Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

create vertex
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For creating more complex objects like I would do it in Milkshape, the polyline routine is rather limited.
Example:

I could do the same shape with DeleD, using Polyline:

But, as Jeroen said, I cannot decide myself where and how the triangles are located, which makes further modeling very difficult. And, I have no chance to bring in those vertices in the middle (the selected ones in the first picture).
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks Fletcher! That's exactly what I was trying to say. One picture says more than a 1000 words, I guess. Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I must be out to lunch, or my explanations are not good enough. Using Fletchers images as the perfect example.

In MS you laid down your vertices, then you go over them(1,2,3,1,2,3 etc...) and create your triangles. This is the correct method to do this and it works. In Deled instead of drawing 3 vertices for each triangle with a polyline, you outlined the whole shape, and then you get different results. These are correct results for the wrong method.

In MS you draw 3 points
Code:
. .
and then you have the added extra step of connecting them to make a triangle.

In Deled you select Polyline and draw the same 3 points
Code:
. .
and Deled does the extra step and makes your triangle. This produces the same results, and is faster by 1 step.

The method is the exact same in both programs except the deled does the triangle for you when you close each 3 sided polyline. When you are done just merge all the polylines into 1 shape.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However using the MS method you need only create a 4th vert after your first 3 to create a new tri as this new tri and others that follow share verts with previouse tri's ... much faster then making individual tri's and merging.

K
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I didn't mean to stirr up a firestorm. I just saw something in another modeler that I liked and thought it would make a great asset in deled. It's been an interesting read tho. Personally, it doesn't matter to me at all. I'm not an artist. and a modeler is an artist. I'm learning game programming and needed objects to add to the game to ensure my code works.
I like Deled becouse it's one of the few modelers that i can actually use.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trucker2000 wrote:
wow, I didn't mean to stirr up a firestorm. I just saw something in another modeler that I liked and thought it would make a great asset in deled.
Shocked I never meant to dispute the feature's inclusion. I just meant you can mimmick this with the polyline function now instead of waiting for it.

So it isn't techinically faster with the 4th vertex into new triangle thing, but it's not much of a speed difference.

Is this method actually effective to model a car, or other object? I'm not a good modeller of objects so much as I am of buildings and the like... what would you do after you modelled the side, you extrude the edges halfway across to get the rest of the body?

I have to try that sometime. Laughing Having a car in one of my backgrounds would be nice.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you extrude several times to make the body of the car, then copy the one side and move it to the other to make a solid peice.
I'm a terrable modeler so can't tell you if it's more effective than just pushing a boxes vertices around.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyre_Dark wrote:
Is this method actually effective to model a car, or other object? I'm not a good modeller of objects so much as I am of buildings and the like... what would you do after you modelled the side, you extrude the edges halfway across to get the rest of the body?

At least, it's the way I modelled these two weapons. Creating vertices on positions that mark edges or special points, connect them the best way, displace them in depth, copy the side and connect the two sides by connecting the vertices of the edges. This is also the way I would create, say, a torso of a human body, but it might not work that well with non-symmetric objects.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Fletcher wrote:
Yes I am aware of the method where you mirror one half of an object and then weld down the center. I used to make funny heads and things like that.

But I've never tried a car or a gun like that. Curious to try it now. Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: