Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is "DeleD Pro" ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, some more WIP:

Materials can have up to three layers. A layer is of a specific type: either Texture or Color. The materials 27 to 31 all have only one layer which is of type Color and have been assigned the colors you see on screen. Note: this means that these materials do not work with actual textures but with colors (which are transformed into real textures under the hood).

We're working to make the Material Editor look cool by adding nice material preview-images. You'll see... Wink Next release is planned for next weekend (first week of januari).
boschpj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something went wrong. I didn't ment with shit it's garbage or rubbish but it's good stuff. I know Jeroen for a while now and have a deeply respect what he and others have made so far.

So I have to apologize for my choosen words and let's go on.

Rolling Eyes
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Wink
PhilR2004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Personal opinion on DeleD 3D tool Reply with quote

Personally,

I would make the whole thing, freeware, to be quite honest. I mean, you can go out & spend tons of csh on a product that obviously could be buggy, yet might not all be...but seriously, if this engine is gonna be really good..make the thing worth downloading, instead of buying..example: Kid buys this thing, doesnt like it because it didnt look as promising, even with downloading the LITE version, you still cant tell much of the difference. Releasing the FULL version & making the product FREEWARE, is much of the best solution. Easy ways to do this, folks:

1. Release FULL 3D tool as FREEWARE!

2. Make it Open Source & if people wanna donate a couple of dollars to help continue the development of it, so be it.

3. You'll get more attention with this thing, making it a free product..but also for those who cant afford a product that might be $100-500..it would be a generous offer.

In conclusion...making this thing, FREE..helps not just me out..but it helps everyone out & they can even help make the program better by sending a small donation, say about..$15..to help keep the production of the program going.

Far Enough?
khris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsk, do u read any of the other posts on this forum? i think it was discussed it would be around 30-50 Euros or something like that. its only fair these guys make a few bob outta it coz the guy that makes cartography shop squeezes £40 out of every downloader... making it freeware would give these guys loadsa publicity but if they wanna make money then its their choice, theyre the ones putting the time and effort into making this programme.

personally, bugs and all, id still fork out the cash to get the pro version of this, i was contemplating buying cshop or learning maya beforehand but im so glad i found this site. my two cents anyway.

khris
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a matter of wether you believe in the freeware concept (with the ability to donate cash) or not. I only speak for myself when I say I do not really believe in that concept. Without wanting to start a whole discussion about the freeware concept: I'd really like to make a living out of creating applications like DeleD and I think the freeware concept won't allow me to do that. Sure, it would generate lots of attention, but I think especially people looking for free stuff would be interested. Nothing wrong with that but if you want to make a living out of it, you need paying customers who are enthousiastic about the program and want to get back for more and more. Selling a professional quality application for a very low price (indeed, khris was right, it's 50 euros and with that, one of the cheapest around) while providing constant help and feedback to users and providing them with additional stuff like textures/models will raise our chances of making a living out of it.

Bottom line: I don't really believe in the freeware concept so I choose to create a quality package and sell it for a very low price. I think that's fair enough. Smile
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really believe in the freeware concept so I choose to create a quality package and sell it for a very low price. I think that's fair enough.

I agree Very Happy

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, the only real argument provided for making it freeware is "loads of publicity". Well then, why exactly would making it freeware give us loads of extra publicity? At this very moment, the only available DeleD version is free, like it has been for the past years.

In my opinion, you get more publicity by creating a better product, not by creating a free product. Getting a bit of money back from it to pay part of the bills, definitely shortens to path towards that better product Wink

[edit]Phil, I just re-read your post... and now I realise you haven't bothered to find out what DeleD is. Some sites (like Flipcode) mistakenly advertised it as an engine, but it definitely isn't. We had an engine in development, called Parnassus, but that project was dropped due to lack of interest from the public. DeleD is a standalone 3D editor application. I now understand some of your obviously confused post Smile[/edit]
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal opinion on DeleD 3D tool Reply with quote

PhilR2004 wrote:
Personally,

I would make the whole thing, freeware, to be quite honest. I mean, you can go out & spend tons of csh on a product that obviously could be buggy, yet might not all be...but seriously, if this engine is gonna be really good..make the thing worth downloading, instead of buying..example: Kid buys this thing, doesnt like it because it didnt look as promising, even with downloading the LITE version, you still cant tell much of the difference. Releasing the FULL version & making the product FREEWARE, is much of the best solution. Easy ways to do this, folks:

1. Release FULL 3D tool as FREEWARE!

2. Make it Open Source & if people wanna donate a couple of dollars to help continue the development of it, so be it.

3. You'll get more attention with this thing, making it a free product..but also for those who cant afford a product that might be $100-500..it would be a generous offer.

In conclusion...making this thing, FREE..helps not just me out..but it helps everyone out & they can even help make the program better by sending a small donation, say about..$15..to help keep the production of the program going.

Far Enough?

I've got the noose, where do you want me to hang the GPL/OSS zealot? Laughing I wonder if Phil has some extra rooms in his house to keep the Deled team, and enough extra food to give them 3 meals a day? Perhaps it's a good idea for a sitcom? The everything must be free guy, and the starving programmers that live in his basement.

In the first episode, Paul Jan can leave Phil's front door unlocked, and then the neighbourhood can come and 'open source' his house. Everyone takes what they want, and gives him what they think is fair for it. 0$

In the second episode, they can write a 15$ IOU for the electric bill. It's more than 15$, but they think 15$ SHOULD cover it. Jereon then waits paitently for the 15$ to come into his paypal account. Jereon doesn't understand why the money never comes.... 50,000 people downloaded Deled in the first day alone, and they all said 'the check was in the mail'!

Episode 3 is shot entirely in the dark, and with 250 extras who also moved into the opened house.

Episode 4 is shot on the street, under a bridge. The Deled Crew lives right next to Richard Stallman, who looks like a troll by now. http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484

Episode 5 has the Deled crew writing out the Deled 2.0 code in chalk on the sidewalk. Phil is in jail for 'appropriating' 500$ worth of 'free chalk'. They joke about who's beard is longer, and who has the most feces on their pants... Stallman always wins of course. He celebrates by beating an old woman for her money, and telling her to install GNU/Linux.

Episode 6 Dirkk downloads the source, and makes 500$ a day selling 'his program' FoolEd.

Last edited by Daaark on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:

In my opinion, you get more publicity by creating a better product, not by creating a free product. Getting a bit of money back from it to pay part of the bills, definitely shortens to path towards that better product Wink

You'll get the most publicity when you create a better and free product. But alas, that still won't pay the bills. Wink

Edit: LOL at Vampyre's post!!! Very Happy
boschpj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peronally I think users should pay for this tool. Nothing for free, what a left-wing crap. Users want to use a service provided by a team of developers. Those developers have to eat and computers still don't work on thin air. So €50 ,00 for "shit" like this is a fair price. And then, people should be rewarded for what they do.

If you really do not want to pay €50,00 for this tool, but got it burning in your pocket, send it to Asia and the cassualties of the tsunami.

Greetz
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way this thread is running offtopic... Smile

I am now printing out vampyre's post and pinning it to the wall. Exclamation good stuff Exclamation. D*mn, we really should have "post of the month" awards Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as soon as we go PRO I think we should start thinking about having (monthly-weekly-whatever) contests. Problem is: what should be the reward? You tell us! Very Happy
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Funny man responds with more episodes. And this http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/richdiesslin_paypal.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and telling her to install GNU/Linux.

He would pronounce it as GNU slash Linux! Cool And if the woman didn't understand he'd say GNU plus Linux. And if she still doesn't understand, he'll just beat her again... Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: