Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generate UV Tool: Fit texture size to multiple faces

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Generate UV Tool: Fit texture size to multiple faces Reply with quote

I really like the fit texture size to face option the generate UV tool provides when I'm working with oddly-sized geometry, but I think it could use an upgrade. Right now, it can be very hard to fit textures in certain situations. Let's say you had a wall with a few windows. Your texture doesn't tile to the wall evenly, but since the wall is in multiple segments, you can't use the fit option to make your texture fit. You're basically stuck scaling up from the tiling texture generate UV normally creates until you get something "good enough." If the fit option would account for all selected faces, however, this wouldn't be a problem.

Another option I think would be very useful would be to treat the selected faces like a rectangle, instead of whatever shape they actually form. This would be really useful for wrapping textures around corners, or making tiled floors tile properly even when they're not a perfect square. This might not be preferable in all cases, so I would have this as a separate option, in addition to the fit option.
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need better UV tools. I'd prefer having planar and cylindrical UV mapping first, because they are used more often, i think.

I'd like to implement these features, but due to the many projects and my studies, I will not be able to add those soon.
Dragonsbrethren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think planar mapping is exactly what I was asking for, I was just unfamiliar with the term. It would certainly be a huge help with what I'm working on right now.

Edit: Reading a bit more, actually, it sounds like it's the opposite of what I want to do. I want to force a texture to fit to a certain piece of my map's geometry, while it sounds like planar mapping features in other modelers give you a template for creating your texture.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: