Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single Edged Sword

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alovon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Single Edged Sword Reply with quote

Okay, so I saw a really really old request for a sword, and I never felt it was fully addressed, so although the user who requested it will probably never see it, I feel it's good for the community nonetheless. This is rather low poly, and certainly not a cinematic type prop. More so for in-game use seeing as that is what I designed it for.

Step One: Get yourself a block Very Happy

Pretty straightforward. For the first portion of the tutorial we'll be snapping the vertices to the grid. It's just easier, and makes the tutorial faster. So F8 NOW!

Step Two: *insert witty title here*

Just extrude the top face up a bit. Extrude as many times as you want. It all just depends on how you want to style the cross-tree.

Step Three: Taking Shape

Rearrange the vertices to get the style of cross-tree (Not really a cross-tree in this example, but I frankly don't know much for sword terminologies.)

Step Four: "Negative to positive, grounded. Positive to negative, arc weld."

Weld the vertices that are extremely close together. I just like to keep things neat for the time being.

Step Five: I've got nothing

Inset the top face, and then connect the two longest edges on each side.

Step Six: Adding an edge

Average the two front most vertices like so. Then weld them together. It almost looks like you could cut something with it now right??? Okay well... Not quite... But STILL!

Step Seven: The little things

Connect the edges on the front faces, and the back faces. Then pull them out a bit. This just gives the model a bit of a more rounded look. Blocky is not always good.

Step Eight: Moving on up

Extrude the "Blade Face" up a couple times and give it a bit of shape like this.

Step Nine: Ah, now I see it...

Starting to look good. Take the top two extrusions and rotate them a bit. I rotated the top most face 90 degrees, and I just experimented with the vertices below it to get a rather rounded blade.

Step Ten: Making connections

Weld the vertices that end up close together after you rotate the upper face. You can also go ahead and connect those two awkward vertices making the back tip of the blade into a triangle.

Step Eleven: I can count!

Add an inset to the bottom of the cross-tree-thingy. Oh and F8 now. Snap off.

Step Twelve: Nearly done

Extrude scale and shape the hilt. The style I chose may not appeal to everyone, so I leave this portion of the tutorial a bit open ended.

Step Thirteen: Making it pretty

I extruded the bottom of the hilt one final time, averaged and welded the vertices, and then extruded them to get this weird pointy bulbous result. I like it. :p

Step Fourteen: I made a mistake. Can you tell?

Correct the top of the cross tree by connecting the vertices on the front edge of the cross-tree and the blade, and the back two vertices of the blade and the back vertex of the cross-tree. Then slide the entire blade up the Y axis a bit. Then it looks much better!

Not A Step: No seriously...

There you have it! A finished, and rather decent looking sword! I welded a couple of extra vertices together on the back of the blade because I was frustrated with the wasted polys.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, thanks for sharing.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Very Happy

I'm sure people will find this tutorial useful, thanks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: