Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UV Mapping issues

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoatRack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: UV Mapping issues Reply with quote

So, I have been using DeleD to work on making some models for a project I am working on, I got the model all formed and everything. Now it is time to UV Map it, I go look on the wiki for how to make some, and I follow the steps there... and I end up with this monstrosity:

Now, my question is this, is there anyway to get the program to not cram all the faces into that tiny texture box without any car of them over lapping? Or will I manually have to tear each face out of it, and scale it down to fit into the box all nice and neat?
Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there CoatRack and welcome to these forums. Smile

The results you're getting may be caused by:

1. overlapping polygons
2. multiple objects

The second one can be solved by merging your objects. Simply select all objects in Object mode (ctrl-A) and use the Merge tool. After that, press right-mouse in the UV view and select Generate UV - Box mapping from the context menu. This will make things better, although you probably will have to do some manual replacing in the UV view yourself, too.

Another thing you might try is to tidy up the objects. Try to not let polygons overlap because the UV generation tools cannot handle overlapping polygons. For example: the cylinder on top of the model overlaps with the polygon right below it. You could use the Unite tool to create a singe mesh for this.

To practice:

-create a single cube and a cylinder.
-place the cylinder on top of the cube and make sure it is slightly sunken into the cube
-select both objects in Object mode
-use the Unite tool
-examine the resulting mesh: it contains many more polygons which are not overlapping
-use the Optimize tool to tidy up the resulting mesh

Let me know if this helps. Smile
CoatRack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fixed it, but I have one more question. Now that it is all one object, will a skeleton be able to make the front of the object still open wide? A example of what I am talking about:

Jeroen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Just create a good skeleton for your object and assign individual vertices to joints. That'll work.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD 3D Modelling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: