Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD Package Importer/Exporter Plugins released!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: DeleD Package Importer/Exporter Plugins released! Reply with quote

Don't you just hate manually sorting through your texture files, whenever you want to share your favorite DeleD scene with someone else? Tired of manually unzipping textures into the correct texture folder, somewhere on your harddisk?

The solution is here: DeleD Package Importer/Exporter Plugins.

Using the exporter, you can export your scene and all required textures into a single packed file, called a .DPS file (DeleD Packaged Scene).

Using the importer, you can import a .DPS file in a single click. The scene will be loaded into DeleD (so you can save it under any name you like), while the textures are automatically copied into your DeleD texture folders.

This functionality will eventually be included in the DeleD core application, but for now you can simply use these plugins to get the functionality into any recent version of DeleD.

As always, any feedback (bugs, requests, praise, etc) is most welcome! Very Happy

Note for those who are technically minded: a .DPS file is just a renamed .ZIP file, so it's certainly possible to manipulate them by hand, if so desired.
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it would be cool to have some kind of online database here at delgine.com, where you could upload your scenes to Very Happy
stressless

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mr. flether,
a online database with "public" files made by deled users.
It should be a big task, but i think the results will be worth it.
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks paul this is so incredibly usefull.

And yes an online database would be perfect Wink
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to say, but I think the .dps extension already exists!

if I make a dps file the Divx player sees it as a file of his kind.

Divx Player Skin File

I might be mistaken ofcourse.

EDIT: you might also want to make DeleD capable of opening dps files straight away, instead of having to download the plugin, just make it available to save and open this file. It's awesome!
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very lucky if you find an extension that doesn't already exist.
Guess how many .dat formats there are Laughing
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well extensions can go up to 4 letters? (like .tiff) so you can have 26x26x26x26 = 456976 different combinations Razz that isn't that hard to make a new one right xD

I also had one other question, it is possible to see how the code of the dps file is build up, because wordpad can't open it here. or if you save the file, the dxs and textures just get's saved in all the proper folders?
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
I also had one other question, it is possible to see how the code of the dps file is build up, because wordpad can't open it here.

Quote:
Note for those who are technically minded: a .DPS file is just a renamed .ZIP file, so it's certainly possible to manipulate them by hand, if so desired.

Wink
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
well extensions can go up to 4 letters? (like .tiff) so you can have 26x26x26x26 = 456976 different combinations Razz that isn't that hard to make a new one right xD

I also had one other question, it is possible to see how the code of the dps file is build up, because wordpad can't open it here. or if you save the file, the dxs and textures just get's saved in all the proper folders?

Not all combinations are created equally Razz

Maybe they should have just named it the .xyz format
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or the .nothing format:P what would that be xD oh you can't make the word . x x x :O
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with .dps. There are no extension police.
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Plugin, This is awesome

Although i still havent created any large scenes, i think this will be very useful for experienced modellers
jwatte
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw: extensions can go to any number of letters you want. For example, we use ".schema" and ".animation" and ".material" as extensions. You can register them in Windows, and they work out just fine, just like any three-letter extension. The three letters are just a convention. And there are lots of collisions that are worse than the DivX / DeleD collision -- how about ".dat" or ".bin" for example? :-)
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite partial to the ".bob" format Wink
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: DeleD Package Importer/Exporter Plugins released! Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Don't you just hate manually sorting through your texture files, whenever you want to share your favorite DeleD scene with someone else? Tired of manually unzipping textures into the correct texture folder, somewhere on your harddisk?

The solution is here: DeleD Package Importer/Exporter Plugins.

Using the exporter, you can export your scene and all required textures into a single packed file, called a .DPS file (DeleD Packaged Scene).

Using the importer, you can import a .DPS file in a single click. The scene will be loaded into DeleD (so you can save it under any name you like), while the textures are automatically copied into your DeleD texture folders.

This functionality will eventually be included in the DeleD core application, but for now you can simply use these plugins to get the functionality into any recent version of DeleD.

As always, any feedback (bugs, requests, praise, etc) is most welcome! Very Happy

Hi Paul-Jan Smile
I just tried the package exporter plugin and noticed one thing:

I couldn't remember what extension it used so I left it blank, and the resulting file had no extension...

I think it would be nice if it added the extension onto the filename if it was missing when creating the export package Smile

Just my 2c Smile

Other than that, nice work! Very handy...
cheers,
Paul

Hi ho...hi ho...it's off 3d modeling I go...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: