Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[tutorial] making a dirt path
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: [tutorial] making a dirt path Reply with quote

Hi DeleD-friends,

Today, I have fixed multi-layer material support in DeleD. When I did, I started playing with the possibilities. Turns out you can do some pretty cool stuff with this. Smile

Note: You can only follow this tutorial if you have DeleD 2.44 (or higher) or if you have downloaded and applied the "multitexture blend patch" from sourceforge.

First of all, you will need my NashaUV plugin as it is the only way to edit the different texture layers. It should be available in the plugins menu.

You might also want to download the files I used here (textures + initial DXS). The can be found here:
Download tutorial textures and DXS

Also, I assume that you are familiar with DeleD, texturing and materials.

Step 1:

Make a mesh of your landscape. I just used a grid. Arrange the vertices in such a way that you can see your path in the geometry. Like this:

Step 2:

Now we will make a new material. You will need two textures. One grass texture that is totally opaque (no alpha) and a texture of the path that is partially transparent. I used a 32bit TGA image. I wont explain here how to make this image transparent.

Make a new material. Put the grass texture in the first layer and the path texture in the second layer. The blend-mode of the second layer must be "alpha-blend".

Step 3:

Now apply this material to your landscape model. It will probably look like this now:

Step 4:

Start NashaUV and select the second layer by using the layer toolbutton at the top (It's the fourth from the right).

Step 5:

Now you want to make sure that the texture is visible in your left viewport. Double click "NO TEXTURE" in the statusbar. It now changes to "TEXTURE", double click again and you will have "TILES" which is what we want.

Select all vertices and scale them down alot, so that they fit in the black area next to the path. It shoud look like this:

Step 6:

Now select the polygons that make up our path. You can shift + click them in any viewport to select them.

Step 7:

Use the move tool (in the left viewport) to move these polygons away from the rest. Now you must use the move, rotate and scale tools to turn these polygons into a long strip. Like this:

Step 8:

We are almost done now. We just have to make sure that the strip is scaled correctly and that none of the vertices is ON the path. All vertices should be in the black area.

Now its time to fine-tune the UV coordinates. Take a good look in the 3d view and carefully move the vertices around in the UV viewport until everything looks neat.

Step 9:

Click the "Floppy disk" icon to send the changes to DeleD. Click the red arrow to exit the plugin.

The result:

I hope you find this tutorial usefull. I also hope more people will start using my plugin.

If you have any questions, please shout. Smile
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice addition, I use this sometimes (not in deled) but I always wanted to use it when I still used deled Wink
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys will love this. Very Happy Shocked

I just made this beach. I used alpha-blending as blend-mode, one double-layered texture and vertex colors (with alpha value) and my own plugin ofcourse. Wink

I could make a tutorial for this one aswell. But not now, because I need sleep. Razz
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks too cool. Thanks for the tut showing us how you did it.
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks really well! Thanks for the tutorial! Cool
harper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Fine! Reply with quote

Excellent improvement, thanx for that - but:
Where i can download it, or what you called DeleD 2.4 ?
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Excellent improvement, thanx for that - but:
Where i can download it, or what you called DeleD 2.4 ?

You can't. You have to wait for the 2.44 release. Only the DeleD developers can get the patch from sourceforge and apply it, in order to get multi-layer alphablending working.

If many people want to use this ASAP, we can release 2.44 a bit earlier. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature will be a boon for creating texturing that is more realistic.. excellent job Very Happy

I'm thinking moss, ivy, leaves, mountain tops.. the list goes on.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
This feature will be a boon for creating texturing that is more realistic.. excellent job Very Happy

I'm thinking moss, ivy, leaves, mountain tops.. the list goes on.

Actually, your post here started this. Very Happy

After reading it, I realized we almost had all the ingredients for multilayer materials. I just needed to fix this tiny blending issue, et voila! Cool
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I made a similar tutorial here. Nice to see multitexturing in DeleD working now!
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice one too. Very Happy

The only problem is that you might encounter z-fighting issues when rendering this in a game-engine, because the two planes are really close to eachother. That's why I prefer multitexturing. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking animated meshes for water using similar techniques.... I can also use Property behaviours to create rolling waves, surf, caustics.... Might even try my hand at clouds.... Shocked Cool

Checkout:
harper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Animated textures? Reply with quote

As an old Amiga-user i remember animation often was simulated by colour-rotating, what sometimes realized cool effects. So - what about animated GIF's or something for textures? Especially water surfaces could look good with this? I am in a productive phase, so i produce alot of ideas.... sorry.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experimented using actual video on a mesh to simulate water movement. Its worked very well once the short looped movie had downloaded. My experience in creating machinima helped a lot.

I have asked in several forums of many programmes about why GIF's arent supported graphic formats, as animated gifs would solve quite a few issues for designers.. not sure I fully believe the answers, but would be interested to hear here Smile
I suspect it has something to do with animating graphics requiring a runtime engine to work. Albeit I'm only interested in having these effects happening in our hosted engine. That is where the main issue may lie, Ogre graphics engine doesn't support animated gifs, like many other platforms don't either.

Checkout:
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Animated textures? Reply with quote

harper wrote:
As an old Amiga-user i remember animation often was simulated by colour-rotating, what sometimes realized cool effects. So - what about animated GIF's or something for textures? Especially water surfaces could look good with this? I am in a productive phase, so i produce alot of ideas.... sorry.

We cannot support that in the near future because animated textures are not that easy to integrate. BTW: Like AWM mars stated, that feature is not widely supported, so I don't see a reason to support it.

The DeleD codebase as grown over the years and it's not as structured as I would like. That's why I rather do small fixes and features.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: