Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request List

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Feature Request List Reply with quote

How about showing a list of features, and telling us if they are accepted, rejected, or being considered, and what the priority they have in being worked on.

Cool
vincent-v

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea Smile
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity: why do you want to know this, and in what form would you expect us to make this information available?
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a development list, like the ones many applications got in their site. It's a nice way of checking the development path and the future progression of the program. It also tells you since which version a feature was added in, if it's totally covered or if things are still pending. Here's Irrlicht's as an example:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/development.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Out of curiosity: why do you want to know this, and in what form would you expect us to make this information available?"

1. The bigest reason I'd like to see a simple list is because it helps me decide on buying supporting products or waiting. Like should I buy ultimate unwrap or DeleD Pro ?

2. It's also nice to not to request features already tabled.

3. It's nice to see the path the project is taking.

4. DeldD could offer a yearly subscription fee of $10, and give those users rights to vote on feature priority, early access to beta features, etc.
Sindwiller
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afecelis wrote:
a development list, like the ones many applications got in their site. It's a nice way of checking the development path and the future progression of the program. It also tells you since which version a feature was added in, if it's totally covered or if things are still pending. Here's Irrlicht's as an example:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/development.html

You mean a ToDo-List or a Milestone-List?

Wfr, Sindwiller
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to make some preliminary remarks here on this subject. These things do not represent the 'official Delgine view' ( Laughing ), they are simply me sketching out some thoughts on publishing lists of future development items...

One reason why we do not publish such a list, is because we are small. Public milestones are promises, and when you are too small to guarantee in any way when (and if) these promises are going to be kept, they are worthless (or even have negative value). Please note I am not saying we don't make our milestones, I am just saying I think most one-man-and-his-dog 'companies' on the internet publishing Milestones look a bit silly.

A reason why we do not have a published priority list, is that maintaining such a list takes up a lot of time, since our priorities shift a lot. By small amounts, but they do shift... shifting up priorities is usually no problem, but you wouldn't believe the amount of negative (and time-consuming) feedback you get when you consequently shift down the priority of minor issue XXXXX.

That said (the historical reasons why we didn't put in the effort to publish and maintian such a list, and stick with our internal to-do list), if we can decide on a way to publish this list in such a way that it conveys all the important information in an efficient way, we would be more than willing to consider putting in the time and effort to publish such a list. We had plans for a complete list of current features anyway, so that's about the bare minimum Very Happy

So the question: "what would you like to see on this list, and in what form" is very important. The Irrlicht development list is a good example, but any more details on what you guys would like to see are most welcome.

In response to Guests response to this questions:

1. We feel very strongly that you should make these kind of decisions on what our application has to offer now. If it isn't worth your money now, don't buy it. There is a free version anyway, see if you like it. If you want something added, ask away. You are right however that there really needs to be a readily available complete list of current features (there is one in the help file), to enable a quick evaluation of the above.

2. True. However, for us it is a very good indication of how 'in demand' a certain feature is if multiple people ask for it independently.

3. Very true.

4. Nice idea, but we prefer to base our development on any user feedback that makes sense. We already have a sifting system: PRO feedback weighs in heavier than feedback from non-paying customers, as we expect them to use the application more seriously. Beta testers feedback is rated the highest. So if a users wants to put in a maximum amount of influence, they will have to join the beta team by use the program intensively, thus providing the highest quality feedback. We believe this system is in the best benefit of the application, rather than having people 'buying themselves into taking the helm".
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PJ said is basicly what I'm thinking too. In addition:

Paul-Jan wrote:
if we can decide on a way to publish this list in such a way that it conveys all the important information in an efficient way, we would be more than willing to consider putting in the time and effort to publish such a list.

Our current TODO list both contains feature request put in by ourselfs and (PRO) users as well as various technical enhancements. Some of these technical enhancements take up a large amount of time, while the user does not really notice any difference in behaviour. Why implement them? Because these enhancements enable us to offer more functionality in the long term. They are required to be implemented, so to speak.

Having said that, the TODO list being made available to the users should contain features only because users are generally not interested in technical implementation details. Concentrating on features only brings up another "problem" in that there are a lot of feature request being made. Most requests are recorded in our own TODO database (called TaskeD) but it is undoable to maintain a very detailed list here on the site as well. Besides that, our TaskeD database contains technical requirements as well, which is something we shouldn't want to bother users with, as said earlier.

In our workflow, we concentrate on a few items on the TODO list at any give point in time. Those items are selected based on priority given to them by ourselfs and our users. What we could do is to put up a list of all implemented features (sorted by categories like lowpoly routines, lightmapping, CSG, raytracing etc), with items currently being worked on added to that list. The list should also contain a few items that will be worked on in the future. Just a few to point out in which direction DeleD is going, as that should help future users to decide if DeleD is the tool for them or not. Best of both worlds really - it keeps our administration at a minimum (which is good as we need all the time we can get to spend on coding) and helps users to understand which way DeleD is going at any particular time.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What we could do is to put up a list of all implemented features (sorted by categories like lowpoly routines, lightmapping, CSG, raytracing etc), with items currently being worked on added to that list. The list should also contain a few items that will be worked on in the future. Just a few to point out in which direction DeleD is going, as that should help future users to decide if DeleD is the tool for them or not. Best of both worlds really - it keeps our administration at a minimum (which is good as we need all the time we can get to spend on coding) and helps users to understand which way DeleD is going at any particular time.

I like this idea as long as it's not taking away from your "work time" and that it's kept current. The Irrlicht example is actually not a good one (as far as upkeep) Irrlichts developement roadmap does not change between builds, so it's essentially useless as a guide.
I would suggest something simple, that's quick and easy to keep up-to-date with as little time and effort as possible. Jeroens idea looks like a good one to me.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: