Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model scale and games

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Model scale and games Reply with quote

I wanted to take my Deled models to the next level and I'm doing a game now based on my own work. Im using Deled combined with Freeworld3d and Gamestudio A7.
The only problem is that when I export and then import the models from Deled to Freeworld3d they get get huuuuuge (in visual scale), and I need to scale them down by hand in Freeworld. So I was wondering what was the optimal model scale for games Confused
Say I did a 1024x1024 scaled map in Freeworld3d... What scale should my model be so that it's not too big, neither too small?

Thx!

Ps: don't be too harsh on me if I'v misunderstood something :>
Brenner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this as well, that the default size of models is huge. Is it just that the default size should always be changed? Like the default colours for selected objects (which are not visible at all when you first start)?

Or am I missing something too?
Mr.Fletcher
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeleD length units are arbitrary units and it depends on the game engine to interpret those units. 100 units in DeleD could be 1 meter or 100 meters (or 374,29 for that matter). You should look into the documentation of the engine on what size to use or find it out via trial & error Wink
chronozphere
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. This is also the reason why I think all importers/exporters should have a scale option. I know that at least some have. Smile
harper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Freeworld user Reply with quote

Hi Mighty1,
nice to meet another Freeworld user. The scaling seems no big problem for me. you only have to do it when you load a mesh the first time.
But since the Freeworld Forum is down, i do not getting reflection AND transparency for the water. Have you got this ??
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a primary issue we considered when setting up our business. Scale is everything.
Here is a weird senerio. In Second Life, people (including me) go out of their way to create very tall Avatars, I'm talking over 9 feet tall, then with the veiwpoint scaling ratio of around 1:3, most doorways are over 11 feet tall. The buildings are scaled accordingly, so every building takes up over 50% more land than required. Second Lifes main income is tier (rent) based upon square meters and its a monthly payment. In just over 6 years, Second Life has grossed over half a billion dollars income.

When we looked at interpolation between platforms, using Avatars and Content, scale was a primary concern. All our environments are built to a 1:1 scale. Our default Avatars are all 5'7" tall, which according to statistics are the average height of people in the western world. Everything else is scaled around that, with the exception of doorways, they are not a standard 1981mm (6'6") height, they are 2100 (almost 7') high as this accounts for camera bounce when walking through.

We encourage other platform creators/developers to use the same or similar scaling, as this will pave the way for interpolation between platforms of the future VR grid networks. The real issue seems to be the decisions made by the developers at the begining, as to whether they adopt a scaling/measuring standard that aligns with real life.
In some platforms they simply use 'Units', the developers suggest you can interpret a Unit to what ever you want.... what happens if a creator adopt a Unit as say an Inch, or a Centimeter, maybe even a Mile? Unless that is referenced somewhere within the individual project, and that maybe simply a part of a collective project, then how do you import it?

Avatars are the same issue. If you craft all your models with a standard doorway, how will they get into buildings etc? Avatars are also somewhat special in that for the physics engine, they have a mass rating.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found with using torque, that making models is simple. 1 square of the grid in deled == 1 square meter in torque. (3 square feet)
The best advice I can give the op, make a few simple cubes of differing sizes and find the proper height for your game engine. Then build with that size in mind. (I made 4 boxes. 1 - 4 grid squares in height)
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: