Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a "humanish" prefab for scale reference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: a "humanish" prefab for scale reference Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Would it be possible to have among the prefabs, some sort of human figure that would serve as reference while building a project? Since deled's modeling capabilities have evolved so much, I guess a lowpoly character would be "buildable" and easily inserted in deled's default prefabs Wink

It would really help us as modelers while building stuff.

regards,

Alvaro
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a solid idea, of someone could donate a nice davinci-style human model that would be great! Smile

Also: for those already confused by the idea that scale units within 3D modeling programs are non-fixed, this will probably add to the confusion. I predict questions like "The human I exported from DeleD is too big, it won't fit through the door of the house I modeled in Truespace. Please fix this bug in your .X exporter." Laughing We so need to make a FAQ entry about this....
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just use the grid as your reference? or make your own figure Very Happy
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I already got one for reference and I kinda understand the grid units thing, but this is something that would surely help all users in general. What confuses people like me who are used to any other 3d modeling package, is that usually in them 1 unit = 1 meter (or whatever unit of measurement used locally), but then in level editors everything has to be interpreted and converted to gaming units which are multiples of 8 so you have to deal with values like 32, 64, 128, etc etc, which breaks the 1:1 rule we're so familiarized with (and doesn't require much brain processing power). I also understand (as explained here) that 32 units would equal approximately to 1 meter, and according to the unreal level editing book, they create their characters 64 units tall (almost 2 meters! big Mf...ers! heheheh Wink )
So, all in all, in the end, all I'm saying is that it would be great if deled came with a figure you could insert, no matter which gridsize you're using, and build your stuff around it painlessly, hehehehe Wink

best regards,

Alvaro
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DeleD uses a measurment for 1 (cm,mm?) for each smallest grid square (press 1). A large blue square is 256 small grids so 256 units high?

I think this is right If I compare it with maya which uses a much much smaller grid size which make the object appear larger on screen.

The difference between maya and DeleD is like a scale of 1/100 (maya/DeleD) so 1 metre in maya is like 1 cm in DeleD. ahh whatever, it hasn't much to do with your request, just wanted to share and calculate here Razz

(if you would want to make an unreal character in DeleD you need to make it 64 small grid units (or 1/4th large grid square) big?)
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe, more stuff to learn! Wink

I was mistaken with the unreal comparison, their rule is:
standing character: 96 units (for a 6 foot tall character)
crouching character: 64 units

so, they're using the following formula:
96 units / 6 feet= 16
so 16 units= 1 foot in real world.

To make things worse, feet and inches drive me nuts since we use a metrical system!! lol.

And this seems to work for quake, and other engines in which their level editors use 4/8/16/32/64/128 gridsizes just like deled.

thanks for commenting, elementrix.

regards,

Alvaro
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
I think DeleD uses a measurment for 1 (cm,mm?) for each smallest grid square (press 1). A large blue square is 256 small grids so 256 units high?

I think this is right If I compare it with maya which uses a much much smaller grid size which make the object appear larger on screen.

The difference between maya and DeleD is like a scale of 1/100 (maya/DeleD) so 1 metre in maya is like 1 cm in DeleD. ahh whatever, it hasn't much to do with your request, just wanted to share and calculate here Razz

(if you would want to make an unreal character in DeleD you need to make it 64 small grid units (or 1/4th large grid square) big?)
DeleD doesn't have a measurement, nothing in 3D does. Units are just generic. It's up to you to decide what they mean and how to scale things.

Unreal just uses powers of 2. All the old FPS engines did that. Everything was just sized to the closets power of 2, or the way back, the closest multiple of 8. For speed optimizations. Problem with that was that everything was big, blocky, and out of scale.

Other modelers only define adefault scale to help use their real world lighting data presets.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem with that was that everything was big, blocky, and out of scale.

aha! Daark, you got me! Now I see why I usually have problems!!! hehehe, I'm oldschool! Wink you're right.

But then, why is Deled's grid also powers of 2? ( a la gtkradiant)
And my other doubt is, if there are no units, and I build something gigantic or tiny and I'm using a directional light as a sun, then wouldn't the size of my mesh be affected differently by it and its power/falloff if its too big/small? Shouldn't there be a proportion between mesh size and the lights used?

thanks for replying.

cheers,
Alvaro
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the grid lines to whatever you want, and the grid doesn't dictate your scene, they are just reference markers. Use it to snap and align stuff, not to scale stuff.

I set my grid to 1/12. With 1 grid unit measuring one inch. But thats just my personal preference. you coudl easily set it to 10/100 for metric, with 10 representing a decameter and then you size it down with the hotkeys to get lower cm sizes.

I have posted some humanoid-to-scale models before. They are 72 units high (6 feet in inches). I prefere though, to just use a box that is 72 high and 18x18. It's a good size indicator for me, and easier to model around, without all the extra detail getting in the way.

That's why sometimes I post a scene, and you see some strange box standing near a door, or on my stages. Laughing
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh-huh!... that's interesting!

Will play around with the major/minor gridline settings and see how it goes. Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know that once you CTRL - your way down to preset grid size 1, your back to the powers of 2, and you'll have to open the options and fix your grid back. Laughing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then, why is Deled's grid also powers of 2? ( a la gtkradiant)

Because once upon a time, when Jeroen started out, those old FPS engines were the reference he was using to build the editor. It doesn't really make sense these days. Unless you are a programmer, in which case powers of two always make sense.
afecelis
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it!!!!! hehehehehhe. Thanks PJ for the answer. Wink

Then wouldn't it make sense to have such a prefab, like the one I'm suggesting, so we could just insert it and create stuff around it with proper proportions? I don't mean a prefab we want to export to other formats or anything, it's just for scaling purposes within deled, just like Daaark's boxes. Wink
When we finish our project, we can simply delete the figure, but if you guys could use a semi good-looking low poly mesh, it could even be used as part of our screenshots! Very Happy You could have both a male and a female reference figure (and extend it to a child, dog, etc figure, which hold proportions with the other figures in the group).

regards,
ALvaro
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2950
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Thnx VD! Wink

I think they should be added as deled prefabs. Smile

Trying the objs out now.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: