Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightmapper no longer triangulates scenes (DeleD 1.4)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Lightmapper no longer triangulates scenes (DeleD 1.4) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that we are working on 1.4 (quite hard actually), I thought this might be a nice moment to announce that from DeleD 1.4 onwards, the Lightmapper will not triangulate the scene anymore. In other words, you can just conveniently continue working on your scene after lighting it. Smile

Screenshot of the new lightmapper in action:
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens on an odd shaped polygon. Say the tip of a cylinder, or a star shaped thin that was drawn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are convex polygons, nothing special. If they are non-convex polygons (a star???), nothing special either (in theory some texture space would be wasted), but the rest of the DeleD functionality wont take that too well and has hopefully triangulated it by then Laughing But back on topic, there are no 'special cases'. The lightmapper simply doesn't touch the geometry.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, besides that the lightmapper isnt triangulating the scene anymore, has something different changed? Performance, quality, accuracy, new functions...?

And i see that the edges are more darker and sharper then before. Is this also an new feature? Very Happy

wfg, Sindwiller
The Anaconda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay good to hear it! last time i was working seriously on a scene I forgot about that, and was looking at a mess after I did a test lightmap halfway through >_>

(of course then I went to redo that part of the scene in Lightwave so I could do more detail and then export and import that into DeleD and I had to format and reinstall windows and the only thing I forgot to back up was the work I was doing in Lightwave >_> <_< )

and Ive got a new job now (after being unemployed for 8 months) so I can buy DeleD soon too Very Happy

afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gret news! Very Happy
2006 looks promising! Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, besides that the lightmapper isnt triangulating the scene anymore, has something different changed? Performance, quality, accuracy, new functions...?

Nope. The 1.4 release is not about lightmapper improvements, we just threw this one in as something extra. Smile

Please explain that remark about the 'edges being darker and sharper', because I really don't see that in the image? Question Are you referring to the black lines? Those are just the selection lines (my selection color is black) I used to show how the polygons are not triangulated. This is simply how they look when you use the screenshot system with supersampling turned on.
hpesoj
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. One question, does this new update fix the artifact problem displayed below?

trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys Smile

Hpesoj: Artifacts like the one in your image are caused by 'bad' mapping schemes (direction and possibly resolution of mapping changes over each triangle thus causing all sorts of discontinuities), which will be one of the main concerns at the next real lightmapper rewrite. The current (tiny) rewrite had a different goal: getting rid of the irreversible character of lightmapping (1.4 also offers the possibility to completely strip all lightmaps from the scene). However, as a nice side-effect Very Happy:

hpesoj
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, artifacts won't appear unless you have specifically modelled your scene in enlongated triangles. Yay!
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hadn't realized that myself until you brought it up! Very Happy
kaylon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for 1.4 for this reason alone....

I Don't ever want to light anything currently as the forced triangulation really kills a scene Sad ...

K
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaylon wrote:
I can't wait for 1.4 for this reason alone....

I Don't ever want to light anything currently as the forced triangulation really kills a scene Sad ...

K

1.4 will be great. Smile More lowpolygon routines, better lightmapping etc etc... just need time to fix a few final bugs and write better documentation.

Btw, a normal pipeline would involve creating your geometry first, then UV map, then lighmap. Changing the geometry after UV/lightmapping is usually a "bad thing" but, as we want DeleD to be as flexible as possible, we will make sure that it is possible to do so (in other words, no more triangulation when lightmapping Wink).
kaylon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pipeline involves continual lighing and construction...construction and lighting...and repeat...I will make some geometry and light the scene..I will do this for most new geometry...and then I will balance the level at the end. This is the only way to get a well lit level.

Having lights in visual groups or sets is also a must...so you can turn individual groups off and speed up lightmapping if you are only testing and setting up one section of the level.

K
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: