Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extruding with curves?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azeime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Extruding with curves? Reply with quote

well i a going to buy pro...sometime , but first i want to know how do you extrude with curves

please only pictures and stuff like that (dont want to download other peoples stuff)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrude->rotate->extrude->rotate->extrude->rotate->extrude->rotate->, etc...
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, I'll try, in case this is what you mean with "extruding with curves":

Basically, there are 2 ways to do this, depending on what you want to do.

Let's assume the source object is a cube and you want to extrude a side polygon to make a curved arch.
Here, all you have to do is select the cube and the polygon

then extrude the polygon a couple of times, depending on the desired resolution of your arch

then, simply move the vertices up to create the curve

If you want to make a more complex object, like an S, you will have to do it this way
You have the source cube again

then, you would extrude the polygon, switch to vertex mode (this will select the vertices used by the polygon), move & rotate the vertices the way you want to have it. when done, switch to polygon mode again. You will have to reselect the polygon because DeleD will select all polygons that are using one of the selected vertices. repeat this step until you've got your shape

azeime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) how do i target and move the vertices and 2) how do i target more than 1
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like with any other item (polygon, edges, objects), use shift+leftclick to select one. Shift+ctrl+leftclick or dragging a rectangle using shift+drag leftmouse selects multiple vertices. Then use the Move command to move the selected vertices in any 2D view.
Vijchti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a little pointer to Mr. Fletcher's tutorial for curved extrusion: if you can't get the curves to look right by simply eyeballing it, it's probably due to the way you've rotated the vertices. Whenever you rotate them, make sure that the vertex you see on one side is as close to the middle between the two neighboring vertices as possible (in other words, try to make the rotation create the widest possible path around the curve...in still other words, make the line between your selected vertices perpendicular to the curve).

To illustrate:

This is a bad curve. The vertices you have selected are the orange ones, their neighboring ones (which you want to try to be directly in the middle of as much as possible) are highlighted green.

Also, the curve you're following is the green curve through the middle, and the purple line is perpendicular to that curve -- you want to have the line between your selected vertices (highlighted orange) match this.

This is a better curve. Notice how the line connecting your selected vertices is perpendicular to the curve.

This is to show what I meant by making the curve as wide as possible. The purple areas show the difference between the curve that the first shape makes and the second -- the second and better one is the one that maximizes the amount of purple you see by stretching the curve as far out as possible only through rotation.

There you go -- three ways to create a better, more natural looking curve and they all achieve the same thing. I used a relatively straight curve, but you'll see more difference if your curve is more narrowly bent. Also, this is only a general guide, I'm sure there are some instances where you wouldn't want to follow these guidelines.

Edit: I just realized that this is probably much more confusing than just eyeballing it, but perhaps someone could explain what I'm trying to say much more eloquently.

"Psst, Here's a secret...Your last mortal thought will be,
'Why did I take so many days - just like today - for granted?'"
azeime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danget omg lol with every step there is a GOD DANGET, i made a bridge and when i was about to extrude the last part . i untargeted the dagon thing and when i try to target it it wont work .....target is shift+leftclick right...nvm it worked i got out of the program and entered again...is this some kind of glitch

but anyays thanks guys now i feel like a pro....not i only hit the tip of the iceburg but anyways thanks
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azeime wrote:
.....target is shift+leftclick right...

You can also select things by dragging a frame around them with Shift+Left Click (hold and drag). Also Press CTRL when you want to add things to your current selection.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: