Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD 1.71 Released!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we know it doesn't match the hardware pipeline, but at the time we created it we considered artists shouldn't need to know what a hardware pipeline is, let alone how it works, and just paint layer on layer. You paint the first layer onto the scene, the second layer onto the first, etc. Serveral years down the line we now realize this was a poor choice, but it seemed fine at the time. Very Happy. There is more than one thread on this topic floating around... and I seem to recall having this exact conversation with you before, so please stop rubbing it in... Wink

Nice suggestions for the framebuffer blending. 3 out of 4 are already supported through the first layer blend mode. The exception being your premult, interesting suggestion. Unless I am severely off that's not one of the standard available blending modes in most engines, is it? Or do I know it by a different name?

I was inclined to let the user set source and destination factors manually, with a predefined set of available presets (alphablend, transparent color, modulate, add, subtract... perhaps premult?), but I was also inclined to not focus on the fixed function pipeline that much at this point... Very Happy
RussW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polygon and vertex tags, and the magnet tool have made my life much easier Very Happy
Great Work !
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
please stop rubbing it in

And let you get away with it? Never!

Pre-multiplied alpha blending is often supported in engines -- which engine are you saying wouldn't support it? I've used it in UnrealEd, Ogre, and our engine at work, and it's a favorite suggestion by most contributors when talking about blending modes on the gdalgorithms mailing list.

Fixed-function vs programmable pipeline: Framebuffer blend is still fixed-function, even in DX10! That's because it's so close to the framebuffer, trying to put math in there would dramatically slow things down. We'll see about DX11...
fangelico

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX 11 !
Thats funny man , very funny
Maybe on twenty years if MS still exist (and the world stil lexist) , maybe then we will have DX 10abcdz July 3.00004 v2.0 PreBeta Laughing
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangelico wrote:
DX 11 !
DX11 is already in development, one of the feature being worked on is order independent transparency.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I actually have a draft copy. However, not having upgraded to Vista yet, I'm behind even on the DX10 side. Luckily the same functionality is available on XP using GL extensions.
fangelico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DX11 is already in development, one of the feature being worked on is order independent transparency.

Wow , i didnt now , i should edit that post .
However DX10 is very different from 9 , so i asume that 11 will be different from 10.
mhm strange , its seems that MS dont do his homework....
Cheers
Btw , im not a Anti-MS , PRO-Linux , in fact , i really like DX and MS stuff ,not all of them tough, on the other hand , im like a Playstation fanboy Embarassed (Im ashamed of being a kindof fanboy)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangelico wrote:
its seems that MS dont do his homework....
What do you mean by that?

MS is the only one doing their homework. Ever since D3D7, when they started to get their shit together, they have been the ones making all the 3D graphics breakthroughs, while the stagnant OpenGL has been playing last minute catch up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MS is the only one doing their homework. Ever since D3D7, when they started to get their shit together, they have been the ones making all the 3D graphics breakthroughs, while the stagnant OpenGL has been playing last minute catch up.

Yeah , finally someone who thinks just like me.
The stuff that i mean (btw is a joke) is that MS dont have a DX 10 full deployed and they already start making plans for DX11 , so maybe (that is the joke) they dont do all good on DX10.
It was a joke nothing more.
And i really like the way DX10 is turning . So talking about DX11 is very fun, since Dx10 is not fully used . (i dont know any games that uses DX10 exclusively , i think Crisys or something like that)
Cheers , sorry , im not a tech guy. just a programmer who hates programming Embarassed
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just a programmer who hates programming

My advice to you: Change careers NOW before it's too late. You don't want to be spending the rest of your life doing something you hate. Go become an investment banker instead -- it pays a lot better, too :-)
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangelico wrote:
And i really like the way DX10 is turning . So talking about DX11 is very fun, since Dx10 is not fully used . (i dont know any games that uses DX10 exclusively , i think Crisys or something like that)

That makes no sense. DX10 is fully deployed. I'm running DX10. People aren't using it yet because Vista doesn't have enough of an installed base yet to justify it. Also because not many people have D3D10 hardware. It doesn't really matter how many people ever use DX10, it's a nice base to build 11 and 12 on.

There is also a Vista only version of D3D9.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say fully deployed i mean , that it less than a year since DX10 was released . it surely will come something like DX10a , b and c just like the 9
ok.... so sorry if i say something wrong
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which engine are you saying wouldn't support it

Don't know about UnrealEd, but Ogre only has add, modulate, colour_blend and alpha_blend as the predefined sceneblends (you can always add your own of course). Same goes for engines like B3D and darkbasic (IIRC). Those were the engines I was referring to.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... awesome job guys Wink

yay.. per-vertex colors are supported Very Happy

But how about texture-mapping improvements? Will these be added in the next release??
harper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DeleD 1.71 Released! Reply with quote

... or DownloadeD if you're a PRO user. Also, PRO users get to enjoy a new brick texturepack ...

Fine ! But i cannot login there. Isn't it the same password as for this forum ? If so, where can get i my "PRO"-password ?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: