Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official beginner tutorials?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Official beginner tutorials? Reply with quote

Hello,

New DeleD user here and I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm wondering if there are any official new user tutorials available? I've looked in this thread, all 3 pages, and what's here seems to be very specific and task-oriented instructions... for making a spider, or a house, etc..

I checked the program's help file as well and that seems to provide an overview of program, but no actual tutorials.

I'm just looking for something that introduces the basics of creating and editing. For example - and this is only one example - I notice that when you click on, say, a cylinder in the "create" tab, there's a section in the bottom-right where you can set "defaults" for it. Yet, I have no idea how to get those default settings to be applied. When I try to create the object, the only option it gives me is by "dragging it out" in the viewport, which makes it much harder to make the object specific.

I'm familiar with 3D programs and have used a variety of them, from AC3D, to Lightwave3D. DeleD is eluding me at the moment as, while it's interface is similar to other programs I've used, its work flow seems to be a bit different and I'm having a hard time grasping it.

So.. if someone could point me to some good "Welcome to DeleD3D, here's the basics..." type tutorials, that would be great.

Thanks!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there mikeswi, and welcome to these forums. Smile Have you taken a look at the official tutorial page? It can be found here.
mikewsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh no I had not...

Where's the actual link to that section? I went through all the pages I could find, but must have completely overlooked it?

Thanks!
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the link "DeleD 3D Editor" and under "Quick Links & Downloads". Not very easy to find, you're right.
Handless' basics tutorial seems to be great (didn't read it, but looks good Razz). Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a general beginner tutorial. Why is "Creating a simple house" (Elementrix I think) not there?
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is "Creating a simple house" (Elementrix I think) not there?

because i didn't have the time or didn't want to put my tutorial in the deled html page thing Razz

Quote:
Where's the actual link to that section? I went through all the pages I could find, but must have completely overlooked it?

yes the first time i saw the new deled website i also had difficulties with finding the tutorial page back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Fletcher wrote:
It's on the link "DeleD 3D Editor" and under "Quick Links & Downloads". Not very easy to find, you're right.

I've heard that one before so appearantly, it is hard to find. But I find that to be rather strange because... well... it's the DeleD Product page (enough links to that page on our main page, I think) and right on top too! Maybe people don't recognize the links because they're only bold, not underlined?

Anyway, glad you found it! Smile
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe people don't recognize the links because they're only bold, not underlined?

Or mabe we didn't think to look there? Embarassed
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
mikewsi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Mr.Fletcher wrote:

I've heard that one before so appearantly, it is hard to find. But I find that to be rather strange because... well... it's the DeleD Product page (enough links to that page on our main page, I think) and right on top too! Maybe people don't recognize the links because they're only bold, not underlined?

Anyway, glad you found it! Smile

Well, it is in an unusual spot, compared to where most sites place such a link. And the links are enclosed in sentences, not on their own, so it kinda strikes me, I think, as bullet-points about the product with some words bolded for emphasis.

One way to make them stand out might be to give them a different color from the text, and an underline to indicate they're links would also help. The color difference would catch your eye - since everything else is black, and then the underlines would identify them as links. Maybe even make the links a point or two larger than the text. If the text is 10px, make the links 11px or so.

Just my thoughts Smile.

Also... having gone through the first few tutorials, I haven't noticed anything, yet, that shows how to have an item automatically created with the "default settings" set in the creation dialog, without having to still drag the object out? Is that not possible?

Also... may as well piggy back on the same thread rather than keep starting new ones...

I'm playing around with extrusion and am noticing that the "rotate" function is unavailable when in polygon mode and I have one face (two tri's) selected? How do you rotate a surface in DeleD?

Here's the steps I followed...
1. Create a 3x3x3 cube.
2. Select one of the squares (two tris) and extrude (ie. a hallway off a room).
3. Only the face originally extruded is kept selected.
4. Want to rotate this face, to, say, make a curving hallway, but the rotate command is unavailable.

Thanks again..
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewsi wrote:

Well, it is in an unusual spot, compared to where most sites place such a link. And the links are enclosed in sentences, not on their own, so it kinda strikes me, I think, as bullet-points about the product with some words bolded for emphasis.

Thanks for that. Smile Btw, where do you think most sites place such links? Do you have a good example?

mikewsi wrote:

Here's the steps I followed...
1. Create a 3x3x3 cube.
2. Select one of the squares (two tris) and extrude (ie. a hallway off a room).
3. Only the face originally extruded is kept selected.
4. Want to rotate this face, to, say, make a curving hallway, but the rotate command is unavailable.

If you have the face selected, simply switch to Vertex mode. You'll have a Rotate command available there. Smile
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:

Thanks for that. Smile Btw, where do you think most sites place such links? Do you have a good example?

Maybe some kind of "ressources" link in the link bar. There, you would have a site with clearly noticable links to Tutorials, Model packs, Texture packs, Plugins etc.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to have an item automatically created with the "default settings" set in the creation dialog, without having to still drag the object out? Is that not possible?

No, DeleD currently doesn't support that, the default settings are only for those dimensions you don't drag in. Funny how we haven't had anyone requesting 'build by numbers' functionality in ages, and now we have both you and Adar looking for such functionality. It sure has our attention again.
mikewsi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
mikewsi wrote:

Generally, you can find them either right in the main menu, or as a "sub-menu" off a main menu.

Here's a couple examples:
http://www.digi-element.com/wb/index.htm - located on the left-hand side, in the main menu.

http://leadwerks.com/index.php?page=3dworldstudio_overview.htm
On the right side, both under the "Learn More" heading (User Guide), and the "Video Training" heading.

http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?title=2
Under the "Training" main menu item, within a sub-menu.

I think it's a matter of where people would first look for such a thing - a usability situation. Users are accustom to finding things and will tend to first look in the "obvious" places for such content... such as, in one of the main navigation menus, or sub-menus.

I don't know how "static" you have this site setup, but there seems to be room in the main menu at the top to squeeze an additional "Training" or "Tutorials" link in there. That would be my first guess.
mikewsi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Quote:
to have an item automatically created with the "default settings" set in the creation dialog, without having to still drag the object out? Is that not possible?

No, DeleD currently doesn't support that, the default settings are only for those dimensions you don't drag in. Funny how we haven't had anyone requesting 'build by numbers' functionality in ages, and now we have both you and Adar looking for such functionality. It sure has our attention again.

lol... well certainly not trying to make any waves here. Just that in other apps I've used where the option to enter dimensions and such like that directly, usually when you "click" in one of the windows.. or "shift-click" or whatever, it will automatically create the object with your defined parameters. So I approached that function in DeleD the same way. I just figured I was missing something or doing something wrong there.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewsi wrote:

lol... well certainly not trying to make any waves here. Just that in other apps I've used where the option to enter dimensions and such like that directly, usually when you "click" in one of the windows.. or "shift-click" or whatever, it will automatically create the object with your defined parameters.

I always thought of that method to be rather limiting. It can be better to use the mouse to define the dimensions. But... it's best to have both methods, of course! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: