Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorial: Lightmapping in DeleD Lite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Tutorial: Lightmapping in DeleD Lite Reply with quote

If you have any questions or remarks regarding the tutorial Lightmapping in DeleD Lite, post them in this thread!

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fixxer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How com when I export my map, and view in the dx mesh viewer the lighting doesnt show, and my level looks all blocky?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because the X exporter does not export UV coordinates for your lightmap. If you want to work with lightmaps, you could write your own DMF loading routines. As DMF is also textbased, it should be relatively easy to write your own routines. Check the Products area for example code and browse the forums for more info about how to write your own loaders.

I've heard something about X being able to support more sets of UV coordinates per polygon. If that's correct, we'll enhance our X exporter with that functionality sometime in the future. Smile
Fixxer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehh...
Does Giles lightmapping work with dx with out me needing to write my own loading code?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know, as I only have the demo of Gile[s] and that doesn't allow saving, but my guess would be "no". Very Happy

However, perhaps Gile[s] also supports generation of per-vertex lighting (as an alternative to lightmapping), and I am pretty sure the .X file format does support that.
noone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: umm? Reply with quote

hi, i dont know if others have this problem (im guessing not everyone because ive heard of the great lightmaps deled produces, and saw in the tutorial that it looks very pretty indeed) however, the lightmaps that are being generated end up giving a very...well, the best way to describe it is to give a screen shot.

thats taken from the 3d view in deled light
any way i can stop this from happening?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: umm? Reply with quote

noone wrote:
any way i can stop this from happening?
This happens when a light object is intersecting some of your geometry. Just move the offending light(s) out into the open space.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps the light is exactly on the same plane as the geometry (but at some other position). If you figure out which one of the two is causing this, please let us know! Perhaps we can figure out a way to stop it from generating these 'rounding errors'.
rodrix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I am intrested in DeleD because of the Lightmapping feature.
I am currently developing a game engine and read that developing algorithms for baking lightmaps is really complicated, so I was expecting to use the Lightmap textures generated by DeleD and the texture coord to then import them to my engine.

However, I can't find where does DeleD exports the Lightmap textures, nor information about which texture coord apply to each polygon. I can't find the documentation anywhere on this site....

Is it possible to do what I mentioned?
Thanks! Smile
Rod
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where does DeleD exports the Lightmap textures

when you make a lightmap deled will save those lightmaps in:

C:/program files/DeleD pro ore lite/texture's/lightmaps/"your scene name".

but i dont know how you could find something of which lightmap is applied to which polygon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodrix wrote:

However, I can't find where does DeleD exports the Lightmap textures, nor information about which texture coord apply to each polygon. I can't find the documentation anywhere on this site....

Is it possible to do what I mentioned?

Hi there rodrix and welcome to these forums! Smile

As elementrix said, you can find the lightmaps themselfs in the Textures\Lightmaps\[yourscene] directory. The UV coordinates are stored per polygon in the DMF file. If a polygon is using a material having more than 1 layer, the polygon stores multiple sets of UV coordinates in the DMF. One for each layer. As lightmaps are threated as a layer of a material, you can find the lightmap UV coordinates in the polygon structure as well. Read the Help file for more info! Hope this helps.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sidenote, in the DMF file the material layer will always be the 4th layer in the material definition. Any unused-layers in between (usually the 2nd and 3rd) will just be empty.

In the polygon data, only uv coordinates for used material layers are provided.
rodrix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi there rodrix and welcome to these forums! Smile

As elementrix said, you can find the lightmaps themselfs in the Textures\Lightmaps\[yourscene] directory. The UV coordinates are stored per polygon in the DMF file. If a polygon is using a material having more than 1 layer, the polygon stores multiple sets of UV coordinates in the DMF. One for each layer. As lightmaps are threated as a layer of a material, you can find the lightmap UV coordinates in the polygon structure as well. Read the Help file for more info! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome! Smile

Could you post a link to the specifications of the DMF file? (do they exist?) If it's easy to parse, I will decide to use DeleD as my World Editor.

I am using C++ and OpenGL.

Thank you so much!,
Rodrix
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A (rather minimal) specification of the .DMF file format is contained in the help file (Info -> Help from the DeleD menu, Developer Resources -> DMF Formats). If you have any questions... ask way! You can also take a look at some example code in the Developer Resources topic.

However, we are about to release DeleD 1.6 (this month), which will offer a new, fully documented, .XML based file format (but will also be backwards compatible with the .DMF file format of course). You might want to wait for that, as the new file format is a lot more... future-proof, so to speak.
Sang33ta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't DeleD Lite generate the light map as a second .x file?

Light Map Maker and Giles do it this way then in Dark Basic I load them both to the same location and ghost the light map over the object.

I think there is a .dbo exporter, but as I'm testing lite it wont work. Does anyone know if it exports the light map to a single Dark Basic Object file as this could be a possible solution. I don't wana pay for DeleD pro and then find it don't work :/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: