Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Promoting DeleD - let people find us!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatts
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen, I have a few idea's. have a contest and put a free copy of your pro software as a prize, then maybe have one of your Mods go an register on the game creators site and post a thread exposing the contest. does'nt even have to be the games creators, could be in any pulic 3d site.

Another thing is, the game creators is getting to have a rather large community. Problem is, alot of people tend to favour 3D world studio over deled, I know this cause i go there all the time. Maybe you could start thinking about making your software more compatible for it. Create a dbo exporter for it of your own or push the other one that is in the plug-ins.

If you need, all the documents that explain the dbo format i have it as every other dbpro user does. TGC would love you'se for it as your one of the rare people who actually have a plugin for it. I say this cause im not sure if the plugin one will export animation.

I will say this for a fact. If a user were able to create a scene and export it with a code for all the animations such as doors opening and closing, elevators and what not. That will attract an enormous amount of people i think. Hell if you need a copy of darkbasic pro to see how it works I could even give you a copy. after all I own two copies. lol I would just have to apply to the game creators to switch the license.

But yeah to see a contest would be a good thing. It would'nt hurt to offer up a license as a prize to attract people either. Of course i don't need one cause I already have mine. Very Happy And if need be I could perhaps help host or even be one of a couple judges.

Also i am sure there would be people who will not like this but. Is deled lite still unlimited? meaning no limit to how many polys are exported in your scene? Cause if I remember right the only thing that was different were a few csg commands and lighting commands were blanked out and that was it. If you really want to sell your product, then why are you giving it away? the fact is, it is easy to get by without using the csg (one of the things I never did use even in pro). and static lighting is starting to become a thing of the past. I'm beginning to see alot of people moving towards real time lighting.

I'm more of a truespace user by all means anymore. But I do still think highly of Deled and would be more than happy to join in on your forums with it to stir up some fun.

By the way not sure you read this in any other post I left this morning, But the new direct X exporter in TruesSpace 7.6 works with one of the directx importers the you'se have in plugins and it keeps every thing in quads. The only thing is about it is it rotates it I believe on the x axis and streches it out abit, but leaves it so it is fix able and still works. and it would be nice if there was a way to properly load in the textures as well.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tatts for sharing your ideas! Very Happy I'll comment on them:

Quote:
have a contest and put a free copy of your pro software as a prize, then maybe have one of your Mods go an register on the game creators site and post a thread exposing the contest. does'nt even have to be the games creators, could be in any pulic 3d site.

We did this a couple of times and those contests were pretty successful. I can see us doing this 1 or 2 times a year. In fact, it's about time we come up with another contest for celebrating DeleD 2.0 coming out, finally!

However, I'd like to have a contest (or something similar) each month because that would keep the community interested at all times. Not only when prizes are to win, I mean. The Everybody Models series were pretty successful, too, but the series stopped because there wasn't somebody posting new stuff to model on a regular basis.

Real contests (as in: with prizes etc), PJ and I can handle. Other initiatives, like Everybody Models, would have to be managed by one or more (preferably more) enthusiastic community members, I think. Smile So, we need somebody willing to spend time regularly on such series.

Quote:
Another thing is, the game creators is getting to have a rather large community. Problem is, alot of people tend to favour 3D world studio over deled, I know this cause i go there all the time. Maybe you could start thinking about making your software more compatible for it. Create a dbo exporter for it of your own or push the other one that is in the plug-ins.

I'd like to know why people favor 3D world studio over DeleD.

Also, we can improve our DBO export functionality but before we do that, we need to know if people are actually going to use a DeleD-3D World Studio pipeline. Would DeleD complement 3D World Studio in some way?

Or would we just have to make sure DeleD can be used for Dark Basic Pro better that it can now?

Quote:
And if need be I could perhaps help host or even be one of a couple judges.

Perhaps having a fixed jury, consisting out of community members, would be a good idea for a new Everybody Models series too!

Quote:
Is deled lite still unlimited? meaning no limit to how many polys are exported in your scene? Cause if I remember right the only thing that was different were a few csg commands and lighting commands were blanked out and that was it. If you really want to sell your product, then why are you giving it away?

Our primary aim is not to sell as many products as possible. It's to get as many users as possible. The more users, the more sales, is the idea. Therefore, we choose not to cripple our software.

Quote:
But I do still think highly of Deled and would be more than happy to join in on your forums with it to stir up some fun.

Thanks, I'll gladly take you up on that! Very Happy
tatts
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see us doing this 1 or 2 times a year.

yeah that's all you need. I would'nt expect to see it each month Smile

Quote:
I'd like to know why people favor 3D world studio over DeleD.

This is easy to answer. I can't speak for other forums but with the game creators it is more of a popularity contest im affraid. You see, Josh klint is the creator of cartography shop which the game creators now own. and also the creator of 3dws and also has an account on the forums. the fact is, Deled in its current state will blow either of those programs out of the water. But sinse JoshK shows his face around the forums to answer questions and promote his stuff. people tend to follow the creator. I think once you have some animation to it and keep the dbo format so it is completely compatible people may see it and start to think twice.

There has never been an actual world editor that can export levels with ceiling fans that are actually animated. A very good reason to register with the game creators and mention this when you want to have a contest and even give out copy as a prize. This should definately turn some heads. But it would be a good idea for either you or paul to do that on your own. One thing that you should look into though is changing the lightmapping sceme some how cause, as of now they do not work well with DBPro. I exported a scene and ended up with a ton of lightmap files. Not good.

Quote:
Our primary aim is not to sell as many products as possible. It's to get as many users as possible. The more users, the more sales, is the idea. Therefore, we choose not to cripple our software.

I can understand this and say i have alot of respect for you'se there, And I do see your tactic, it is nice to know that your not pressured into buying the program for the extra features and that the program is free for you to use otherwise. Which is actually why I did buy it, Not because I needed the extra feature though, but because I do respect your ideas so I bought it to support it. Smile fact is, I to this day do not use them. Very Happy

I'll be around alot more from now on, I'm personally very interested to see deled in action with the animation, And am interested to see where this goes. looking forward to giving it a go myself even if it is ment more for mechanical animation, that actually suits me just fine Smile
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and static lighting is starting to become a thing of the past. I'm beginning to see alot of people moving towards real time lighting.

not entirely true, even unreal tournament 3 uses baked lightmaps, yes people are more moving towards realtime lights, but ussually those are without shadows, realtime shadows are extremely heavy.

I do think we should have more control on how the lightmaps are baked though, instead of having deled UVmap every face seperate and bake them that way.
tatts
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
realtime shadows are extremely heavy.

Yes I agree that they are. But new shaders are coming out all the time. And hardware seems to be upgrading like crazy anymore, I really do not see this being much of a problem for much longer. Truespace runs in real time lighting with shadows and such, I find it rather cool. and it does run well with it.

Shaders are becoming a big thing with DBPro.
Leaf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a facebook group for DeleD? I couldn't find any but I would join. Cool
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
Quote:
and static lighting is starting to become a thing of the past. I'm beginning to see alot of people moving towards real time lighting.

not entirely true, even unreal tournament 3 uses baked lightmaps, yes people are more moving towards realtime lights, but ussually those are without shadows, realtime shadows are extremely heavy.

I do think we should have more control on how the lightmaps are baked though, instead of having deled UVmap every face seperate and bake them that way.

Torque started to move away from baked lightmaps, but have actually started changing course with the new torque 3d becouse baked lighmaps are not as expensive as dynamic. They tend to look better too.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Lascar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a link to DeleD on my software site (development software).
A page on modelling will also be following later (when I get better with it), so DeleD will get double billing.
I still have a lot to learn about DeleD but so far I am very pleased with it Very Happy
http://www.skm.9f.com/developsoftwr.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: