Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misc Features
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, the packed textures are surrounded with a bilinar filtering-proof border, and mipmapping is turned off for the lightmaps, so there should be no artifacts because of the packing. I shall double-check. This bug is on top of my list now.

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also notice the 'stippling' on the vases. The effect you see here only occurs on non-planer (convex and concave) surfaces, and is caused by the fact that adjacent surfaces cast shadows on each other (or so I believe). Ofcourse by introducing epsilons (epsilon minimum distance for a face to cast shadows, stuff like that), the problem is less pronounced, but because of the low resulotion of the texture, shadows are still peeping through. Put in simpler words: the lines you see are the very edges of the shadow cast by the adjacent surface, and the reason you see them is because the resolution of the lightmap is much lower than the resolution of the geometry.

I believe a solution to this latter problem might lie in ignoring 'adjacent' triangles, where adjacent is definied as
1. Sharing an edge
2. Facing in the same direction

However, I am still working on this one. I'll try to have it fixed by the time the next major version comes out. This is very much work in progress, and there is not much reading material on this topic available, so I'l keep you al posted how things go.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The embrace (qeradient for vampire) exporter used to run through all the geometry and remove faces that were touching each other, or couldn't be seen.. (like the undersides of boxes that were touching the floor) before doing the lighting. This took forever though.

Also, there were toggles so that lights could only effect geoemtry in their own sectors. But you have no sectoring in here, so bringing this up is pointless right now. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
3) DeleD automatically snaps new objects to the current gridsize. If the size of the new object is below the current gridsize, you might get strange results. If you have suggestions on how to improve this technique, please elaborate! Smile

Perhaps a button like backspace can change the snap mode for all the selected objects so they can be moved. Instead of having to slowly open the object properties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the ambient colour v.s. shadow colour/intensity discussion (maybe we should decide on having a separate thread for each feature/bug/request somewhere in the future, as this thread is becoming quite confusing Confused), I did some testing and thinking, and basically vampyre_dark is right: the ambient colour should not be the shadow colour. These are two separate concepts:
1. The ambient colour for the scene as a whole and
2. The intensity of the shadow

While the ambient colour could be baked into the lightmaps (but then for all texels, not only for the shadows) for a slight performance boost at real-time rendering, that doesn't weigh up to the loss of flexibility (changing he ambient colour at runtime), so we won't. A new property will have to be added to set the shadow'intensity/darkness/brightness (have to settle on the correct approach here). We'll take care of this in a some future (not too far future, I'm thinking days, not months Wink) version of DeleD.

In the meanwhile, Vampyre, you'll have to work around the way it works right now, so the scene.ambient is pretty useless for your purpose at the moment. Then again, we never meant it to be used that way, so just consider it an upcoming feature.

Thanks again for bringing this up, it was a most valuable remark!
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you solve the problem you were talking about when you mailed me? Have any screenshots? Very Happy
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the problem I was talking to you about ("if not by assigning the ambient colour, how do I prevent my shadows from becoming impenetrable black") is solved by introducing the new "shadow intensity" (or whatever the name will be) concept. The shadows will then be rendered in a corresponding shade of 'gray' (neutral colored light), any actual colorization will be accomplished by the setting ambient scene color at runtime.

And no there are no screenshots yet Smile

Now I will start a separate thread to discuss some lightmapping artifact you pointed out earlier. You keep us on our toes, really Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Now I will start a separate thread to discuss some lightmapping artifact you pointed out earlier. You keep us on our toes, really Wink

Shocked *Gasp*..I'm a problem user?
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Gasp*..I'm a problem user?

I dont think so,just a very helpfull user Wink

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you meant that seriously (hope not): No no no! No! No no no no no no no! We were considering awarding you a Most Valuable User of the Month Award or something similar, only the fact that something like that would reek a little too much like Microsoft/Macdonalds practices stopped us Very Happy

Keeping us on our toes with your input is a good thing. Gooohoood.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Heh. I wasn't taking it seriously. If you want to give me a title..

#1 Headache Causer. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: