Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with exporting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberdude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Problem with exporting Reply with quote

Ive only just registered to this site but Ive been using DeleD ** for a while but Ive run into a problem. When I exported my .X model+textures when I loaded it into DarkBASIC Classic none of the textures show up! What is wrong here? Evil or Very Mad

**Great Prgram by the way Very Happy
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome! Yeah, I saw your post on the DarkBasic forum! Weird problem you have there. I've recently removed a bug in the X exporting function but that had nothing to do with textures. Be sure to get the latest version though (0.903). Anyway, are you sure you're loading the object correctly in DarkBasic?

I don't know DarkBasic syntax but I'm sure there are a few people around here who can shed some light on this issue. Smile
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need anything other than
Code:
load object #, "<name>.x"
, Are all the textures that where exported with the model in the same directry as the model in your DBPro project folder?
Saberdude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all the textures are in the project file. And its For DB Classic not DBPRO. Ill see if Ive got the latest version.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps I should prpbably try reading a little closer, I've still got my copy of DBClassic laying around here somewhere. I'll find it and have a go.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a little bit of testing with Darkbasic Classic, and it seems that DB Classic doesn't support the JPG fileformat at all Shocked! Can someone please confirm this? I conclude this after
a) reading the manual that states loadbitmap only supports .bmp
b) not being able to view .jpg files in the media browser example
c) converting the textures of my .x model to .bmp and noticing that fixed the problem Wink

The solution would be to use .bmp instead of .jpg's. Unfortunately, the material editor (former texturepack editor) is under construction at the moment, so your real options would be:
1. Go to the DeleD texture directories and convert all .jpg's to .bmp using your favourite graphics editor. Also edit default.dtp using notepad. OR
2. After generating the .x file, open it in notepad, change all .jpg's to .bmp. Then open up your favourite graphics editor and convert all used textures to .bmp OR
3. Use darkbasic pro (or any other programming environment/engine that supports jpg's)

If anyone can confirm that this is indeed the cause of all problems, I can discuss a possible solution with Jeroen.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer that would seem to be the problem, created a new level yesterday and none of the textures shew up, I've just looked at an old version of MOOD, pre DBPro, and it uses .bmps and textures show up nicely.
aoos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use darkbasic classic and i have loaded many times jpg files i dont think that this is the problem. also deled exportes in bmp
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoos wrote:
i use darkbasic classic and i have loaded many times jpg files i dont think that this is the problem. also deled exportes in bmp

DeleD copies the used textures from the texture-directory to the directory where you want your .x file to be placed. That means either JPG or BMP files.

This is weird though. Multiple tests say that JPG files are the problem, but now you say DBClassic should be able to load JPG's... Maybe it's a problem with the JPG files themselfs?
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we are not talking about the same version, I am using the darkbasic trial as available through darkbasic.thegamecreators.com . Is there a different version called 'classic'?

As you can read in the posts above, x exports worked flawlessly with my darkbasic trial version after converting the textures to .bmp. In other words, I think your problem might be very specific aoos, maybe you can send us your exported .x flie and textures, so we can see if there is anything wrong with it.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as an answer to Jeroens suggestion, there seems to be nothing wrong with the JPG's, as
1) I can load them in any other program just fine
2) if I convert them to .bmp things work fine in darkbasic, if I convert them back to jpg with for example photoshop things stop working again.
aoos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to apologise for my reply. i downloaded recently the new version of deled, i changed jpg to bmp i loaded in db classic and all worked fine Razz .
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
I just did a little bit of testing with Darkbasic Classic, and it seems that DB Classic doesn't support the JPG fileformat at all Shocked! Can someone please confirm this?
Seeing as DB is for making games, there is no reason that it should support jpg. It's a shitty lossy fileformat, only good for posting nothing to newsgroups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@aoos: ah, great! Thanks a lot for reporting that! We have added to our todo-list that we want to add a 'convert textures to bmp' option to the .X export, saving you the manual labour.

@Vampyre: Yes. We have recieved nothing but complaints about the lousy quality of Nocturns texturepacks (all jpg's) Very Happy <- for the non-initiated, that was sarcasm, and so was vampyre's post.

[edit]
However, as a sidenote, I was thinking that adding nothing to the texturepacks WOULD give our download stats a nice boost!

Am I even supposed to say 'nothing' on this otherwise nice and gentle forums? Then again, it's great to get some extra google-hits Razz

[/edit]
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have added to our todo-list that we want to add a 'convert textures to bmp' option to the .X export, saving you the manual labour.

I like the sound of that Very Happy

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: