Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

087 fileformats and release issues

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: 087 fileformats and release issues Reply with quote

I'm working hard towards a next release. DeleD now has lightmapping and so the fileformat will have to be adjusted so it can cope with lightmaps as well. That means we're implementing materials. That's quite a lot of work (most importantly, the GUI). But because we don't want to keep you all waiting for the LITE version with lightmapping, we're working on an intermediate solution with texturepacks and materials. The fileformat will most likely be 087b (notice the b). When done, we'll release the LITE version and then we can concentrate on full material support and fileformat 0.87.

We're well on our way, things should not be long now.
Jobyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woooo gotta rewrite my importer again Smile
Looking forward to messing abotu with them lightmaps.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the changes going to be big or small to the structure of the file? Should I not bother to write my loader until 0.87 comes out? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, a 087b format isn't needed after all. In 087, the texturepacks will not be used anymore. They will be replaced by materials which will be included in the DMF file. Furthermore, polygons can have multiple sets of UV coordinates if the material of that polygon has multiple texturelayers (because of lighting for example).

Go ahead and write your 086 loader. The 087 format will be different, but not that much. Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you are ready to reveal this stuff, What exactly is a material in Deled?

Diffuse Map
Light Map
* Map? (bump, normal, whatever..)
Specular
Shinniness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A material contains 4 texturelayers (max), the last one is the lightmap. I will create a material editor with which you can create and edit individual materials. The upcoming LITE version will, however, convert old texturepacks to materials because I do not have enough time to create that material editor anytime soon (while I still want to release the LITE version asap).

The big technical challenge right now is to write code that can load a 086 DMF file (which still uses texturepacks etc) and making sure it creates and uses materials correctly while still being able to use the user-interface like you're used to with ordinary textures (in other words, migrate a 086 file to 087). This seems to work now (except for the GUI) but needs to be tested in detail of course. Then every bit of code that uses textures, should use materials instead. Lots of work ahead of us... Wink
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping ya'll posted... Wink

We are working hard to replace textures into materials in DeleD. This is quite a lot of work and has its impact on the load/save/plugin/userinterface/lots-of-other-areas of DeleD. Don't worry though, we'll manage to implement it of course!
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just dump the texturing from the old files, and keep only the geometry? You are not even version 1.0 yet, stuff like this can be forgiven.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people will like it if we just dump the textures. So I've written code to convert a texturepack to a materiallist. Works like a charm. Things I have to consider:

- load/save different fileformats (08,086,087)
- plugins that communicate material data
- GUI
- every bit of code that uses the old textures

So you see, quite a lot of work. But it's fun developing and will be worth it for sure. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: