe) 256x256, then start the thread which loads all the textures-data.
this should be no problem for the users cuz everything in OpenGL havin a not existing texture is just white. hmm no more ideas at the moment .. maybe next time Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neq... have you ever tried to implement an application where multiple threads in a sinle process simulteneously access the OpenGL device? There are usually *quite* a few pitfalls to overcome, quite cool if you just got it working like that.
neq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i already tried multithreading ogl ... sry i hadnt thought about that problem
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: