Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightmap renders miniature blurs instead of sharp shadows

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry00

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Lightmap renders miniature blurs instead of sharp shadows Reply with quote

It's me again Smile
So after hours to realize the DeleD lightmap author figured it would be funny to suddenly reverse the uv mapping to DirectX standards to confuse people that wish to import them, I came to a problem which might just be a setting I am missing.
I was hoping to have some brilliant sharp shadows on the floor but the only thing I end up with is a cute little blur that even gets cut in half by the floor in some places:

This could be looking much better, but I can't seem to fix it. The following scene should have the shadow of this wooden motorcycle projected onto the wall, instead it's just a little blur that's barely visible..

It would be great to get some advice on how to fix this, I was actually getting really excited..
Henry00

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small follow-up, by moving a light very close to the object and setting its intensity to 200 actually allowed a shadow on the wall, but it's still blurry and looks like seaweed Razz

AWM Mars

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you go to Options, Lightmapper and reduce the filter passes (blur) to 0, that might sharpen the shadows, also increase the range of the spot light, and use the cone angles to create a tighter light.

The shadows on the floor that are cut in half, maybe due to too large polygon sizes, try increasing the count on the floor below the motorcycle.

Check the shadow texture size is large enough for the quality you are looking for, and use a format other than jpg.

Checkout:
http://www.awm.mars.yourinside.com/
http://www.bccservices.co.uk
http://www.localtradecheck.co.uk
Henry00

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWM Mars wrote:
Perhaps if you go to Options, Lightmapper and reduce the filter passes (blur) to 0, that might sharpen the shadows, also increase the range of the spot light, and use the cone angles to create a tighter light.

I set the filter passes (blur) to 0, increased the range of the light to 2000, intensity to 400, I did not change the cone angles and came up with this result, it's actually a big improvements but very pixelated, this would be because of my maximum lightmap resolution then?

AWM Mars wrote:
The shadows on the floor that are cut in half, maybe due to too large polygon sizes, try increasing the count on the floor below the motorcycle.

I did read about that, in a way that's a good thing for performance (although my engine is now capable of 2000fps in free-run, who cares about those). I would have to replace the floor by a grid, I will try building everything using grids as that might really fix allot of those issues.

AWM Mars wrote:
Check the shadow texture size is large enough for the quality you are looking for, and use a format other than jpg.

By using gluBuild2DMipmaps (although you would expect leaking) everything looks very blurry and nice, the result went from pixelated to smooth lighting. I am currently using bmp (I will have to convert that to png though as the files are way too large, and png is lossless).

UPDATE:

By setting the minimal lightmap size to:
16x16 and the maximum to: 256x256 things started getting much better!

I will try solving this and give some more results, compilation time is horrible though now that it uses multiple files..
Henry00

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I finally got to the result I wanted thanks to the tips, so many thanks for that Very Happy !

Code:
Lightmap Size                   : 2048x2048
Individual Textures Minimum Size: 8x8
Individual Textures Maximum Size: 512x512
Number of (Blur) Filter Passes  : 5
Generate Shadows                : Yes
Normal Auto Smooth Crease Angle : 0

Scene Properties:
Ambient Color                   : (0,0,0)
Shadow Opacity                  : 100

You may want to play around with the Number of (Blur) Filter Passes! When I set it to be 3 the shadows are sharper and I believe this has the best effect for my game.

This topic should contain all the information you need if you have troubles like this, have fun!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you found the solution! Excellent results, too! Smile
Henry00

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And I must say that DeleD keeps amazing me in features Smile
Although I think I have to go to the feature request section again as my 2048x2048 BMP lightmap file is 12.0 MB. PNG is lossless and even mspaint.exe saves it to a simple 585 KB.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: