Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lighting

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Lighting Reply with quote

Hey, havent posting on here as much as i wouldve liked but ive been really busy tryin to find time for studies let alone work on my levels. Just nagging on again as im playin around with the gile[s] demo and was wanting to see if deled will do any better (savin me money getting this package instead)...so how the lighting coming along?

Soz if it sounds like im buggin (lol) but could ya let us kno of any progress you've made so far?

khris
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it, seriously. But to save you disappointment: DeleD won't have better lighting than Gile[s]. The lighting algorithm is (at the moment) based on raycasting, which yields simpler, slightly less realistic-looking results (at least for indoor scenes) than the radiosity-based solution Gile[s] uses. However, as DeleD will have integrated lighting, allowing you to add and tweak lighting conveniently while modelling, using DeleD lighting will hopefully enable you to make the lighting fit your ideas more rapidly and conveniently. And if not, you can always do a two-step process: use DeleD for modelling and designing the lighting, and use a package like Gile[s] to do a post-production rendering of the lightmap for release versions.

On the topic of progress, the basic lighting code itself is about finished (save one or two bugs). What is left is the integration with DeleD. I have some last things to finish up (the beforesaid bugs) and then I'll have a little bouncing-ideas-and-code-back-and-forth session with Jeroen.

To give you a rough timeline: i don't think it will be finished next week (although it might), but it won't take another month.
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To give you a rough timeline: i don't think it will be finished next week (although it might), but it won't take another month.
Cool Cool Cool

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
khris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw ok, well thats still good work anyway. so wt ur sayin is i can do simpler lights in deled and the model with lighting can be imported into gile[s] for more rendering?

the main reason why i want deled over gile[s] is that the viewports are a bit dodgy and sometimes half of my levels are hidden...lol, their loss i guess.

keep up the good work and look forward to the next release.

khris
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krhis: Yep, that is exactly what I'm saying. During production, you place all the lights with DeleD (regenerating the lightmaps over and over). After production, you do a 'final rendering' with Gile[s], perhaps adjusting a light here and there.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting code Paul created is as good as finished. What we need to do is to build it into DeleD. I haven't had very much spare time to spend on DeleD the last month due to work+study but I hope that will change as of next week. Paul and I will build that lighting code into DeleD together. Hopefully, it'll be finished soon.

After that, I will be concentrating on the background image as I want to be able to move/scale it also. Then I will concentrate on placing individual vertices in the scene and connecting them to form new objects. That will enable you to do some more sophisticated character modelling. Or at least... that's the plan. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: