Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set/Change center of rotation?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfsong73

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Set/Change center of rotation? Reply with quote

Hello,

Me again with another question.

This is more of a "can Deled do this?" type thing.

Is there a way to tell the program what to use to as the center or "anchor" of an operation? Like, rotation, or scaling, etc?

It's a feature Blender has that is actually extremely helpful, especially when wanting to create things along curved walls, etc.

For those unfamiliar, in blender, you can tell it to use the "median" of selected objects, or a single object, as the center of operations (rotation, scaling). You can also tell it to use the 3D cursor (which can be placed where ever you want it in the 3D space).

Now, I know Deled doesn't have a 3D cursor, but perhaps the option of using either the selected object/sub-object, or telling it to use the scene origin as the anchor point.

It's handy in that, for example, in Blender, I've been working on a kind of atrium scene; basically a large, round, multi-floored room. By setting the anchor point to the world origin (via the cursor), I can rotate objects at any distance from the center, and it'll keep everything aligned correctly. Scaling works the same.. if I use the origin as the anchor for scaling something, it will scale out along the x and y (I disable the vertical axis in these operations), to make sure things remain aligned and symmetrical.

If there's no direct functionality to do this in Deled, is there something similar to this?

If not, may I offer a suggestion to possibly add that at some point in the future? It's a very helpful tool to have, and is an awesome time-saver.

Of course, it's a selfish request (as it's something I find myself missing not having it lol), but I think others would find it very helpful as well... I'm considering re-creating that atrium scene in Deled (for learning and perhaps for actual use), but I think it's going to be a lot harder trying to rotate and position things manually.

Again, if similar functionality is already there, then ignore my suggestion and ignore me lol. I just haven't found it yet, in the program or in the wiki.

I can post a couple screenshots or something from home to demonstrate what I'm talking about, if my description isn't very good (and it may well not be; I'm not that great at explaining things :p).

Thanks!
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you're talking about a pivot point, right? DeleD does not have one, although implementing it has been discussed on more than one occassion. As DeleD is open source, perhaps there is a Delphi programmer out there willing to give it a shot. But as Delphi programmers are a dying breed, it might be hard finding one.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Community Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: