Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating a greek style column (credits to granada)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Creating a greek style column (credits to granada) Reply with quote

Here's how to do it:
- create a cylinder in object mode in the top view window
- select the cylinder by shift clicking on it in object mode (I forgot that very often - you have to have the object selected to perform polygon operations)
- go to polygon mode and (again) shift click on the cylinder in the top view window; this will select the top polygon
- choose 'inset' in the 'edit commands'
- in the inset properties bottom right, change scale percentage to 120
- click ok
- now (for the third time :-) click on the cylinder in the top view mode; you will notice that you have to click twice because the first click selects the inner polygon
- now select 'move' in the 'edit commands' and click and drag the outsetted polygon a bit up (for some reason the cylinder jumps into the middle of the views; why?)
- with the polygon still highlighted, switch to extrude, and again shift/drag the newly created polygon a bit up.

Now you have the upper part of a greek style column รก la granada.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice tutorial. Wink

Btw, the reason the cylinder "jumps" is because it has its snapping method set to center. Check the Object Properties and play with those settings to see what i mean.
dirkk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so but just out of curiousity, why didn't it jump before the specific move command? btw.I hope it's ok to post a (cough) low profile tutorial like that...
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't jump because the center didn't change. Moving items from the object (polygons, edges etc) will, in most cases, cause the center to change. In that case, with snapping method Center, the object will snap to the new center.

Coincidentally, I'm working on the snapping part right now. You will be able to set the snapping on/off during creation of the object. You'll see what i mean when i release the next version. Wink

EDIT: of course it's ok to post little tutorials like that. The more the better, me thinks. Smile
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one dirkk,thanks i keep saying i will write some Very Happy

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: