Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scrolling really "laggy"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redskyforge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Scrolling really "laggy" Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been using DeleD successfully for the past few months and have shipped a game on Android with environments built using it, so you can say I've been really happy with it so far!

Recently I reinstalled Windows XP on the PC I was using before. I was running Windows 7 with DeleD with no problems. Now I've done a clean install of XP on the same hardware, and when I try to use DeleD I can't seem to scroll around a scene without it being really "laggy", i.e. it will scroll perhaps 20 pixels at a time every few seconds as I'm smoothly dragging the mouse. Occasionally it will even not scroll at all and instead pop up the context menu, I guess as if I've clicked the RMB without holding or moving it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really love to continue using DeleD but this is making modelling very difficult.

Thanks!

Dave

Edit: My graphics drivers are up to date.
Another edit: Rotating in the perspective view seems to work fine. Strange.
Edit again: "Focus on selection" isn't working how it used to work. Usually things are centered and zoomed to fit the window. Now they're off center and not zoomed enough.

I also noticed that this is a beta version, and I can't find an installer for a non-beta. Not sure if this is anything to do with it Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

That's indeed a weird problem. I can run DeleD on my old XP machine just fine - never had scrolling problems. Some external factor must be the cause of this, of course, because otherwise every XP user out there would have similar problems, which isn't the case.

So... let's verify some things: does this on 2D and 3D views? Can you zoom in/out? Does it happen with large scenes, or all the time? As I'm thinking it's something external, I'm guessing the issue occurs all the time.

Are you absolutely sure your drivers are up to date? In 99% of the time it's a driver issue. If they're up to date, are there any other drivers you could use?

P.s do you have a website for your game? Love to see what you've used DeleD for. Smile
redskyforge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your reply!

Nope, it only seems to happen on the 2D views, and it's on old, larger scenes I made on a previous version and on a brand new scene with nothing in it. I can hold MMB and zoom in/out in 3D view and it's smooth, and rotating is smooth too, but when I try to pan in any of the 2D windows it's almost impossible. Zooming in 2D is fine too.

I downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card (nVidia 8800 GT) when I reinstalled Windows last week. I can run games fine (World of Warcraft on all high settings).

I'll try updating the drivers again I guess, it does kind of seem like it might be a driver issue as it's a clean install.

The game's at http://redskyforge.com/Discretion.php Smile

Thanks again!
redskyforge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a 'clean' install of the latest nVidia drivers (they were up-to-date anyway) and the problem is still there.

Are there any older versions of DeleD knocking about that I could try, just to make sure it's not a problem with DeleD? Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew.. and I was thinking it was just me... however I'm not sure its XP related, as I was using a system with XP (SP3) and everything up to date and the 2D views worked fine. I am experiencing what you describe but on my X-Blade running Vista (SP2) and all drivers etc up to date.

Both machines are running 32 bit OS. Both have 4gb ram, the only real difference is the graphics card, one (with the Vista) is running a 8600GT with 256MB ram, the XP system has a 8500GT with 1GB ram.

I do hope this can be fixed, as it is very jerky panning about the 2D views, yet the 3D window is a dream (fortunately, as it would be unusable otherwise).

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
redskyforge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it the more I don't understand it - it runs fine on my partner's PC with Windows XP. It's a really strange issue. Why can I draw primitives with no problems at all, yet scrolling doesn't work? Surely the only real difference in code there is right mouse button Vs left mouse button?

Last edited by redskyforge on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at the moment, I'm lost for answers. Those graphics cards of AWM are surely good enough. DeleD runs well on my old XP machine with a lesser card.

Difficulty, of course, is that DeleD runs fine on most configurations which makes finding a solution hard.

Hmm... perhaps I can create a testversion for you guys to try out?
redskyforge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Well, at the moment, I'm lost for answers. Those graphics cards of AWM are surely good enough. DeleD runs well on my old XP machine with a lesser card.

Difficulty, of course, is that DeleD runs fine on most configurations which makes finding a solution hard.

Hmm... perhaps I can create a testversion for you guys to try out?

I'd be very happy to try out a testversion Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a testversion online here. I made a small change to the rendering code for 2D views. I doubt if this works, but it's worth a shot! Let me know if this works.
redskyforge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
I've put a testversion online here. I made a small change to the rendering code for 2D views. I doubt if this works, but it's worth a shot! Let me know if this works.

Nope, still the same I'm afraid.

I've also just noticed the U/V Editor view pans fine - which is also a 2D view! So it's only the top/side/front views this happens with.
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as things have worked in the past and are still working on other configurations (I can't reproduce it here), I doubt I'll find a solution by tweaking the rendering code. However, I've compared 2d, 3d and uv rendering code. Made a few changes to the 2d code and uploaded a new testversion (see previous link). Nothing big though but let's give a try. Let me know!

The only thing I can think of next is that version of opengl32.dll is wrong (I'm on 6.0.6000, assuming DeleD uses the one found in system32 folder, I can't remember)? I'm guessing here...
redskyforge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Well, as things have worked in the past and are still working on other configurations (I can't reproduce it here), I doubt I'll find a solution by tweaking the rendering code. However, I've compared 2d, 3d and uv rendering code. Made a few changes to the 2d code and uploaded a new testversion (see previous link). Nothing big though but let's give a try. Let me know!

The only thing I can think of next is that version of opengl32.dll is wrong (I'm on 6.0.6000, assuming DeleD uses the one found in system32 folder, I can't remember)? I'm guessing here...

Same issue. I have a slightly older version of opengl32.dll than you. Could you email me your version please so I can swap it in and try? davedx@gmail.com

Also (you're going to hate me!) I noticed another regression in this version that I didn't have before: renaming objects in the Object Inspector now has a bug where it lets you edit the 'Name' label instead of the field itself. It's working fine for renaming things like lights but not for geometry. I used the Scene Inspector to rename it which worked, but this was definitely working before as I used it all the time.

Smile
redskyforge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I don't think you should spend time trying to fix this. I just checked and I have exactly the same version of DeleD.exe and opengl32.dll as the ones on my partner's PC. I'm just going to have to accept there's something strange going on with my PC and use the other one for modelling work. Thanks for investigating though, it's appreciated Smile
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's leave it at that, then. If we come across more hints on this one, we can get into it again. Smile
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now this is spooky. DeleD 2D views have been laggy until just after I made the post above, then I opened a different existing file, created a simple cube, then selected it in the 2d view, deleted it, then saved the file, closed and reopened DeleD.. guess what, it's fine now Shocked

In theory, there should be no change to the file, yet something happened, even though I cannot recreate it, as all 2D views work as they are supposed to.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: