Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD Feature Request forum

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: DeleD Feature Request forum Reply with quote

Post all your feature requests for DeleD 3D Editor here. Note: although we cannot possibly implement every request you all make, please do share your thoughts. Feature requests are used to determine in which direction DeleD should develop, from a users point of view. Smile

Last edited by Jeroen on Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 am; edited 2 times in total
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yayy. Great forum. Now to start thinking of things.....smoke roars....flames start flying....hmm, well, other than what you are already working on.....
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
Yayy. Great forum. Now to start thinking of things.....smoke roars....flames start flying....hmm, well, other than what you are already working on.....

Yeah, it's a great thing to have all requests in the same place.

Just be sure to remember that it might take a while before requests get implemented. We already got 244 items on our TODO list.

If we won't implement a request, we will explain why right here in this forum too.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that means that you will implement all 244 things in the next version? Very Happy

Wfr, Sindwiller
condrula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can Lite member post too?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Lite users can post too! Smile
ash
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python.

or some other similar scripting language for Deled. This will open the door for procedural geometry. better shaders, new plugins........

anyway. Python.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here are the major hurdles I see: (with a smile, of course this would be a great thing to have Wink )

1. Implementing any scripting language would imply opening up all internal functionality for use from such scripting language (including tying yourself to the decided interface, making maintenance a lot more costly), which is a whole bunch of work. Integrating the actual language (be it Python, Lua, Ruby or even Pascalscript, for all I care) is a relatively small portion of the work.
2. Extending functionality through scripting is nice for developers, but most modelers couldn't care less. They prefer stable functionality in the main application to searching through 100's of broken html links for that one piece of script that turns out to almost work, has a completely non-integrated custom interface and oh, isn't maintained anymore. Those modelers that don't mind going through this process already use Blender.
3. Other than that, it would be pretty awesome! Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the excellent points stated by PJ, we do not plan to implement anything that big in the next year or so.

We will be concentrating on improving DeleD as it is now. There are some issues that desperately require attention (e.g. UV's on CSG, better UV mapping) and they will receive that attention after 2.0 is released.
ash
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I understand. If you get a chance in the future, I would love to see some basic scripting hooks, especially in vertex creation, etc. Procedural geometry is pretty cool. It is awesome for making organics like trees n such.

One other thing Id like to see, and Deled may have this and I havent found it, is a Transforms panel, that has Loc/Rot/Scale for x/y/z in one place, that can be modified. Truespace has this, and it also has the great benefit of being able understand basic math. For instance, if I have a cube, rotated on the z axis by 90degrees, I can put 90/4 in the box and when I hit enter, it will be 22.5. You would think every 3D app would have this, but it does not, it is actually pretty rare. It also works for any selection, be it object face edge or vertex.

Anyway, Im sure you guys have plenty of things you are working on now, just wanted to get my 2 cents in. Thank you for listening.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 2 cents are most appreciated!

I like the suggestion for the quick transforms panels, although the fact that all DeleD objects are stored and handled in world space makes it slightly less powerful than it would otherwise be (for instance, we can only do relative rotations). The in-place expression evalutions makes for a nice gimmick indeed!

In general you can tell how much we like an idea by the amount of moaning and griping about how work it would take to implement... the more we developers moan, the better it is.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: