Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UV Mapping scene objects into one texture?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanojbacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: UV Mapping scene objects into one texture? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've just started using DeleD, with the aim of using it to create assets for the Multiverse Showcase world we're working on.

I'm working on a simple apartment block, to use as a placeholder.
My block is actually two separate cubes (the building, and a sort of foyer) and I've generated a UV map for them both. When I was playing around with the faces in the UV Editor window, all the faces were there (for both blocks).
However, when I exported the UV map as a JPEG, only the foyer cube was included, and not the main building.

As I said, I'm completely new to DeleD, so I suspect I'm missing something.

Any help would be great Smile

- T
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T, welcome to these forums! Smile

Yes I get the same results. I haven't coded that part of DeleD but I suspect it was designed to work with the idea in mind that each object has its own UV map. So, if your block actually consists of 2 separate objects, I think it's best to create separate UV maps for each of them, too.

However, DeleD also allows multiple textures to be assigned to a single object, which is the total opposite of the above. Wink I can imagine changing DeleD in such a way that it exports all polygons of all objects into a single UV map.

Any thoughts on this?
tristanojbacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen,

(My middle name is actually Jerome! I think it was the name of my Dutch great-grandfather.)

Ok, as long as I'm not missing anything. So at the moment, you can't group all scene objects into one UV map? For the moment, that's fine.

As I said, I'm using DeleD for the Multiverse Foundation's Showcase world (I'll tell you more about that in a second). I don't know how familiar you are with the setup of Multiverse assets, but if I were to export a scene with multiple polygons, would the UV maps (assuming they had been applied in DeleD) be packed into the .material file?

My thoughts on a single UV map - that would make things much easier! (Assuming the answer to my previous question is No)

The Multiverse MMO Development Platform has now gone open source (under the MIT License), and I am part of the non-profit organization that is maintaining the platform, and running the community. I mainly do the marketing and community side of things, but I do have a minimal 3D modelling background, which is why I'm starting to use DeleD.
We need to make some models for the Showcase world that we're working on, which will server as a sort of Demo for developers that would like to test the functionalities of the Platform.

So, I'm basically here to learn how to use DeleD!
How active is the community here? We're looking to get some volunteers who would be willing to help us create assets for the Showcase, and I thought I'd start here (mainly because DeleD can be used directly with Multiverse!)

- T
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh full circle...I was the one that bugged Paul Jan to create that Multiverse exporter a few years back, glad the DeleD->MV pipeline still works.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? You are using a single texture (material) for two objects and they won't export the texture for one of the objects?

Maybe once you have UV mapped the two objects, try using merge?

EDIT:
When I read this "However, when I exported the UV map as a JPEG, only the foyer cube was included, and not the main building." it left me confused. The texture is just a texture, as long as its the same format as the one used in DeleD, and the UV mapping info is stored in the mesh(s) information, maybe it's the exporter?

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
tristanojbacon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starnick wrote:
Heh full circle...I was the one that bugged Paul Jan to create that Multiverse exporter a few years back, glad the DeleD->MV pipeline still works.

I was told about DeleD by one of the Foundation team members, and he raved about it!
It's so much easier to use than other modellers like Blender and 3DS Max, and the fact that the exporter puts the files in the right places makes the asset creation process far smoother!
So thanks very much for that! Were you a Multiverse user originally?

AWM Mars wrote:

Am I missing something here? You are using a single texture (material) for two objects and they won't export the texture for one of the objects?

Maybe once you have UV mapped the two objects, try using merge?

EDIT:
When I read this "However, when I exported the UV map as a JPEG, only the foyer cube was included, and not the main building." it left me confused. The texture is just a texture, as long as its the same format as the one used in DeleD, and the UV mapping info is stored in the mesh(s) information, maybe it's the exporter?

I hadn't thought about using Merge!
With the foyer and building cubes, only the foyer cube was UV mapped on the exported JPEG, even though both objects were visible on the in-editor UV map view, regardless of which cube was selected. Perhaps I just need to merge them.
AWM Mars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience and hairloss, some exporters/importers handle things differently. Some have issues with sub-meshes, groups etc, so I always try and merge all meshes before exporting.

In DeleD, simply hold the shift and click on each mesh/object in the scene list, then click Merge (requires confirmation). Worth noting, when merging, vertices within the same space will be welded.

When using the UV mapper (default one), right clicking the window gives the option to repeat the texture. That way you can group various portions of the Atlas texture, in different parts of the screen, without having to use the same singular texture space. Very useful should you need to make changes to just part of the UV map. You can globally select the UV map portions by Shift and drag a selection box around those faces, in the UV map window.

I agree whole heartedly about how easy DeleD makes, creating models and whole scenes, over other programmes. Having tried Truespace and Blender, they are the opposite end of the 'easy' spectrum. However, when I need OpenCollada formats, or having multiple textures, shadow mapping, bump mapping ect, I use 3DMax, only because of its close origins to AutoCad, which I am familar. For modelling, DeleD wins hands down.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Starnick
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristanojbacon wrote:
Starnick wrote:

I was told about DeleD by one of the Foundation team members, and he raved about it!
It's so much easier to use than other modellers like Blender and 3DS Max, and the fact that the exporter puts the files in the right places makes the asset creation process far smoother!
So thanks very much for that! Were you a Multiverse user originally?

For a while I dabbled - I also wrote the "Exporting a Static Mesh from DeleD" page on the original MV wiki. But yeah, DeleD's the best low-poly modeling editor out there in my opinion.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: