Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

path objects and curves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: path objects and curves Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was thinking of two enhancements that IMHO would be great to add into the DeleD editor.

Personally I would be happier to have enhancement 2 added first Smile

1. dedicated path objects - currently if you are creating a 'path' object for the Lathe command, or a special plugin which needs a path (or track), you usually use a poly line object.

I don't think this is as intuitive as a having a special path object that would just consist of vertices joined together - like a poly line but not closed. This path object could of course be manipulated in normal 3d space as usual, but it couldn't be triangluated, etc. as it is only a bunch of lines.

I envision that this could be used as the input to the lathe command (or other commands) and by plugins which of course would create the faces using that path.

2. Curve Objects (cubic bezier, cubic b-spline, catmull-rom, hermite) - see links below for curve examples

piece-wise cubic bezier interpolation

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/bezier/cubicbezier.html

general splines

http://www.blackpawn.com/texts/splines/

interpolation using different curves

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/miscellaneous/interpolation/

Perhaps you could even have a path object (1) that is also a curve of some kind so you could make nice smooth objects Smile

Feel free to disagree, nit-pick, and otherwise comment on my thoughts Smile

Just my humble 2c.

PS. Paul-Jan and crew, I already have some Delphi code that I created that has classes that can turn a list of 3d points into nice piece-wise curves using Bezier curves, etc. if that will help get stuff like this into DeleD...feel free to private message me Smile

cheers,
Paul
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a plugin out of that code, that creates a polygon out of a spline. The plugin allows you to create a spline which will be exported to DeleD (On the XZ plane for example). You could add a "detail" option that tells how many vertices should be used in the resulting polygon.

Just an idea. Cool
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chronozphere,
BTW are you from Pascal Game Development by any chance? Smile

I had thought of the plugin idea, but also thought that having 'native' curves inside DeleD would be great too Smile

Perhaps I will make a plugin to do that sort of thing...I had already made one plugin to do extrusions along polyline paths (http://www.delgine.com/plugins/viewPlugin.php?catid=41&catdesc=Extensions&contentid=22).

cheers,
Paul
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. I agree that native curves would be cooler. Smile

Quote:

BTW are you from Pascal Game Development by any chance? Smile

Yeah.. That's me.. There's only one Chronozphere. Laughing
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of having some sort of path primitive within DeleD which could be used for lathe or extrusion along path tools etc. It seems like a logical thing to have within DeleD.

After 2.0 comes out, we will be making up a short list of things to concentrate on next. The list will include things like CSG improvement and, quite possibly, new stuff like your suggestion.
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
I really like the idea of having some sort of path primitive within DeleD which could be used for lathe or extrusion along path tools etc. It seems like a logical thing to have within DeleD.

After 2.0 comes out, we will be making up a short list of things to concentrate on next. The list will include things like CSG improvement and, quite possibly, new stuff like your suggestion.

Neat! thanks for the "support" Jeroen Smile
I know that is no guarantee but still Wink

If you want, I could still email you my Delphi project that does the bezier, etc. piece-wise curves just so you guys have it just in case you go down that road later on?

Have a nice day chief Smile
cheers,
Paul
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_nicholls wrote:

If you want, I could still email you my Delphi project that does the bezier, etc. piece-wise curves just so you guys have it just in case you go down that road later on?

cheers,
Paul

Yeah, that would be great! Although I can't promise (not right now anyway) that we'll implement your suggestion, it's always good to have example source available. It might even simplify the decision whether or not to implement the feature. Wink

Please email it to the emailaddress in my profile. Thanks! Smile
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
paul_nicholls wrote:

cheers,
Paul

Yeah, that would be great! Although I can't promise (not right now anyway) that we'll implement your suggestion, it's always good to have example source available. It might even simplify the decision whether or not to implement the feature. Wink

Please email it to the emailaddress in my profile. Thanks! Smile

Hi Jeroen, I emailed you the source code + readme file on how to use the classes to your email address I had previously used to send my plugin to you Smile

I probably should rewrite the classes a bit but they should show enough on how to do this sort of thing Wink

cheers,
Paul
paul_nicholls
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I just thought of a new addition to paths, etc.

Allow to draw curves freehand, and then have the option of turning it into line segments no larger than some threshold size, or just turn it into x number of line segments Smile

This would be handy!

cheers,
Paul
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: