Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deled measurements- m, mm, km?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Flag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Deled measurements- m, mm, km? Reply with quote

I'm building maps for my games and I'm going to renderthem using ligtwave and play them in ut 2004 I need to know what measurements deled relates to i.e meters because 1m in lightwave = 1unit in unreal ed... I ask this because there is going to be a great modding "revolution or something" coming up between Doom III, Half-life 2, Unreal Tournament games...If deled could work to scale on all 3...that would be awesome... because deled is much simpler than those apps...I intend to use Unreal engine for my game...because I'm certain there'll be another ut game....any ideas? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to know what measurements deled relates to i.e meters because 1m in lightwave = 1unit in unreal ed...

Well, i'm not familiar with measurements other editors use so I can't answer that question at the moment. To me it would be a matter of creating a level in DeleD and loading it in the various apps to find out the difference in measurements. But maybe someone else knows more about this subject?
SneakyPete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little difficult to translate units into mm, m etc because the actual size of your object is more conceptual than physical Wink A unit in DeleD can be a meter, km or Martian mile, it all depends on the scale you are using while modelling. What I would recommend is to create a few simple models, load them into Lightwave and then see what kind of size difference you are dealing with. Once you know this, you can create your models in DeleD and scale them accordingly. The only other option I can think of is to create a Lightwave export plug-in. Very Happy
dirkk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, scaling depends on the game engine.

If you are an owner of the UT2004 special edition, then there is one of the tutorial videos that explains in great detail how the scaling should be in UnrealED for UT2004. And, I have to add, if you want to create levels for UT2004 then you should take UnrealEd which is part even of the standard edition (you did buy some edition, did you?). Although I like DeleD very much, there is not much ways around UnrealEd unless you want to make it hard on yourself.

For us regular folks with Blitz3D or DarkBasic we can do the scaling ourself (except the UV coordinates, that's why I was asking for 'overall scaling').

For my experiments I would guess that 128 units are about the hight of a typical doorway (If I remember right this was the same with UT2004).
The Flag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running tests all day and it seems that deled is diectly proportional to lightwave 3d...meaning 1 dled unit = 1m in lightwave...this is great news because you can use deled for your levels which would make level design a breeze and then create you characters in lightwave. This would also help lightmapping bcause if you are making a freeware game you could use lightwave discovery edition. make your maps in areas not as a whole and save your map in layers...since the lightwave discovery edition is free...it would make deled the perfect professional map making tool...thanks again I love the new version....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
granada
Team member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news thanks for testing Very Happy

dave
Nvida Geforce GTX 580
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: