Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeleD Winter Compo 2010!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: DeleD Winter Compo 2010! Reply with quote

So there it is again, by popular request. We proudly present to you:

DeleD Winter Compo 2010

DeleD's annual compo: It's a tradition, really! Cool

The Compo
- Theme: winter fair.
- Environment: A town square, marketplace sort of thing
- Needs: At least two market stalls. And lots of snow!
- Props: Pick any 3 out of: ice sculpture, red wine, colored decorations on the market stalls, sheep, church tower with bell, x-mas presents, ice skate track, fire place, hot chocolate, advertisement billboards, x-mas tree, snow sled, reindeer, fireworks.

So the idea this year is to show a winter fair with various decorations of your choice. You may put x-mas elements in there too, but it doesn't have to be an x-mas scene. It would be nice to see some cottages / houses around the fair but these are optional. In the end, the scene should make us all feel warm and cozy. Wink It's up to you to achieve that goal! Get creative people! Very Happy

The obligatory props don't need to prominently featured at all, as long as they are visible. All sorts of twisted combinations, additional elements, open-minded interpretations etc. are allowed.

The rules
1. You need to be a member of the forum to join the competition. If you want to register an account just to show your competition entry, that's fine, but please introduce yourself here too.
2. The compo will run from December 4th to midnight, January 15th, Amsterdam time (GMT+1). If people need more time, the end-date can be changed.
3. All entries should be made in DeleD, without any postprocessing. Edit: you can submit up to 5 pictures of your scene.
4. The winners are picked by Jeroen and Paul-Jan.
5. Post any questions/remarks you might have about this competition on the forum. Right here in this thread will do fine.

The Rewards
- Having a fun time and sharing that with your fellow DeleD users. Smile
- Eternal fame and glory! Cool

Entering
You can enter the competition by showing your entry in this thread. Note: all entries will be put in the gallery too after the compo is done.

Voting
Jeroen and Paul-Jan will judge the entries. There will be only one winner, who will be announced in the week after the compo is closed.

Requests
1. Tell your friends!
2. If you would like to sponsor this contest by donating prizes, please contact us a.s.a.p. !

Last edited by Jeroen on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
stressless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool !
but are we allowed to enter 2 scenes instead of one, or do we do one scene? because there was a discussion about the amount of scenes you may sumbit.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One scene per contender! It's up to you to create the best scene you can come up with. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming we post pictures from the scene. Is there a limit on the number of pictures you can submit?
What I am developing is a set with a lot of detail, which a lot of would be missed, so I'd like to take quite a lot of pictures, maybe if I show say 6 main views, but provide either/or a webpage gallery or a zip file link to the rest of the pictures.

After the contest, I'll be trying to host the environment, so people can walk round and look at all the peices. In addition, breaking items out and posting them as seperate models to share.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it's just one picture, but I'm certainly willing to chance that rule this year. Keeps things fresh and all. Smile

So, you're allowed to post up to 5 pictures of your environment.

Note, before anyone asks, no videos of your scene are allowed. Pictures only, no postprocesing.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my entry for this years competition.

I enjoyed the experience and believe it moved me forward in creativity skills. I still have a long way to go, to reach the skill levels of many here on these forums, and other places but the journey has been incredible.

After the competition, I will break down the scene into many of the models used and post them to share with the community. Enjoy.

[EDITED] Screenshots Revised/updated, as per post below

I had to optimise the scene, due to reaching well over 75,000 polygons. The final count is: Polygons=46,842 Edges=92,973 Vertices=52,659 and took just over 7 hours to lightmap.

Checkout:

Last edited by AWM Mars on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work,a lot to look at.Nice little details,i like the hanging ice Very Happy Well done.

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
onzevil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you Beautiful Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tincho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the encouraging comments. Very Happy

Having posted those pictures.. I just realised I lightmapped (took over 7 hours) the wrong version Shocked

I will simply replace the links to the new screenshots, hopefully today, I started the lighmapping some 3 hours ago and its a 1/3rd the way through.

The scenes won't change that much, but it is missing a signpost and snow footprints on the pathway. The snow footprints are the sole reason there is a chair in the scene lol.

Checkout:
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not commenting on the work, as I'm judge. Wink
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:

Having posted those pictures.. I just realised I lightmapped (took over 7 hours) the wrong version Shocked

I will simply replace the links to the new screenshots, hopefully today, I started the lighmapping some 3 hours ago and its a 1/3rd the way through.

The scenes won't change that much, but it is missing a signpost and snow footprints on the pathway. The snow footprints are the sole reason there is a chair in the scene lol.

that's ridiculous, 7 hours!

To improve your lighting quality and speed in the future you should try to model your scene out of equal sized polygons. Even large flat surfaces, just subdivide them to make it all equal, then you can achieve pretty good results with low quality lightmaps.
and it will also make the scene much cleaner in terms of wireframe.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that you put all that hard work in the scene, and then you show it to the world with the windows toolbar and all that shit around it which really drags it down and shows that you don't really care about presentation, which is just as important as the creation.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
AWM Mars wrote:

that's ridiculous, 7 hours!

To improve your lighting quality and speed in the future you should try to model your scene out of equal sized polygons. Even large flat surfaces, just subdivide them to make it all equal, then you can achieve pretty good results with low quality lightmaps.
and it will also make the scene much cleaner in terms of wireframe.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that you put all that hard work in the scene, and then you show it to the world with the windows toolbar and all that shit around it which really drags it down and shows that you don't really care about presentation, which is just as important as the creation.

My sole aim with this scene creation wasn't poly count, but content. Most of the scene remains only partially optimised, as it will not become a live environment, I felt why waste the energy. It is not like I am glued to the screen for 7 hours Laughing

The reason I left the borders etc in the pictures is simple. To prove they are straight screenshots and not post processed. Certainly I would have preferred to have cropped them, even adjusted the colour balance etc, but I figured that was against the rules. I think it unfair that you consider that I am careless about my presentation, I do not believe I have ever presented a picture of any scene here on these forums, that shows a lack of care. If the rules permit, I will certainly present them in my usual flavour.

Checkout:
elementrix
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you want short lightmapping times is so you can iterate, the lighting looks pretty flat atm. and if you have a lightmapping time of a couple of minutes you can do 100 lightmaps on a day instead of 2 to create a really nice mood. Lighting is one of - if not - the most important thing.

oh and the borders don't prove anything, you could have still adjusted the area within the borders. Just try to stay away from posting images with borders:P

I see you changed it, much better ;P
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elementrix wrote:
The reason you want short lightmapping times is so you can iterate, the lighting looks pretty flat atm. and if you have a lightmapping time of a couple of minutes you can do 100 lightmaps on a day instead of 2 to create a really nice mood. Lighting is one of - if not - the most important thing.

oh and the borders don't prove anything, you could have still adjusted the area within the borders. Just try to stay away from posting images with borders:P

I see you changed it, much better ;P

Yes the lighting is supposed to be 'flat'. In winter conditions the sun and moons light is greatly reduced in contrast due to the atmospherics, resulting in flatter and softer shadows.
There is also a slight colour cast added to the ambient light, to simulate the moons winter light cast.
However this is all mute, the lighting is in balance with the lanterns and street lamp in the scene, too much contrast would have burnt away much of the hidden detail that the viewer can explore.

I removed the borders and cropped the pictures to a better quality, after the lightmapping of the correct scene. With regard to proving orginal screenshots, I have packaged up the whole scene and will gladly email this to the judges.

Are you making an entry this year?

Checkout:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: