Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delgine's Xmas Compo 2006!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally agree that floor looks strange. What kind of geometry are we looking at, some grid with up/down vertices? Care to share your model at this early state?
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Yeah, I totally agree that floor looks strange. What kind of geometry are we looking at, some grid with up/down vertices? Care to share your model at this early state?
Right now it's just a flat grid... it used to be a grid that had vertices up and down but I got rid of it because of the same problems.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
before saturday 23rd december 2006

Well like to say was on track untill that nasty little storm hit us here in Seattle Wa...Since last Thursday there has been no electrical. Plus darn house that moved into has no fireplace. Okay does have one, but requires electrical to turn on the fans to move the hot air from the gas fireplace. So been living in a house that was about 33 degree's.

Power is back up and place is a mess after that storm. Went over the ideas and had to make a few changes to the project due time.

But have to say beening in the cold inspired me to understand what be like to lived up there in the north pole. And the part of me says "he's nuts ....move to Florida!"
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyre_Dark wrote:
Paul-Jan wrote:
Right now it's just a flat grid... it used to be a grid that had vertices up and down but I got rid of it because of the same problems.
Btw, what I sent you, was NOT my official entry... Laughing
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now finished with my Scene:

Added some fire in the Engine to give it some touch. Map & Textures are already send. Go on Guys Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, got your entry just fine! The scene looks good - let's wait and see who can compete! Very Happy
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madcowthomas: Glad to hear you are still alive and kicking!

Nocturn: Sweeeeeet! Good job...

Vampyre: I did some testing with your scene and here are some tips to improve the lighting. The scene was quite interesting as it highlights some of the major problems with the current lightmapper. I wanted to do a full report with screenshots and all, but random things got in the way and now here I am with a day that is near it's end and a gazillion things left to do, so I'll just type a short e-mail then Smile

1. The 'flame' textures (I am guessing they are flames, I have gray squares because I have no textures Very Happy) that run straight through the middle of the pointlights cause the weird grainy noise. Because of precision errors, every pixel rendered is randomly shadowed or not by those polygons, causing the noisy effect.
- Suggested improvement to DeleD: ability to mark flames as not casting shadows (I cannot simply make the lightmapper ignore planes until they are a bit further away... that would simply move the problem, not solve it)
- Suggested improvement for now: ... hmmm, though one, perhaps you can offset them just a little bit more away from the center of the lights.

2. The lamp edges cause huge and sharp shadows, that look very unnatural. The only real situation in which a lantern would cast such shadows would be a completely dark room with one light sitting in a lantern, not in a multi light daylight scenario like this.
- Suggest improvement to DeleD: ability to mark lanterns as not casting shadows, or implement a decent Global Illumination system that makes the snow light up more equally, and makes the light shine 'around' the edges of the lantern. Bad wording, but you know what I mean.
- Suggested improvement for now: ... I'm not really sure, perhaps the light colors could be a little less distinct so the shadows cast by the lanterns don't stand out that much?

3. The skybox (huge wall) polygons are very large compared to the other polygons in the scene, de-balancing the dynamic texture equation causing a much lower lightmap resolution on all other polygons in the scene.
- Suggested improvement to DeleD: Fixed texel density (with local override) throughout the scene
- Suggested improvement for now: Change those solid polygons into walls. You know, the thing you keep telling everyone they should do, and then I tell them they should use dynamic texture sizes instead... Wink Very Happy

Hope that helps, and hopefully you can fix up the look a bit before saturday... The design of the scene is excellent!
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
The flame planes are part of a group that is not affected by the lightmapper. They don't cast shadows either.

I should kill the skybox. I only put it for my blockburner backgrounds. There is no reason it should be in place for this scene at all. Except that the skybox settings are not per scene. I like to keep it a black skybox so I can have a black 3d window background to work on. Also, I find the skybox to be very tall in Deled.. it's hard to have a nice fading in gradient when you never know how much of it Deled will let you see. (AHHH~! I just deleted it, nuking everything it was grouped with lol... I do that a lot... I guess I got rid of the flame planes after all... happy now? =0) Good thing I didn't save...I have to keep building and rebuilding my groups everytime I need to modify one thing...) I always group everything that won't be lit, so lightmap selection can be used very quickly. ;0)

I am aware of the lanterns casting shadows. It's by design and never was a problem. The problem was the hard edges on my flat, multifaced ground planes (See pic, I can see the outline of every face). The laterns should be casting very light shadows, but this is hard to balance in Deled because you linked all the levels into one variable, and you do the ambient light backwards so I can't use it at all.

DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, still in the process of adding some textures and details.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madcowthomas wrote:
Okay, still in the process of adding some textures and details.

And lightmapping, don't forget lightmapping! Very Happy It'll look great. Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINAL

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great, VD! Don't forget to send us the DMF+textures. Smile
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Looking great, VD! Don't forget to send us the DMF+textures. Smile

Here you go:
http://vampyredark.googlepages.com/VDARK_XMAS.zip

Did I need to include lightmaps as well?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, got it! Lightmaps don't have to be included. Smile
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadline is tomorrow, right? I'm sending my project in tomorrow after trying some last thingies tonite! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: