Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Submerged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post a new image because well all love screenshots, dont we? Laughing

Anyway here is some of the first asian style props i have made. More to come later. Smile

Those fence parts are made modular, so i can do different style of fenced area's inside Unity3D with em.

- Timpuktu
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timpuktu wrote:
Hi guys.
I also love debates and i thought myself would plant life live in a cave and most likely the answer is no.
For this reason i tought that there would be garden area's where you can see the sky, so plants could grow there.

Having open areas would be fine too, of course, but one of the main characteristics of any good cave environment is that it makes the gamer feel claustrophobic. As in: "Hey, I feel there's no way outa here!". If you can see the sky, this effect would be gone.

How about this: I recently saw a video of deap sea creatures omitting light. Bioluminescent creatures. Check this video. Now, in caves, you will need some sort of natural light source (as opposed of having torches etc). How about having light-omitting roots? This not only gives light to the gamer, but allows other types of things to grow too.
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to have dripping water sounds to Twisted Evil .

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granada: Ofcource dripping water sounds and alot more ambient sounds that creep out the player when i start to add sound effects. Nice ambient soundscape is a must. Wink

Jeroen: I like the idea of light omitting roots, it might give my cave it's own bizarre feeling.

I was also thinking of making a new route that goes deep underground and add lava area's there which would also give a new light source.

Another light source idea i had was to add light omitting crystals to the cave.

Im also ripped apart because the sky issue, first reason is same as your that my cave would loose it's claustrophobic feeling.
Then again i would like to have somewhere place where the people living in my cave world could grow food.
Ofcource all of this could be answered easy if i know what type of game i am making.

Because this project started as modelling project and not game project i havent planned much anything yet, so all might change if i get some brilliant idea for this project.

Idea: If i keep it much as claustrophobic i can then maybe this game could be an Horror Adventure Game. Maybe the player was hiking and accidentally fell to cavern. Then player's goal would be get out of the cave.

All ideas are welcome and i try to make somekind of work-able solution for it.

- Timpuktu
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe the player was hiking and accidentally fell to cavern

Nice idea.

Dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what time does this story play? Present time, medieval time, future? I'm a huge fan of medieval types of games myself. Wink
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Granada.

Jeroen wrote:
In what time does this story play? Present time, medieval time, future? I'm a huge fan of medieval types of games myself. Wink

Im not sure, maybe world outside cave is in modern time and the cave itself is in... maybe in some sort of time and space continum rupture so it could be mix of ancient, modern and future. Laughing

I was even thinking that you would try to get out of the cavern that's in somewhere in middle ages and finaly when player get's out, it's a compelete sci-fi world outside. Very Happy

I wanted to show you how big my cave area is currently and it getting alot of bigger all the time. Smile

Top view.

Scene information
Size: Width 4880, Height 1312 and Depth 3504.
5894 polygons, 15280 edges and 9477 vertices.

Still long way to go before i can call it done. Cool

- Timpuktu
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timpuktu wrote:

Im not sure, maybe world outside cave is in modern time and the cave itself is in... maybe in some sort of time and space continum rupture so it could be mix of ancient, modern and future. Laughing

I was even thinking that you would try to get out of the cavern that's in somewhere in middle ages and finaly when player get's out, it's a compelete sci-fi world outside. Very Happy

I'm not sure that's the way to go. I think most gamers would expect only one type of world. I myself would get confused if I had to deal with medieval situations and then sci-fi situations etc. But then again, that might just be me. Wink My 2 cents? Pick one world and stick with it. And the sooner you decide, the earlier you can build stuff specifically for that type of world.

Your screenshot looks great - it's quite a world already and I can't wait to see more of this. Cool

Btw, how did you model the caves themselves? I was thinking about using cubes with their sides subdivided multiple times and then using the Vertex Magnet tool to dent them. I wonder if that would look good...
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:

I'm not sure that's the way to go. I think most gamers would expect only one type of world. I myself would get confused if I had to deal with medieval situations and then sci-fi situations etc. But then again, that might just be me. Wink My 2 cents? Pick one world and stick with it. And the sooner you decide, the earlier you can build stuff specifically for that type of world.

Your screenshot looks great - it's quite a world already and I can't wait to see more of this. Cool

Btw, how did you model the caves themselves? I was thinking about using cubes with their sides subdivided multiple times and then using the Vertex Magnet tool to dent them. I wonder if that would look good...

It was just an idea that i trough out just get some talking point. Cool

I do agree with you having specific world setting because it might just get too odd for the player if settings change all the time.
I was thinking middle age but i also would like to have things like electricity.
It could be a steam punk type of world, then there could be a way to have electric but still keep it ancient alike. Smile

I created the cave by making an face and then extruding it as an mad man in Edge mode and then with the Vertice mode, i shaped it in more cave alike form. Wink

Edit: Does DeleD still have an IRC channel some where? I would like to chat with you guys about my project but also anything relating DeleD also.
I also thought that i could create some models for you guys also, to distribute with DeleD if you want.

- Timpuktu
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So start with ill show couple of new screenshots to get your attention. Wink

Next i want to make an announcement that ill do two cave projects.

First is this that i have been working and im not sure yet what it will be. Maybe it's just interactive cave scene or something. Question

Next is an Horror Adventure Game, based on the idea from my previous post. For this i will create completely new cave
because for the gameplay purpose current cave is too non linear.I still however will continue working on current
cave also for use it in first cave project. I might take some part of it and use them in second project.

The new cave need to be more linear for both gameplay and story wice and way the current cave is build,
i dont know any logical way to make player go through all the area's without need to run after switch, after switch
and i dont think that would be fun. Confused

Story as far as i have planned it goes that player is been accused of murder and non other than the beloved king.
Only by the queen's mercy player does not get the death penalty but is thrown in prison inside a cave known
as Underworld (name might change during development).

Player's goal is to escape from dungeon and clear he's name by finding out who killed the king.

The story need to fleshed out more but that's basically it. Game will happen in ancient world maybe mix of different architecture styles. Smile

Also i thought that the second project would be released as episodic game, so like 1-2 hour of gameplay / episode.
In first episode i thought it would be mainly running, crouching, jumping though the cave and also avoiding traps.
This way i can concentrate on one gameplay area first before ill start to add more features like AI.

All comments, questions and ideas are highly welcome as always.

- Timpuktu
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you decided on creating a Horror Adventure game. Smile

Timpuktu wrote:
Story as far as i have planned it goes that player is been accused of murder and non other than the beloved king.
Only by the queen's mercy player does not get the death penalty but is thrown in prison inside a cave known
as Underworld (name might change during development).

Player's goal is to escape from dungeon and clear he's name by finding out who killed the king.

Warning: this sounds a LOT like Ultima Underworld. Story in that game is that the player is accused of kidnapping the daughter of the local baron and is thrown into the Stygian Abyss (the name of the cave enviroment) to go and get the girl back.

About episodic game: I think you should go all the way and give the player all at once. So including AI and all that. Players won't expect anything less nowadays, I think.
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen wrote:
Good to see you decided on creating a Horror Adventure game. Smile

Warning: this sounds a LOT like Ultima Underworld. Story in that game is that the player is accused of kidnapping the daughter of the local baron and is thrown into the Stygian Abyss (the name of the cave enviroment) to go and get the girl back.

About episodic game: I think you should go all the way and give the player all at once. So including AI and all that. Players won't expect anything less nowadays, I think.

Reason behind horror game would be that i might not need many different enemies and also in horror, it's much scary when you don't see the thing that seeks to harm you.

Idea behind episodic game is that i could get something released faster because im just a single person running this operation. I still need to think this through before ill make my mind.

I didnt think that the story is original in anyway and i have played Ultima: Underworld so maybe that's why it so almost identical. Cool

It was just some fast idea i come up with. Previous idea of hiking and falling in cavern was simple but i thought that it would be quite hard to explain why there is people inside the cave or has been anyway.

Back to the drawing board, i see. Laughing

- Timpuktu
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this cave project for some time now and i desided to take a break from cave stuff until ill come up with proper game plan.

So i desided to build some sci-fi stuff for submerged project and here is screenshot of what i have done so far. It's still very simple because im trying to get the layout done first before i start to add detail.

I also thought that my submerged project could be an first person shooter. Then i could reuse most of my code between these projects. Smile

Here is the screenshot:

- Timpuktu
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horror can be based upon many elements, none moreso than the one that hits hardest into the human psyche, something stalking you.

Maybe the stalker could be water, by having the start of the adventure on a low level, which slowly begins to fill with water, so you have to achieve all you need to (could be triggering elements to operate a water tight hatch to open), before the level becomes fully submerged, effectively drowning the player.
Perhaps the rising water levels trigger a sensor actually closing the water tight door, trapping you inside. A build up of verbal warnings of the pending hatch shutting (count down) would add to the drama, much like the computers voice (Mother) in Alien, did to us all. Shocked

Storyline: Earths first underground 'biosphere', you were a technician working on the lower levels, when a pipe ruptured causing a system overload, you were knocked out in the ensuing rush to evacuate, now you have to work your way through service tunnels (caves etc) and parts of the complex you are not familiar with, to escape.

You also know there is an overall timer, counting down the 'topside' hatch being closed, to seal the complex from contaminating the atmosphere outside. RUN!!!!!!

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Timpuktu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars:
I like that idea of running away of water but i think it would require some pacing to get it right. Mostly games are based on Challenge -> Reward system, similar how your train your dog, eh? Laughing
So i think player would need to do a certain task and after the task is complete, reward is presented like new weapon or skill, etc. Also i think it might get boring if all you are doing is running away from water.
Still, i like the idea. Smile

Also i could use similar elements like fire that you need to avoid. I just thought that i could have an conspiracy plot in it by having third party members that caused the pipe rupture. Somekind of earth love hippy movement that thinks it blasphemy to dig in earth or something. Rolling Eyes

All:
New screenshot of the level from previous post.

- Timpuktu
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: